Thread: Log lifting solution for truck?

Log lifting solution for truck?

I have seen plans somewhere on the internet for a device to lift log sections into a truck. It was a folding wood device like a big crude ladder that you rolled the log section onto. There was a block about halfway that the log section rested against so when you lifted the handles a little like a wheel barrow, it provided leverage to lift the log to pickup bed height. Anyone have plans for a device like this or know the link?

I don't have a pickup truck so am not interested in more complex hoist solutions that mount on the truck.
    God is great and life is good!

I have not seen what you describe but what I am doing is mounting a winch in the front of the bed and I have ramps for 4 wheelers. I'll back up to the wood, lower the tail gate, bring out the ramps, pull out the winch line and drag the wood up into the bed. When I get back to the shop, I have an engine picker to unload with.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Mike,
    Try Hilton Handcraft (all one word .com). They have plans that may be what you are looking for.
    Maria
    A woodchick can chuck wood

I had plans for a contraption like that at one time, but cannot locate it now. Here is a ONE DIMENSION drawing (sorry about my art work) Scan.jpgof what I remember about it. Maybe someone will remember seeing it and have the plans.

Mike,
    Check here to see if that's what your looking for.

http://www.hiltonhandcraft.com/articles/loglift.asp

Mike, I found something awhile back, but I think its at home. I really rough sketched my recollection, it crude, but maybe gets idea across.

1.You roll the log onto the short side, place your wedge/blocking in to secure it
    2. Lift the long side and the fulcrum legs will slide into place. You'll need a 'stop' to keep it from going past vertical.
    3. Since you dont have a truck, you'd make another set of fulcrum legs at the long end, but will need some way to lock them into place

then you can move the log whereever you need by relocating your wedges/blocking.

If I find the real narrative before you get a better response, I will post tomorrow.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Mike, then there are these:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks, Josh. The HiltonCraft one is the one I had in mind. Cheap, Easy and Effective. Seems like a saw a variation of it with a strap hinge on each leg so you could fold it in half.

Bill, that is the contraption you were drawing, isn't it?
    God is great and life is good!