Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Special hammer, what a surprise!

Special hammer, what a surprise!

A few months ago, I was happy enough to get a visit from Leigh Betsch and his family. They spent a few days here in Germany and visited me and my family in my home. Needless to say that I enjoyed the few hours we had really a lot.

A few days ago, I recieved a little package from the states. It was from Leigh! He surprised me with a shop made hammer head, but what a beautiful one. The head is milled out of bronze and the pein is O1 Steel that is silver soldered to the head. The shape is very thoughtful, the craftsmanship and the finish are top notch.

P1030733.jpg P1030735.jpg P1030734.jpg

I hurried up to handle that wonderful piece of jewelry by making my first hammer handle. The first idea was to make a handle of English yew. I love that wood and it is that tenacious that one hardly can find a better wood for a hammer handle. Sadly I wasn't able to work with this wood. I got very hard allergic reactions so I had to cancel the attempt.

The usual handle woods like Ash or Hickory I didn't like to use since they visually don't do justice to the wonderfully crafted head. I remembered to have a board of caramelized Maple. Yes, the wood, Veritas uses for chisel handles. And: It's an original Veritas wood since I was lucky enough to get one board from Rob!

This wood I was able to work without allergies. It should stand the stresses since it's straight grained. I'm happy with it.

P1030738.jpg P1030737.jpg P1030732.jpg

Thank you Leigh, It was a big surprise, I will cherish this fine tool.

Klaus
    Last edited by Klaus Kretschmar; 03-18-2013 at 3:15 PM.
    Klaus Kretschmar

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing the story, it looks wonderful too as does your handle. I especially like the diamond shape where it meets the head.

Very cool! What a great surprise. Leigh, you can come over to my home anytime
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

No kidding, Chris!

Beautiful piece. What's the weight of the head?

Shame about the reaction to the yew - I know how much of a bummer it can be to get a reaction to a wood you'd really like to work. There's only a couple that bug me, and nothing too bad yet, but I'm avoiding it and using extreme care as I chew through the last of my scraps, but it's a bummer all around.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

5. Hi Klaus,

this is a wonderful hammer, a great handle and even better news! Even if Robs wood would be the only one You can work. Heck, the we'd need more of that stuff.

Cheers
    Pedder

Beautiful handle! I have a liking for handles that have a "swelled area" like yours-feel very good in hand.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Wow, that's a beautiful hammer. You must have been a very good host

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Great hammer!! I haven't forgotten our deal,Klaus. Just haven't gotten through other obligations. I will supply yours with handles so you won't have to get allergies.

Great looking handle Klaus, I knew you would make a nice one. Too bad the yew didn't work but the maple looks very nice and appropriate for the use. You've got a much better eye for the shape of things than I do.

Yeah Klaus was a very good host, the lunch alone was worth more than the hammer head, not to mention all the German wine!
    The Plane Anarchist

"Beautiful" does not describe, nor compliment excellence.
    I'd say excellence is exhibited by both craftsman. Very well executed gentlemen.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Blog Entries
    Very nice work on the handle and the head.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    What's the weight of the head?
    I didn't weigh the head before attatching the handle. The completed hammer weighs 190 grams so the head probably weighs 150 - 160 grams (about 5 1/2 oz)
    Klaus Kretschmar

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Great hammer!! I haven't forgotten our deal,Klaus. Just haven't gotten through other obligations. I will supply yours with handles so you won't have to get allergies.
    Great offer, George, thanks a lot! I haven't forgotten our deal neither. Actually I am the brake since I'm still unable to use my shop to make handles. The hammer handle I made in the shop of a woodworker friend. The coming weekend, Pedder and 2 more friends will visit me to make a BIG clean up of my shop. I hope to be able to restart the woodworking in my shop after that.

Cheers
    Klaus
    Klaus Kretschmar

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    Great looking handle Klaus, I knew you would make a nice one. Too bad the yew didn't work but the maple looks very nice and appropriate for the use. You've got a much better eye for the shape of things than I do.
    Glad that you like the handle, Leigh.

Regarding the wonderful work on this hammer head and on some planes you showed here, I've to state that you have a VERY good eye for the shape of tools.

Cheers
    Klaus
    Klaus Kretschmar

Will it be used, and if so what is the intended purpose? A brass face wouldn't work for riveting, but the peen looks like a riveting one?