Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What tool would you give up for your Festool Domino XL?

What tool would you give up for your Festool Domino XL?

I have been seriously considering the Domino as my next tool purchase. It would add a whole new level of speed and accuracy to my joinery. Since I am only in the shop a few hours each week, this would likely allow me to complete a few more projects a year, not to mention proceed with more complex/bigger projects that I have been putting off.

But then again. . .$1200 is a whole lot of money, and if I don't get the Domino, I would most likely spend it on one of the following:

1. 17" Grizzly Bandsaw (my 14" is on its last legs)
    2. CI Router table extension and new router (with money left over)
    3. Drum Sander in the 24" range (used)

So to those who own the Domino (or faced with a similar decision), would you trade any of the three above tools for it? Not forever, but lets say until next years tax return, or yearly bonus, etc.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

None.
    I would use the router table with a slot cutter and biscuits, M&T, or dowels.
    Or, my garage sale PC joiner.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Why do you want to get the XL? The regular Domino does everything I want to do and it's a good bit less expensive. Unless you're building doors or some really big stuff I don't think you need the XL.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I looked at the regular Domino, and it might be enough tool for me (I would just just multiple domino in larger joints), but at $900, I would still need to choose one or the other.

So if someone walked into your shop and demanded to borrow your Domino for a year. . .would you point to any of the other tools I mentioned and say take that one instead?

Out of that list, the drum sander goes. Why? I prefer planes.

I think the drum sander should go. IMO, it's one of those things that is somewhat over rated. Most the commercial shops I've worked in don't have a wide format sander. I've always found it intriguing how many hobbiest have them. They don't save too much time unless your dealing with commercial sized cutlists and they don't really add to your capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Why do you want to get the XL? The regular Domino does everything I want to do and it's a good bit less expensive. Unless you're building doors or some really big stuff I don't think you need the XL.

Mike
    I agree with Mike here, though I admit I have not used the XL. I certainly would give up on a drum sander in favor of the Domino. With the Domino I can build doors, panels, shelves or table tops with surfaces so well aligned that I don't need drum sanding!
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Well Dan, it's tough to answer your question because none of your alternate tool choices make mortises.

Do you presently make mortises? If so how?

I mostly make Arts and Crafts furniture, so lots of mortises, yet I don't own a Domino. I have a hollow chisel mortiser for mortises, and a shaper for tenons.

You do state that the Domino would allow you to complete more projects per year, and improve your speed and accuracy.

I think that's the relevant point, and probably can't be said for your alternate choices.

Would a hollow chisel mortiser be a suitable choice for you? They're less expensive..............Rod.

I don't use my multi-router nearly as much now.

My situation (which might be different than yours - well, not 'might' - certainly is because everyone is different).

I make a lot of M&T. And use a variety of methods including:

Mortising bits on the Drill press - $30 on CL

Drill and then cleanup by hand - ($30? mortising chisel?) - this method I have abandoned

Wirth Machine - $550 on CL. My current favorite method of mortising. Just clamp it down and go.

WoodRat - $400? on CL. My current favorite way for making Tenons, especially compound angles (I put a digital readout on it and its a lot like a mill now)

Tenoning jig on table saw - my previous favorite way of cutting Tenons. I think this cost about $75 when I bought it.

Pocket screws - I use these more than I used to, for when I just want to put the thing together. There are a number of projects where I dont 'need' fancy joinery and this is a way to get it together more quickly. About $50 for the pocket hole guide.

Hand cut - I do this occasionally. But almost always I rough cut on the band saw and then clean up with shoulder/rabbet planes. Chopping mortises by hand isnt something I do much of - I dont get the clean edges I get with the power tools, but maybe I just need practice.

So obviously Im not against picking up another tool, and in fact had an option on the smaller Domino off CL not long ago for $500 (bad cable I was told). I thought it through and decided I just wouldnt use it.

I couldnt live without a bandsaw - so would have that high on my list (which doesnt mean an upgrade is essential). And my drum sander gets a lot of use - I put almost everything through it to final thickness and clean up any chipout/etc - its not just for large pieces.

$.02. YMMV and ATJ (All That Jazz)

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I think the drum sander should go. IMO, it's one of those things that is somewhat over rated.
    While Im not saying all hobby shops would benefit, I simply dont see how any shop moving a good bit of work could do without some form of wide sander. The increased production from even a small drum sander (that doesnt give more headache than its worth) is unquestionable. There is simply no way I can take material straight from the planer, give it a few quick licks with some 180 on the RO, and finish it. Thats what happens when it comes out of the sander. In my shop, with out a sander, we are left sanding every board off the planer, cabinet door, face frame, trim, anything, through multiple grits, all by hand. Its a phenomenal waste of time. The instant the sander hit the shop floor it was one of the biggest boosts to production of any tool we have. I would guess the quantity of RO paper we use dropped by 80%, and speed went up markedly.

And the time wasted isnt just in the sanding but shop cleanliness for us improved drastically. If all your sanding is RO your left either packing around hoses, fighting with inadequate dust collection at the tool, or investing in a downdraft table. My shop stays far cleaner with the sander doing the bulk work and just fine cleanup by hand. The wear and tear on your body of hand sanding is greatly reduced as well.

Its an invaluable tool for me but just my $0.02

I would take a wide sander, or any other in the list, over a 1200.00 hand tool any day. There are too many less expensive ways to do what the domino does. If its a production environment where it would earn you money, yeah, but based on the other tools in the list, the domino is the last thing Id be thinking about buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Ness View Post
    So if someone walked into your shop and demanded to borrow your Domino for a year. . .would you point to any of the other tools I mentioned and say take that one instead?
    Demanded? For a year? I'd say "take a hike".
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

13. I just built my own domino for less than $100 and I really don't have a use for it. Ido mortise and tenon joinery but have several other methods for that I feel are more cost effective for that. I wouldn't even give up my biscuit joiner for one let alone another tool.

I'd give up drum sander also.

I do not have the XL but the original domino - got it soon after it was introduced. I have found i use the 5mm cutter more than all the others put together - mostly for cabinet case construction & face frames. there is no tool equivalent that I know of that lets you put mortices in the center of a panel quickly & precisely - if I was making a lot of doors or large structures where I needed a tenon > 10mm I would get the XL but that has yet to happen.

Well it really depends on what you are doing. I am making cabinets at this time and wouldn't even think of giving up my sander. I also wouldn't even think of buying a Domino. The sander allows me to make my materials flat and to the dimension which speed up assembly and makes cutting the cope and rails much easier, starting with like thickness. That said, my second highest priority is the router table, following the bandsaw. I can surly live without a Domino, but the other three are most important to me. However someone else may flip the order depending on what they are doing. No right or wrong answer here, just depends on the type of woodworking you are most interested doing.

Bill