Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Countdown to the Baileigh $1,600 givaway / contest !!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    How about something like the Freestuff drawings, BUT, each entry has to showcase a project donated to some good cause.
    As Keith mentioned about the communications (or lack of said skillset), contests that require projects generally are disadvantageous to those without already fully stocked shops. It's a chicken/egg scenario. I have seen several project contests where a small laser is being given away... guess who wins? Yep, the projects that required a laser to build. I don't enter those because I think it's unfair to the people who don't already have one like me.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    As Keith mentioned about the communications (or lack of said skillset), contests that require projects generally are disadvantageous to those without already fully stocked shops. It's a chicken/egg scenario. I have seen several project contests where a small laser is being given away... guess who wins? Yep, the projects that required a laser to build. I don't enter those because I think it's unfair to the people who don't already have one like me.
    I think you missed a key point in my post. Some sort of project must be posted, but the selection would be RANDOM.

That way the guy that donated a park bench made from two-by material will have the same chance as a guy that outfitted an entire church.

The point isn't to do the most or the best.

It is just to do SOMETHING.

And you can build a park bench with a handsaw and drill. You don't NEED a fancy shop full of expensive tools to help your community.

Contests are not drawings.

The word contest denotes a competition to me and Shane has announced this one as a contest. Dan I don't necessarily think that woodworkers with the best tools have as big an advantage as others might believe. I referenced the carvers forum and the beautiful work that has been done with a simple carving knife, the old money thread has 62,647 views and 191 posts, it wouldn't be that popular if the work shared wasn't incredible.

The Itsy Bitsy turning contest we hosted in the past had little to do with how expensive your lathe was.

If the judges selected are impartial and knowledgeable enough to do a good job they will be able to adjust their opinions based on the tools used.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-26-2013 at 9:00 AM.

[QUOTE]
    The Itsy Bitsy turning contest we hosted in the past had little to do with how expensive your lathe was.
    The point here is you still must have a lathe to use to enter a turning contest right???
    That alone limited that contest to Lathe owners & would exclude the rest of the community here at the creek from the opportunity to enter.
    Just my two cents.

Show a nice piece of un-turned wood that really neeeeds your tools.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Blog Entries
    I think you missed a key point in my post. Some sort of project must be posted, but the selection would be RANDOM.
    You're right, I did miss that, Phil. In that case, random selection for any project seems nice... I do plenty of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Contests are not drawings.
    The problem with any sort of juried contest is, it highly favors those with existing finely honed skills at the expense of those new to the craft.

I think the sponsor would be wise to appeal to as wide a group of woodworkers (both accomplished and newbies) possible. After all, they want to sell tools to everyone, not just semi-pros, right?

And I really think the way to achieve this is to force every entrant to create some sort of project, but then for the selection of a winner to be randomized.

And the beauty of the donation angle is, each entry would have an explanation of the motivation of the woodworker. It would make for some fascinating reading, IMHO. And it would truly leverage the good names of both Baileigh and SMC!

Lots of good points have been addressed however none are as important as the idea of engaging people who get involved. Sitting on your hands waiting for a name to be announced is a far cry from creating something. No matter what the specifications are everyone wins when they are motivated to submit a project in order to participate.

Even if the quest is just to submit an idea there is at least a thought process involved followed by the task of providing a description. I'm not a big fan of writing contests here because we are a creative community who produce tangible projects on a day to day basis. A challenging contest would have to require a tangible item to be produced if it is meaningful to the majority here.

Phil, people who have experience will almost always have an edge......thats life. There is no personal satisfaction to be gained from having your name selected from a list so a random selection isn't much of a contest.

Blog Entries
    And the beauty of the donation angle is, each entry would have an explanation of the motivation of the woodworker. It would make for some fascinating reading, IMHO.
    Excellent point... I love reading the good stories. A few "I was bored" will be in there, but the good stories start with "I always wondered what if..." or "This piece of wood has been staring at me form the corner of my shop after I picked it up from a 100-year old barn once owned by James Dean..." or some such thing. Some people are better story tellers than they give themselves credit for.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Phil, people who have experience will almost always have an edge......thats life. There is no personal satisfaction to be gained from having your name selected from a list so a random selection isn't much of a contest.
    Fair enough. Baileigh were asking for ideas, I thought I'd oblige.

I think the price of entry should be to make something specified by Shane. Something not overly complex but also something that could showcase those over achievers. Like a box. No contest on ability but rather just motivation to get engaged. I've had good luck challenging the neanders to make wood planes. It gets people engaged and off the couch. Those that post an entry would have their names in the hat for the drawing. Someone wins, gets a nice prize, everyone else gets a box, and some shop time. SMC gets a thread full of box pics for a sticky!
    The Plane Anarchist

Leigh,

Your box idea is perfect. A box can be made by almost every group here so the maximum number of people could participate. Flat boxes, turned boxes, CNC boxes, laser cut boxes and even hand carved boxes.
    Do we need to specify a maximum size or any other parameters ?
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-27-2013 at 9:55 AM.

Glad to be of help. Now I gotta get to box making, me and my big mouth....
    The Plane Anarchist

14. Here is a link to the contest thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...test-Win-1-600-!!!!!!
    Shane Henderson
    Baileigh Industrial Woodworking
    920-482-3220
    shenderson@baileighindustrial.com

Visit our sponsored forum here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdis...2-Baileigh-Inc

Blog Entries
    An excellent contest in the end (not just because I won) no one was snippy or disrespectful. I actually was able to compete against some of the most advanced technology and still pull it off. Goes to show the playing field can be even, even if there are computer controlled devises competing. I can promise you, the projects made with those machines still had a tremendeous amount of hands on work done to them. In my case,I built my box on the end of my table saw, nothing fancy. I have to say it was a real pleasure to be in the contest with the others that chose to enter. I think I can say we all had fun. Well done SMC & Baileigh's
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.