Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chisel choice

Thanks for all the feedback. I purchased a set of Wood river chisels over the weekend and just wasn't too impressed once I got them home and really looked at them. The fit and finish is rough and one of bevel edges is not even straight. Quite wavy in fact. They are also scratched and dinged along the side edges and that just isn't what I am looking for. I would like to be the one to put the first ding in them.

So I am going to return them and get some while LV has free shipping.

Thanks again,
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike Cozad; 03-19-2013 at 9:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cozad View Post
    If you only had the choices of the Woodcraft Wood River chisels and Narex chisels to choose from, which would you choose and why? This will be my first chisel purchase and on my budget I have narrowed my choices down to these so far.
    Off hand, I would take the Narax. I had a set of Narax Mortising chisels that was fine. Sold them because I had an even better set and I don't use the mortise chisels often.

If you ever make it down to Columbus, give me a holler, I have a variety of styles from which to try if you are interested.

What do you anticipate doing most with your chisels?

If you can figure out how to make the sharp and keep them sharp, even a cheap junk chisel will work. I can't even begin to guess how much time I have spent using a totally junk chisel. For example, I picked up a set of these from my Father, they were my first set. ($12 here)

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-16-150.../dp/B00002X1YO

They don't hold an edge well, probably have a horrid shape, but I used them for so long, that I am used to them. Note that I also own several other chisels (both old and new), just saying sometimes you make do. I actually bought a set of those just to practice sharpening on a new sharper before I hit it with my better chisels.

As with the others I'll go with the Narexes just because of prior experience. They've always been startlingly high quality for the price; the only reason I replaced mine is that I like London pattern handles. The mortisers are actually pretty sturdy for modern chisels; the only ones I've seen that I like better are the Ray Iles chisels.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Hughes (CA) View Post
    As with the others I'll go with the Narexes just because of prior experience. They've always been startlingly high quality for the price; the only reason I replaced mine is that I like London pattern handles. The mortisers are actually pretty sturdy for modern chisels; the only ones I've seen that I like better are the Ray Iles chisels.
    I had both sets, which is why I sold my Narex set :-)