Thread: Source of vase inserts?

Source of vase inserts?

Any suggestions for plastic or glass inserts to allow wet flower stems to go into a turned vase or weed pot?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Brian, Test tubes make great flower holders (wet). Also flower shops use small plastic ones for sending some cut flowers home to keep them hydrated.
    The test tubes should be available at arts and craft stores. Or the local laboratory?
    Good luck, look forward to seeing your creations.
    Peter F.

Cigar tubes work well, test tube suppliers all over the internet. CSUSA sells them as well.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Brian,

I use vinyl tubing and hot glue the bottom shut so as to be watertight. The tubing has enough flex in it so that it stays put when you insert it into your piece. I'll post a couple of pics when I get home if that will help.........................
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I've been getting them at craft supply. They also have stainless inserts that are large enough for a whole bouquet! Be careful with the glass inserts. Make sure the piece is completely dry and you leave the insert a little loose . The tubes can crack as the wood dries!
    Tom

Thank you for saying that, Tom. So obvious once you said it.

I was at my local florest here in town last fall and asked her about them, she sold me about a dozen for a quarter each. If you have one close stop in and ask them.

Quote Originally Posted by tom martin View Post
    I've been getting them at craft supply. They also have stainless inserts that are large enough for a whole bouquet! Be careful with the glass inserts. Make sure the piece is completely dry and you leave the insert a little loose . The tubes can crack as the wood dries!
    Tom
    And make sure no one picks up the vase to look at the bottom and dumps the glass tube on the floor. DAMHIKT.

Oh, that hurts, Curt.

Packards also has glass tubes in a little longer length than CS.
    http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merc...r-glasbvstubes
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Brian,

Here are a couple of pics of what I do. This is a smaller piece of tubing, but I have used up to 1 1/4" with no issues. I'm not a big fan of glass tubes.

Cut the tubing to length, apply a glob of hot glue to one end, push it down onto a piece of wax paper. Remove, repeat as necessary until a seal is achieved. Trim as required. Stuff the tube into a slightly larger hole in the vase. The natural bend of the tubing provides friction where it won't fall out.

I own a florist. I do this all the time..............zero complaints.

Hope this helps.

Rich

photo(1).JPGphoto.JPG
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA