Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Turn Black Locust?

Anyone Turn Black Locust?

I recently cut a couple pickup loads of black locust for firewood. Naturally several pieces have migrated to my lathe. The wood is still green and I expected it to turn easily. It seemed to fight me throughout the whole process. I wanted to use a spur drive but couldn't keep it from spinning out so I mounted it on a face plate. I tried sharp tools but it just didn't cut well. I won the fight and finally got it turned green to finish but I'm not sure I won the war. Waiting now to see how it dries.

Anyone else turn black locust? What were your experiences with it?

TomCollins

Well, it is hard. And then it is hard. You can not be aggressive when cutting/turning this wood. Not a lathe big enough, or tools tough enough to do that. Just have to take lighter cuts. Colors can be beautiful, but I like it best when it has had a chance to oxidize into an amber color like the Osage. Some people can react/are allergic to this wood, so if any lung congestion, put a mask on, or burn it. Seems to take 2 years drying before it is ready to burn out here.

robo hippy

It makes some cool coloring if you soak it in a bucket with vinegar and steelwool. Turn wet, I like high speed and lite cuts vs low speed and heavy.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

I have had some roughouts drying for about a year now and have noticed only minimal weight reduction. Very dense wood. I would be careful putting this wood in an open fire. As it retains moisture more than most wood, it could boil from the inside and explode, causing some harm to people near.

Ian

When I started turning in 2009, one of the first few pieces of wood I picked up to play on was a piece of locust firewood. That was also the last piece of locust I attempted to turn!! Just call me a wuss, but I don't need the abuse, and I have never really seen much about it that justified the effort. Aussie burls are like turning concrete, as well, but hardly a comparison in finished appearance!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Upwood View Post
    I have had some roughouts drying for about a year now and have noticed only minimal weight reduction. Very dense wood. I would be careful putting this wood in an open fire. As it retains moisture more than most wood, it could boil from the inside and explode, causing some harm to people near.

Ian
    It is some of the best firewood, but it and hedgeapple/osage pop a lot when burned - even after a year of seasoning. I haven't witnessed any exploding wood, but it can sure make a racket!

I have turned some Black Locust, starts off with a nice greenish yellow color and then changes into nice dark golden color.

It is one of the hardest native woods, but I didn't find it that hard to turn while still green, it does gets harder to do when dry, but a good sharp gouge still will cut it just fine, just don't expect it to cut like soft Maple.

Here's one platter/plate that I have a picture from, it was rough turned and then returned when dry, I wish I had some more of that Black Locust to turn, as I like the look and finish of it.

Black Locust plate:platter.jpg Black Locust plate:platter bottom.jpg
    Have fun and take care

7. I have some black locust in my shop.......I was given a log about 6 ft. in length.....have not turned it yet, but have cut a couple of blanks from it that are drying inside my shop. The grain structure reminds me of oak........even crosscutting on the bandsaw, you can see some rays.

Is black locust in the oak family........Leo will probably know the answer to that, but anyone with knowledge can chime in! thanks!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I have turned several pieces. It is pretty hard and sharp tools are in order when green. When it dries it is like putting a chunk of concrete on the lathe. I had to sharpen my gouges every few turns. Definitely wear a mask or respirator when turning.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks to everyone for your insights on turning black locust. They pretty much mirror my experience. Roger, black locust is actually from the pea family and will fix nitrogen in the soil as will peas. I have seen people interplant it with black walnut. The locust trains the walnut to grow straight and upright while providing free fertilizer. Really makes a difference in the growth of the walnut.

I had tried to turn a natural edge bowl. The cambium layer right under the bark just wanted to shred an tear out. I think I will try another piece but with a regular edge to it. The grain is quite attractive.

TomC

My neighbor gave me some left over 6x6 pieces he was using for fence posts. The wood was air dried and was extremely difficult to work with. It's definitely easier if you can remove as much wood before hand with a chainsaw or grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I have some black locust in my shop.......I was given a log about 6 ft. in length.....have not turned it yet, but have cut a couple of blanks from it that are drying inside my shop. The grain structure reminds me of oak........even crosscutting on the bandsaw, you can see some rays.

Is black locust in the oak family........Leo will probably know the answer to that, but anyone with knowledge can chime in! thanks!
    Black Locust is very closely related to Honey Locust and Redbud, the name Robinia pseudoacacia, tells that the tree is very much like an Acacia, and it is part of the bean family.

Wood fibers are cross-linked like in Elm, and the wood is very rot resistant when in ground contact, good fence post , better for turning wood IMO
    Have fun and take care

Black locust is another species of "escaped tropicals" so called because they very obviously evolved in the tropics and were able to thrive in the temperate zone later. They usually exibit large leaves, large showy flowers and fruit, rot resistant wood, very hard or very soft wood. Others are bo,darc, mullberry, honey locust, catalpa and others introduced by man recently.

Robert, black locust, Robinia pseudoacacia, is native to the southeastern United States but has been planted extensively throughout North America. I am not aware of it being considered an invasive such as paulownia, autumn olive or bush honeysuckle. One of the things I really look forward to each spring is the scent of the black locust blossoms............like heaven on earth!

TomC

And those black locust blossoms and bees make some wonderful honey! Add some biscuits, and life will be really great at breakfast time!

Not just the Souther part of the US, it is native to the southern part of Ontario, where the Carolinian forest is present.
    Calling it and escaped tropical Is a misnomer if I ever heard one IMO, being part of the bean family the range of types and conditions where these plants can and do grow is amazing, counting the different species in the thousands, and you would find this very adaptable plants that will hang on in desert and cold conditions and thrive where others can't, certainly did not have to escape from the tropics, no jailbird tree
    Have fun and take care