Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source for casters?

Source for casters?

I am getting ready to start a router table build. I want to put locking casters on it. I want to be able to roll it out of the way when not in use.

Anybody got any good sources for casters? I have been looking at Grainger and McMaster-Carr.

Thanks!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Grizzly casters have been good to me, servicing workbenches and a lumber rack.

I have a lot of these in the shop.

https://www.sescasters.com/scripts/i...r_series_id=19

I get the first one in the list. Really smooth operators.

Click on 'Products' to see their entire line of casters.

Zambus and Great Lakes Casters are the nicer more costly kind.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

The Surplus Center usually has a good selection at reasonable prices. New and Used.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/wheels.asp?catname=wheels

For a router table you'll want swivel lock and brake.

Tony
    Last edited by Tony Joyce; 03-20-2013 at 6:50 PM.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

I've ordered from Great Lakes several times...good for the cheap stuff all the way to the more expensive leveling casters.

Steelex casters on Amazon are also decent for all-purpose double-locking casters. They used to be a bit cheaper though...when I ordered they were around $6ea for 3" double-locking.

+2 or +3 for Great Lakes casters.
    Good prices/great service.

You can try the promo code of CM to see if it still works for a 25% discount.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Check this link out Ken. They have lot's of other goodies too. They have a wide variety of products and it does change but usually very good prices. Just add the WWW surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?keyword=TCPL&catname=wheels&PAGELEN=10000

Grizzly/ShopFox casters from Amazon. Inexpensive and well made. Huge range. "Free" delivery (if you have Prime).

Castercity.com

Woodcraft are the best ones I have used. The ones from Hartville Tool are not bad for the money after the discount. There is just a little play when locked compared to teh Woodcraft ones.

I buy the heavy duty polyurethane ones from Lee Valley
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...at=1,240,66331
    They aren't cheap but they lock in all directions, roll easily, and are super durable. If you're actually going to roll it around a lot and keep locking/unlocking the wheels I would spend the money. Do it once. I've used crappy caster before and it wasn't worth it in the long run... This is all I buy now so I don't have any experience with the ones everyone else is recommending... Good luck on your project!

Art

Ken, when I build fairly light shop furniture I don't use casters, I use wheels on one end and feet on the other, similar to a BBQ.

The furniture doesn't move when I'm using it, the larger wheels ride over dirt on the floor well, and the stuff is light enough to move without much effort.

Regards, Rod.

+1 for castercity.com - I needed heavy duty low profile casters for my new workbench and they had stuff nobody else had - all ball bearing wheels & swivel with a 900# load rating per caster for 35$ per

One thing I would consider re the Zambus/Great Lakes style casters. Do you have to bend over or squat down to raise and lower the feet? I've never used 'em so don't know. For my mobile bases I did like Rod suggests. The downside is that my bases don't really move sideways like 4 swiveling casters would permit.