Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Source for casters?

I bought some casters off ebay that have been good.

And some other surplus heavy duty ones off craigslist.

Then recently I purchased two sets of casters from Woodcraft:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/202...ed-4-pack.aspx

These are very nice and if Im doing something that I want to come out well and be able to 'level' on the feet - I do recommend them. (I did completely overload one and blew out the leveling foot, but thats nothing to do with the caster design and me just abusing it)

Ken,
    I have bought other products from this source. They typically give you 50% off your first order and they do have an assortment of casters.
    http://www.alliance-express.com/1303...2BUQ8JT4h0%3D;
    Jim

Amazon.com

Before you decide, you would do well to check Caster City. They offer telephone guidance in selecting from their remarkable variety of choices. Advice regarding size, load, rolling surface, and durability, and the way you use the tool.

This was kind of mentioned before but I'll reiterate: If you put casters on your router table make sure you get the type that locks both the wheel and the swivel. I put the type on that just locks the wheel and the table moves around a bit - which is really annoying. I generally shove the table up against my workbench to help keep it stable when I use it. I think I'm going to do as Rod and Curt suggested and put wheels on just one end so it's on 4 solid feet when stationary.

Bill

What others have said, Great Lakes and Zambus!!
    Have them on all my machines, move around like they are on air.

At work we use a lot of casters for displays and get them from Harbor Freight

Quote Originally Posted by pat warner View Post
    I have been extremely impressed with Caster City. They have lots of information on their site to help you pick the correct caster for your application and get them to you quickly and and a very good price. They will help you further if you don't find all the info that you desire. There seem to be thousands of available combinations of size, wheel material, bearing type, etc. etc.

Pat's choice above is a perfect example of one that locks the wheel and the swivel mechanism. Recently I have used their 4" Model 9 with a Polyolefin wheel for a heavy static load. They are very impresive for about the same price as the junk from HF.

Here is a link: http://www.castercity.com/
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 03-23-2013 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Link added

I have used the double locking casters from Woodcraft on almost all of my mobile tables and machines and could not be happier. They typically go on sale every once in awhile and are a couple of dollars off each caster.

Have put the Woodcrafters orange lockable casters on my lathe, steel framed welding and tool carts, a moveable workbench, and on my in-process router cabinet...need to install sides and bolt on top. Have not yet had a problem with materials taking a set or with the locks.

I buy double locking casters from Lee Valley, where I get most of my hardware.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Most of mine are from SES but the last batch (I've ordered sets on my own and been part of several group buys) we ordered the same part number and they cheapened them up significantly, going from cast foot break components to stamped, and more importantly really weakening the swivel lock to the point that I probably won't order any more from them again.

I picked up casters for my router table (WIP) from Menard's. They have an entire aisle of casters in my location and you can find about everything there that is in a mail-order place like Northern Tool. I'd recommend 3-4" casters as I used 5" ones and the table sits a little higher than expected. It does roll nicely over my somewhat uneven floor and through wood shavings, though.