Thread: Noise level readings in the shop

Noise level readings in the shop

I thought I would put this out as a supplement to the thread about hearing loss/protection without hijacking that thread completely. Recently, my shop had a noise survey completed to see what the exposure rates were for the different tools operated in the shop.

All the readings listed were with the machines under load (actually cutting, drilling, etc). Some of these machines may not apply to every shop, but since I do a little bit of everything, we tried to get the DB levels of a different range of tools in and around the shop that make noise. We didn’t get them all, but I’m sure you can extrapolate from these readings to compare to other tools in your shops. The readings were taken with an audiology department noise meter.

Caveat: Your machine noise levels may vary depending on manufacturer, work load, or other factors.

Tool Noise level in DB Tool Noise level in DB
    Air compressor (purge and fill) 92db Metal chop/cut-off saw (table) 104db
    Band saw 92db Miter saw (12”) 103db
    Belt sander (hand held, elec) 98db Mortising machine 67db
    bench grinder (metal) 90db Nail gun (18ga, 100psi) 92db
    biscuit jointer 88db palm sander (1/4 sheet) 90db
    Chainsaw (74cc, 24") 104db Planer (20”) 88db
    Circular saw (battery) 95db push mower 94db
    Circular saw (electric) 106db random orbit sander (5") 88db
    CNC machine 103db reciprocating saw (battery) 94db
    Drill (battery, handheld, 1/2" 85db Riding lawn mower (54") 90db
    Drill (elec, handheld, 1/2" chuck) 91db Router (table mounted) 93db
    Drill press (1hp) 77db Sanding center (disk/belt combo) 87db
    Drum sander (22/44) 80db Scroll saw (20”) 80db
    dust collector (from shop area) 75db shop fan (exhaust) 70db
    Earlex 5500 sprayer 80db Spindle sander 72db
    framing nailer (16P) 102db Table saw (4/4 rip) 91db
    Grinder (hand held, electric) 94db Tormek sharpener 63db
    Hammer drill/chisel 91db weed trimmer 98db
    Jig saw (battery) 96db Worksharp 3000 72db
    Jointer (8", 1/8” edge cut, 4/4) 92db Welder (miller, mig) 68db
    Lathe (16/42) 74db

Thank you very much for this information.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

A3-31 Noise.JPG

Very interesting John, thanks for posting.

My Hammer A3-31 jointer/planer came with the following noise specifications, note that this is for the standard cartridge knife system.

Regards, Rod.

A link to how loud it too loud over time.

http://www.dangerousdecibels.org/edu...me-guidelines/
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

How far from each tool was the reading made? Where an operators ears would be I assume. fascinated that a chainsaw and miter saw are the same. My Stihl chainsaw is deafening but my Makita miter saw isn't so bad.

Thanks for taking the time and it's an interesting chart to peruse.

Over the past few years I have purchased tools specifically for their lower sound than competitors, a Fein Turbo II, Makita MAC2400 compressor, new drill press, Mirka sander, Bosch router. I still wear ear plugs in my home shop all the time though.
    Last edited by John Schweikert; 03-21-2013 at 1:49 PM.

All the readings were taken at approximately 1 1/2' to 2'. tried to replicate the distance ears are from the tool as best we could. Sometimes that was difficult because while I was operating the tool, someone else was holding the meter. Yesterday I wore a small dosimeter clipped to my shirt next to my ear for the whole day. It should give a reading of how much noise I was exposed to throughout the day. I don't have the results back from that one yet.

It is deinitely true about different manufacturers tools and noise. Especially with compressors. Oilless or oiled makes a huge difference. My small portable Porter Cable pancake probaly runs at about 115db whereas the large 80 gal IR runs at 92db, but it doesn't have to fill very often. My Grizzly 20" planer is leaps and bounds quieter than my old Dewalt 12".

The miter saw tested was a Dewalt DW718 and the chainsaw was a Stihl MS460.

Shop Noise

Your data are valuable for woodworkers but should be understood in context of hearing damage. The accepted environmental sound level standard is in A-weighted decibels (dbA), rather than db. We don't know if your measurements were taken in dbA, but presumably not. Some OSHA standards are attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

the chart saith that riding mower dc are 92 but the rider are sitting on the seat between 4 to 6 feet from the cutting deck and the engine, what would the dc be at this distance ?

/

Blog Entries
    John, thanks for taking time to make all of thos measurements.

Other than my dust collector (70 dBA at my table saw, saw not running), I haven't done any noise measurements. I just know that the only tools for I wear hearing protection when using is my Delta lunchbox planer and my router table, especially when using the big panel cutting bit. Oh, and my PC belt sander. I found that for me foam earplugs inserted as far as possible are quieter than earmuff style hearing protection.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 03-21-2013 at 7:18 PM.

I think my loudest device in my place is the Shop Vac. I use ear muffs so much I don't remember to take them off. I have had some strange looks while using a hand plane with ear muffs.

There are a few android (and I'm sure Apple) apps measuring the noise level. I cannot vouch for their precision, but based my some comparisons between the app's readings and manufacturers' specs hey seem pretty accurate.
    To understand recursion, one must first understand recursion

Ear plugs are generally slightly more effective then muffs but can be used together as well. If you do much welding or torch cutting it is highly recommended that you use ear protection not for the noise but the risk of having hot slag or sparks enter the ear canal. Not a good thing I assure you. Also if you use an air arc you need the noise protection anyway so it does double duty.

My wife says its too late for me, she says I'm almost deaf anyway...

Blog Entries
    Normally sound level readings should be taken from the normal operators position to be of value. Where were these readings taken in relation to where the machine operator would normally be?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by David Winer View Post
    Your data are valuable for woodworkers but should be understood in context of hearing damage. The accepted environmental sound level standard is in A-weighted decibels (dbA), rather than db. We don't know if your measurements were taken in dbA, but presumably not. Some OSHA standards are attached.
    My apolgies for listing these as db. The readings are in fact DBA with an OSHA meter used by the hospital audiology center (I had to call and ask).

The person taking the readings was standing next to me for the reading, holding the meter over my shoulder close to ear level. this was true for most of the tools with a few exceptions for the sake of safety for me and the person taking the readings. There are some tools that just can't have two people standing next to each other that close and operate the tool safely.

When I get the reading back from the dosimeter I wore for the whole day in the shop I will attach the findings. That gives a better reading of how much noise I endured throuout the day. I will post what tools were used during that period as well.
    Last edited by John Pratt; 03-22-2013 at 4:23 PM.