Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Two Damaged G0609's

Two Damaged G0609's

It's been an unfortunate last couple of weeks as I'm now at a crossroads with a second machine that is also damaged and with an ultimatum of sorts from Grizzly. As mentioned originally, I full expected Grizzly to handle the damaged parts without hesitation, which was the case, until the replacement machine arrived in as bad of shape as the original machine.

The first machine arrived with gouges and scratches on the infeed table, outfeed table, and the fence, which comprised the majority of the damage. The dust port and the pedestal switch were both dented. The back of the fence bracket was broken. The pork chop was chipped and dented. Due to the number of damaged items, the resolution was to send a replacement machine. Upon that determination of sending a new machine, on three separate follow up phone calls that I made to customer service, I repeatedly asked that the replacement machine be thoroughly inspected for any damage, which I was assured would be the case.

Fast forward to the delivery of the replacement machine. Upon removing the cosmoline from the tables, I once again found damage to both tables and worse off than the original machine. In this case, there is a significant gouge on the far end of the outfeed table, several small gouges on the infeed table, multiple scratches on both tables, and blotchy staining along the length of the infeed table. As before, these photos were documented through an email to the orders/freight department. In several conversations with customer service, I was assured that the machine went through an inspection process. It's my opinion that an inspection was never performed of the actual machine itself, maybe the exterior of the crate; otherwise, these issues would have been very apparent and flagged.

The final response I received from Grizzly, which was from the freight supervisor, was that the damage would have occurred during normal use and implied that I was possibly the cause for the damage during the unpackaging process. I was shocked by her response and was offended that I was being blamed as the culprit for the damage. I can agree that minor scratches will occur along the lengths of the tables over time from running material over them but to suggest that staining and gouges will also occur is simply not true. Also, it's a joke to qualify the condition of a machine just because that is what will happen over time. A new machine should come in new condition, meaning without defects. Regarding the implication of me possibly causing the damage, Grizzly was just finding every way possible to excuse the damage and put the responsibility on me.

Therefore, her resolution was to either ship back the machine for a full refund with no replacement machine or provide me with a Grizzly credit of 10% of the purchase price, $200. I found neither of these options, which were the only options, acceptable. The options provided leave me in a lose-lose situation. Obviously, I want the machine and never expected a refusal to ship a third machine, which was my original request when I reported the damage on the replacement machine. As far as a Grizzly credit of $200, which is not even a credit back to my original purchase, we all know that the true cost to Grizzly is far less than $200. There's no significant concession with a credit and frankly, I don't have the confidence that similar circumstances won't occur on a future order to utilize the credit.

It appeared to be a story of let's cut our losses and just move forward, not what can be done to rectify this situation and make it right. This is my fifth Grizzly machine and aside from a dented rail on a table saw, which was handled without hesitation, all of the machines prior to this one have been of the quality I've come to expect from Grizzly, along with excellent customer service.

Attached are a couple of photos from the replacement machine...

What are your thoughts? What are your expectations on a reasonable solution under these circumstances?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Based on the photos you put up it, it looks to me like you are expecting too much. That isn't damage. At most I would call it a visual blemish. I would assume that at this point Grizzly has paid for shipping twice and is or is close to losing money. At a certain pint when you have a customer who you know won't be satasfied with anything you send them you offer them a full refund and be done with them. At least that is what I do when I have a customer who is overly critical.

I am not trying to offend you but based on the pictures you put up, that is how I see it.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

I personally wouldn't view that as much of a problem, either. if they are giving you $200 of credit, i'd take it and use it to buy accessories or finish supplies or something through them.

I wouldn't be excited about the big scratch, but I wouldn't be bothered by it that long, either. It would take a lot less effort to take the $200 and let the scratch grow on you, that would be my point of view. Life is short.

Blog Entries
    The tables I've unwrapped on various tools has paper over the cosmoline. Was there damage to the paper? This would point to manufacturing/QC versus a shipping issue.

I agree that those are visual blemishes. You are paying for a flat table... not a shiny one. Polishing it up is fairly easy with some fine sandpaper. Have you measured the tables with a straightedge?
    Last edited by Greg Portland; 03-25-2013 at 5:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    I may be in the minority here, but I am leaning to the Grizzly side on this one. From your description and photos of the "damage" it all looks cosmetic to me. That gouge looks more like a smudge to me. Is this damage going to effect the operation of the machine in any way? It sure doesn't look like it to me. It seems to me that Grizzly has bent over backwards trying to please you and the likelihood of you being dissatisfied with a third machine is pretty high. I'd take the $200 credit and be happy about it. Well, they wouldn't have offered it to me, because I wouldn't have even complained. This is manufacturing machinery we are talking about here, not a new business suit. Function before form.
    I won't be surprised if most here will be on your side, but I just don't see what the problem is.

Just my 2 cents.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I am looking at pics on my phone but think would take credit and be making sawdust with that machean.

I think I would say, "Well that sucks to have a scratch on a new machine", not worry at all about stains, take the $200 credit and cover it up with sawdust. Happy flattening!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I do agree that my concerns on the tables are cosmetic, likely including the spot at the end of the outfeed table even though it'll catch a fingernail. This is even something I've mentioned to customer service. It's difficult to get a good perspective with the flash of a camera and the shadows from the lighting. As mentioned originally, I never have complained on previous orders other than the one issue that affected the function of the machine, i.e. the dented table saw rail.

Considering this was the replacement machine, I figured I'd get a machine without any noticeable apologies, including finish, since I already had trouble with a damaged original. My issue never was money-driven or to receive compensation. Maybe I'm in the minority here but given the circumstances, I wouldn't say I'm being overly critical. If the replacement machine was the first machine I received, it probably would have been a non-issue. There was just an expectation set on the replacement machine since I requested several times to customer service to inspect the replacement machine prior to shipping for any possible damage. I just figured this one would have been flagged.

Like many of us here, I don't make major tool purchases all that often and when I do, I'd like for the tool to be in the best shape possible.

Greg,
    You're right, there was wax paper over the cosmoline and there was no damage to the wax paper. That's why it appears to be a QC issue and not a shipping issue.

If your new shiny BMW had a scratch on it at the dealership would you except it??Not me,can't afford BMW----LOL Carroll

I have to agree with the others, you bought a jointer that's sold based on price/value over quality, and at least from what I can see in the photo's does not look like damage to me. A scratch and some staining is certainly not perfect, but also does not hamper your use of the machine in any way.

Second if I'm reading correctly I think it's pretty unfair to accuse them of lying about inspecting the machine. They may well have inspected the machine before it went out and not seen any of the damage as it sounds like you didn't see it either until you removed all the cosmoline? I would not expect them to remove the cosmoline to inspect the machine for damage. If it's under then it's from the factory, not done in shipping....ie damage.

You bought the machine and as such if your not happy with it I think your entitled to a full refund. However I wouldn't expect the manufacturer to send machine after machine until you get one that's "perfect". There's a reason some manufacturers are so much cheaper than others. Sometimes it's confined to what's on the inside, but unfortunately sometimes it's not. I know that's not what you wanted to hear....but you asked for opinions and that's mine If it were me, I'd take the $200 credit and order an insert head for the jointer and get to making some shavings

good luck,
    JeffD

Both options are good options. For a full refund, you don't have to compromise on less than showroom-floor perfect. ("perfect" is relative here), but you also don't get the Grizzly that you wanted. For the credit, you suck it up and get over it and buy something else.

My once perfect Powermatic tablesaw top has gathered a lot of character over the years, ranging from guests in the shop setting cold soda cans on it sweating, to me, sliding a 250 lb chunk of wood across it, with a sheetrock screw between the wood and cast iron top, leaving a pretty decent groove in the cast iron. (Now, that one really ticked me off - and it was my fault).

So, I got over it. 9 years later, I barely notice it and would have to look for it.

Todd

If you're truly not happy with the machine send it back for a full refund and spend your money somewhere else. In the end you are the one that needs to be satisfied with your purchase. Can you find a comparable machine in the same price range including shipping?
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    Second if I'm reading correctly I think it's pretty unfair to accuse them of lying about inspecting the machine. They may well have inspected the machine before it went out and not seen any of the damage as it sounds like you didn't see it either until you removed all the cosmoline? I would not expect them to remove the cosmoline to inspect the machine for damage. If it's under then it's from the factory, not done in shipping....ie damage.
    Jeff,
    To clarify, the machine was likely to have had a once-over but it's my opinion that the tables specifically were not inspected prior to shipping. It sounds like this is reinforced by your point. I requested an inspection of the tables on the phone calls to customer service and was assured this would be done. If removing the cosmoline is not typically done or only when a customer requests it be done, I don't see how the QC process can assure no damaged machines are being shipped to customers. It seems equally unfair to accuse me of causing the damage during unpackaging.

You're right, a spiral cutterhead is probably calling my name as I can't think of anything else to use the credit on in the near future.

The outfeed gouge would be pretty tough for me. The other stuff isnt an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by C Scott McDonald View Post
    The outfeed gouge would be pretty tough for me. The other stuff isnt an issue.
    I'd need to see the outfeed gouge in person before rendering an opinion either way.
    The rest of it isn't an issue.