Thread: air compressor tank

air compressor tank

Due to the constant discussions of air compressors, I decided to ask the people most in the know. I have a portable 4hp compressor with a cast iron 2 cylinder pump on it. The tank has rusted out, I think it is a 20, maybe 30 gallon tank horizontal but cant really find a tag that says so. I have been looking for somewhere to buy a similar tank that I can replace it with, it doesnt have to be an exact mate, I can adapt the motor and tank to most anything. The motor and tank are too good to junk and I have been looking for a new or used compressor to replace it with but so far havent come up with one so may try to replace the tank if I can find one. I have looked in all of my catalogs but so far havent come up with anything. I can remember seeing replacement tanks somewhere years ago but not recently. Any suggestions where to get one. Thanks Jared

hmm.. In Canada we have a place called Princess Auto .. They sell tanks. I believe the US comparable to Princess Auto is Harbour Freight. So I would check with them ..

Not sure where your located but there is a company in Quincy Illinois that makes tanks and sells them to Gardner Denver (champion) and Quincy .. Cant remember what they are called ..

McMaster Carr has them. http://www.mcmaster.com/#air-tanks/=lznav9 It's a great company.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Disclaimer: I've never done this or seen it done. I wonder if you could buy 2 or more of the 11 gallon tanks from Harbor Freight
    http://www.harborfreight.com/11-gall...ank-65595.html
    and plumb them in parallel, sort of like the double stack portable compressors. You'd have to think about being able to drain them and I don't know if the pipe size would provide adequate volume. The draining could be gotten around, mount 'em with the outlet facing down and install a T. If the outlet used 1/4" pipe, there's no practical fix for that. Well, unless 2 or more 1/4" lines came together into a sort of manifold. You'd need to figure a pressure switch and unloader into it somehow. It could probably be done. Worth it? That's another question.

You could always buy a whole compressor from Sears and just use the tank.
    Sears has a couple of oiless units that mate a 1.5hp oiless compressor to a 26 or 33 gallon tank that go on sale for $279 to $299.

A 1.5hp oiless compressor on a tank that size is a rediculous mismatch.
    You might even be able to find one used that someone is selling for scrap/parts.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Be sure and get an ASME rated tank! Grainger sells them, along with others. Sears along with others, sell tanks as replacement parts. Sometimes, Surplus Center has them.

Burdens Surplus in Nebraska has had them listed in the past, including ASME (or whatever those letters are) certified. Don't know if they currently have any though.

Also, the older propane tanks with the old style valve, are basically free nowadays. Would need several, and mounted upside down to be able to drain it. I believe the valves are 3/4" pipe thread, and can be a bear to remove. I used one years ago for air, and they are rated for considerable more pressure than you are likely to produce with a shop compressor.
    Last edited by fred klotz; 03-23-2013 at 10:41 PM.

It is probably Master Tank in Quincy Illinois to answer Rich. I have driven by there numerous times. It's very close to Quincy Compressor and Gardner Denver is a few mile away. Where are you located Jared? I have a basically new 30 gallon upright tank on wheels I would like to get out of my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    It is probably Master Tank in Quincy Illinois to answer Rich. I have driven by there numerous times. It's very close to Quincy Compressor and Gardner Denver is a few mile away. Where are you located Jared? I have a basically new 30 gallon upright tank on wheels I would like to get out of my way.

I live in Northwest Iowa. Your tank might be just what I need. I would gladly pay for the shipping and what ever trouble you have to go through to get it shipped. I wouldnt think it would have to be packed all that well, it is not a fragile item. Might be best if you just gave me a call, 712 330 6466. Thanks Jared

Quote Originally Posted by jared herbert View Post
    I live in Northwest Iowa. Your tank might be just what I need. I would gladly pay for the shipping and what ever trouble you have to go through to get it shipped. I wouldnt think it would have to be packed all that well, it is not a fragile item. Might be best if you just gave me a call, 712 330 6466. Thanks Jared
    Check on sending the tank via the bus as in Greyhound. Lots cheaper than motor freight.