Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few new pendant photos

A few new pendant photos

Tomorrow, Lauren and I will be demonstrating eccentric jewelry turning at the NWA Showcase in Saratoga Springs (held concurrently with the Totally Turning event)

Here are a few new pieces that show some of the techniques and materials we'll be showing.

Should be great fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

Those are beautiful Alan. Have fun.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very nice.

like them all, but the 3rd one with the wire the best, what does the other side look like on the 3rd one?

5. All are very well done, Alan........of the four the one with the wire was my least favorite........odd how we all have such different tastes! Nice work for sure!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Alan & Lauren
    Those are beautiful, I really like the way you do the decorations are you using archival pens.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Oh heck yeah Alan!! I can do the turning, but the art...you really have a lock on that. Really...great lookin' stuff!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Our demonstration went very well. Great people in the audience, we all had a good time. Tag team teaching with Lauren is fun! Looking forward to doing it again in Tampa at the AAW Symposium.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

Great demo Alan and Lauren. Did not get a chance to say hi, maybe today!
    "So much wood - So little time ! "
    Past President Western Mountain Woodturners
    Past President Maine Woodturners

ooohhh..these are quite a few steps ahead of most I have seen. Little works of art! good luck
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Tag team teaching with Lauren is fun! Looking forward to doing it again in Tampa at the AAW Symposium.
    bump, i see you will have 2 rotations at tampa, great honor to be accepted at national symposium

I just started turning some penants last week. I have turned seven and was proud of them until I saw yours -- mine look so childish in comparsion. I'll see you in Tampa.

Alan and Lauren, these are wonderful! If you have a chance, would you mind sharing what materials you used for the fourth pendant in your pics? Can't tell from the angle, but did you turn that piece, or carve/sand to final shape?

David

David,

This was a turning project, all done on the lathe, no carving. Here are a couple of photos that might give some insight into how it was made.

The wood is a laminate flooring product called Picasso Fantasia Artwood... very interesting stuff, and a fine candidate for carbide tools.
    The flooring it tongue and groove, 1/2" thick, which I resawed to 1/4".

To approximate the curves, forstner bits were used to bore some preliminary holes

aiz_2788.jpg

Attached to a waste block with turner's tape, I turned the perimeter round
    aiz_2789.jpg

Then started shaping, tapering towards the edge
    aiz_2790.jpg

Removed the piece from the tape, cut it in half, and used one of the forstner bits to reposition the piece on the tape, this time centered on the smaller hole.
    az_2792.jpg

I then 'thinned out' that arc, and sanded a bit to complete the blending of the two surfaces. Then I repostitioned it on the tape, centered on the larger hole, and thinned out that one.

The disc I used for the background was a thin slice of some burl (possibly redwood) given to me by a friend.

It was an interesting project, and the first of what is likely to be a series based around that shape.

Make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    like them all, but the 3rd one with the wire the best, what does the other side look like on the 3rd one?
    Charlie, I turned a very thin, tapered, flat bottomed "cup" that encloses the back... it's just wide enough to cover the wirework.

This is just something Lauren is playing with... we have some ideas about where we're going with it. Lauren's pretty good with the wirework, so she'll likely do more wrapping in and around the pendants and necklaces.
    Last edited by Alan Zenreich; 03-24-2013 at 10:25 PM.