Thread: Grizzly G0490 Jointer Loose Pulleys

Grizzly G0490 Jointer Loose Pulleys

Today I worked on a new G0490 jointer that belongs to a friend. He got it a Christmas time and it did not have much use since then. It was making a loud bang when it started. It turns out that both set screws and the key from the motor pulley had fallen out and the large Allen head screw on the cutter head shaft was not even finger tight. This is a lot concerning to me as not everyone will think to stop, take the covers off and check at the first sign of noise from this area.
    I think we caught it before any major damage was done.

CPeter

Glad it worked out well. My neighbor has a G0453px planer, his cutterhead pulley came loose, and so he tapped and added 2 set screws, I checked the new one I got at Christmas time, and it had 2 set screws, so Grizzly caught that one.

Thanks for the reminder!

When I got my GO490X, I removed all the set screws, used blue small thread loctite and reinstalled them. Most were doubled up IIRC.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Did he not install them correctly? I believe I had to install the pulleys on mine. Is it a situation where they may loosen over time?

Yep, many thanks for the reminder....my Griz jointer is still banging very loud on shutdown, even after checking the setscrew and locking screw above that one on the motor pulley.

I have personal knowledge of the pulley situation on the G0490. I ignored the noises on start-up and shut-down for quite awhile. Here's what I found when I finally did a thorough inspection, after previously looking at it and thinking it was o.k. The belt had jumped over a couple of notches. The set-screws were both loose. With the belt off, the pulley wobbled up and down and side to side and turned freely on the shaft. When I slipped it off, the key was nowhere to be found, the shaft was abraded and the pulley was hollowed out. Fortunately, the motor was still useable, shaft just scuffed up. Still under warranty, Grizzly sent me a new pulley. I plan to check it every few months from now on. (I had the same pulley problem on my Grizzly G0453 planer, but ended up with a ruined motor due to a stripped out key slot). I guess I'm hard on 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barnett View Post
    Yep, many thanks for the reminder....my Griz jointer is still banging very loud on shutdown, even after checking the setscrew and locking screw above that one on the motor pulley.
    There is the issue on stopping, where the motor seems to go into a "braking mode" for lack of a better term. I have seen mention of this in other threads. On slowdown there is a point where the start/run switch toggles and that may be The point where The slight shaking occurs. Sounds a little like a bang on my G0490 too.

Adjusting the feet of the mobile base so that they both sit firmly on the floor when the base is lowered helped reduce that shutter a lot. It also reduced the pretty good bump that occurred, when lowering the base, to a gentle bump.

I just got a RL1023 table saw and it shares the two step sequence when turned off. The blade coasts down for a few seconds, then there is a click and a noticeably faster stopping rate. This gave me a clue that the shutter my jointer experiences when turned off may not be abnormal.

Couple ideas from my phone... Please excuse the typos!
    Last edited by Bill Space; 03-31-2013 at 3:55 PM. Reason: To remove a couple typos...using my PC...
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!