Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LN Iron Miter 9 questions

LN Iron Miter 9 questions

Managed to pick one of the older pre hotdog versions of the LN Iron Miter 9 on ebay.

On arrival it is sound and in good condition. However can owners / users of the tool answer my queries?

On yours are the surfaces that support the blade all in one plane as per the usage and care sheet drawing implies?Could the original owner have moved the yoke / handle mechanism by undoing the grub screws creating the step?
    LN9.1.jpg
    One other thing of interest is that the yoke plate has been screwed on upside down at some stage according to the use and care sheet. Must have frustrated the poor bugger enough to sell it as it would have chattered and jumped around. I can see lines in the bronze yoke created by the pressure of the lever cap on the unsupported blade forcing it into the yoke surface. All non fatal of course. Can/ owners / users advise if the yoke on their tool has a corner relieved in the yoke as it looks as though this may be from the same issue?
    IMG_0369.jpgIMG_0370.jpgIMG_0368.jpg
    Last edited by Paul Crowe; 03-22-2013 at 11:28 PM. Reason: trying to figure out photos

Paul,
    I can't see the attachments but the usage and care sheet at LN accurately depicts my plane. I don't know what the second attachment shows but the first couple of times I sharpened my blade and had to adjust the yoke presented a problem.

Something was wrong with the distance from the front of the yoke to the cutting edge of the blade. That distance was given in the manual but it would not work. The best I could do at that distance was to barely get the blade through the mouth, only dust not shavings. I adjusted the yoke until I got it right but it took a while. Now I mark it before I remove the blade so I can get it back to the right place. I also notice the manual says 3 3/4". It was 3 3/8" in my manual but the distance at which it works is close to 3 3/4". It's surprising how much a little amount in that distance effects the adjustment.

Have changed the attachments can they be seen now?

Had the same issue with the yoke moving it slightly til getting it just right.

Paul,
    I can see the attachments now. Picture 1 looks like mine. Pictures 2 and 3 are incorrect. The yoke plate needs to be turned around so that that flat part is facing up when you insert it. Note, the plane is a bevel up plane. Turn the yoke plate around and set the distance from the front of the plate (nearest the cutting part of the blade) to the cutting edge of the blade at 3.75". Make sure you tighten the screw holding the yoke plate to the blade down pretty tight otherwise you'll just adjust the plate and not the blade.

I can't tell from picture 4 whether the previous owner has messed with the torx screws holding the dept adjustment yoke.

Also, I don't relieve the edges of my blade on this plane. Good luck, you've got a great plane.

in the usage and care sheet it looks as though the plane blade should rest on the bronze handle section. This plane has a gap. I thave adjusted the torx screws but cannot close the gap.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Paul,
    I see what you're referring to. My plane looks like your attachment. There's about a 1/16" gap between bronze handle and the blade. I see LN's manual shows the blade setting on the handle. All I can say is that mine works fine but maybe it should be on the handle. See how your's works with the yoke plate adjusted and give LN a call if you feel it's a problem. The folks there are real helpful.

Maybe some others with a #9 can check the their's for the gap.

thanks for your help Garry, we see what others say shortly

Hi Paul,my miter plane has a gap closer to 1/32. Never even noticed until now.

Sounds good. Let me know if you call LN about it. I might do the same. I've never messed with those torx screws holding the yoke adjustment other than to tighten one that was slightly loose.

Actually, the distance on mine varies from about 1/32 to about 1/16 (closest to the handle).

I bought this second hand so only had the drawing as a reference. Sounds like the gap is normal and the drawing is, well a drawing.I hope i havent worried anyone.

I did email LN so will let you know the reply but i am sure based on a sample of 3 it should be fine.

Rob, I took a look at my #9 this morning and the gap in your first picture is there on mine and if it is there in my particular #9 I sincerely believe it is supposed to be there. That has nothing to do with me but everything to do with the previous owner. The previous owner was Rob Cosman and he (according to him when I bought it) used it as the plane he used at shows and the like so I have to think he had really tweaked the setup for the ooh and ahh factor. I bought it from him when I attended his week-long class in Canada in 2010 and it performs like a champ so I would not worry about the gap.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Crowe View Post
    in the usage and care sheet it looks as though the plane blade should rest on the bronze handle section. This plane has a gap. I thave adjusted the torx screws but cannot close the gap.
    My #9 (pre-hotdog) has the same gap. I can't see how eliminating the gap would improve anything.
    - Mike

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Got an email back from LN from a bloke called Thomas and no problem. How often would an owner of a tool company other then LN or LV !

Paul,

The gap under the blade is as it should be - the adjustment of the handle is to fine tune the fit of the advancement yoke to the blade. So, your plane looks fine!

Thanks!

Thomas

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Crowe View Post
    Got an email back from LN from a bloke called Thomas and no problem. How often would an owner of a tool company other then LN or LV !

Paul,

The gap under the blade is as it should be - the adjustment of the handle is to fine tune the fit of the advancement yoke to the blade. So, your plane looks fine!

Thanks!

Thomas
    Especially when you're asking about a tool that was bought used instead of from them.

We have a lot to be thankful for with the quality of the tools and support we get from LV and LN (and many other small fine tool companies like Bad Axe).
    - Mike

Si vis pacem, para bellum