Thread: CNC Softweare - what to get

CNC Softweare - what to get

I have the CRP4896 on order. Have the 2.2kw spindle and VFD in hand. I have the plan created for the CNC table done – just need to pick-up the materials. I also have the computer for controlling the CNC and have Mach3 installed and tested on it. The next decision is software.

The main criteria is ease of use; my vision is not too good so I need displays that avoid things like red on black etc. I am gravitating towards VcarvePro but am somewhat confused by the software options from Vectric.

Aspire is too expensive for non-revenue generating home use.

The confusion come from trying to figure what functions of Cut2D and Ct3D are not in VcarvePro. Also what functions are in VcarvePro that are not in Cut2D and Cut3D.

I have looked at a number of other programs but they seem to be more oriented to part milling and not woodworking.

Any suggestions as to reasonably priced software would be very welcome.

Take a look here for the comparison http://www.vectric.com/products/compare.html
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking

Vetric v carve pro to start out and than upgrade to aspire, hands down the best software for the money and a great forum. I also use Mach and it works fine with Vetric.

artcam express $149
    Creative Woodwork and Design
    Vector Studio 22

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Crain View Post
    artcam express $149

Thanks for pointing me at this. I watched some of the demo videos and it looked like it was pretty good. I was intrigued with the Relief Clipart and the potentials of using it.

I downloaded the trial version and that is where the dissapointment started. The trial version only has a few clipart items making it difficult to get a good idea of what is available. Realiing that the basic version of express has only the basics I looked at the modules available to enhance the capabilities. The total price of a "fully functional" version of ArtCam express is $1200 more that Aspire.

I do not have my machine built yet (the kit ships tomorrow). Initially it is a "toy: but I am looking at the porential for generating revenue. The primary personal use will be to cut parts for cabinets and small woodworking projects as well as 2D and 2.5D decorative carvings. ArtCam Express looks to be oriented more toward sign making ul\mless it is expanded with additional modules.

The other concern is stability of the program - I managed to crash the program within 3 minutes on the first try with it.

I did like what I saw but am a bit uncertain as to how it would fit into what I want to do.

if you "crashed" the trial it may be your computer. artcam has better resolution than aspire. if you search the vectric forum you will find threads about resolution problems. http://www.3dsignforum.com/index.php...sg7168#msg7168
    Creative Woodwork and Design
    Vector Studio 22