Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squirrels

Squirrels

I live in the woods and converted an old barn into my workshop. The squirrels just love it! I don't want to kill them, i just don't want them getting into everything in my shop. Anyone have a clever ideas for keeping them out without harming them?

Thanks

A skinny, not too over-fed shop cat should keep them out.

Blog Entries
    Or thick chicken wire... don't have to feed that.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Well, I'm not one that likes killing things for no reason. I pretty much let animals have free run of my property and try to live harmoniously with them. I'll even keep the dog in when the turkeys are out so I don't scare them off. Pretty much I try to kill all of the mice, squirrels and chipmunks, though. I can't keep up with them, and they're destructive as all get out. Poison, pellet gun...whatever it takes. I haven't found a way to keep them away, and they've caused LOTS of damage. ATV damage...shoot, I had to pay hundreds of $$$ because a little family got stuck in my car's heating system and died in there. THAT was pleasant. Yeah, rodents are not welcome in my little wildlife preserve.

Blog Entries
    I trap chipmunks, they can do severe foundation damage, I get about a dozen a year. So far the squirrels are just entertaining. No big mouse problem. Did have a raccoon get down the chimney and have babies, that was no fun. Got expanded metal grates on all of my flues now.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Well, I'm not one that likes killing things for no reason. I pretty much let animals have free run of my property and try to live harmoniously with them. I'll even keep the dog in when the turkeys are out so I don't scare them off. Pretty much I try to kill all of the mice, squirrels and chipmunks, though. I can't keep up with them, and they're destructive as all get out. Poison, pellet gun...whatever it takes. I haven't found a way to keep them away, and they've caused LOTS of damage. ATV damage...shoot, I had to pay hundreds of $$$ because a little family got stuck in my car's heating system and died in there. THAT was pleasant. Yeah, rodents are not welcome in my little wildlife preserve.
    +1
    You can add coyote to the list of vermin, and I like canines.

Rodentia are plentiful, destructive, and attract Vipers.
    Coyote have greatly extended their range because humans have interfered with the natural order of things and we are essentially their only real predator. They thrive in suburban environments. They will definitely kill small dogs, cats, and are getting increasingly aggressive toward humans.

The turkey, bobcat, bears and the like are all welcome.

No love for squirrels or chipmunks here either. A few years ago, I opened one of my shop cabinets and had a chipmunk jump onto my face. Good thing I don't have heart problems. No idea how he got there or how long he's been closed up in the cabinet. I have chased a few out of the garage.

I also had a family of squirrels make a home in the air cleaner in my pickup. I eventually had to block all of the air intakes with balls of chicken wire. This was several years ago and my truck still smells like squirrel pee, despite cleaning all of the duct work with bleach. BTW, an air cleaner blocked with moss and dog food does not help a truck's highway performance.

They mostly leave me alone now, but I would have no problem eliminating them if necessary. Plenty more where they came from.

I have come to the conclusion that squirrels are nothing more than rats that play around in the trees. I have finally convinced my wife that this is the case, and purchased a pellet gun.

I live trap all my nuisance critters. The first year I lived on my property I trapped 70 live critters and transported them. I have kept this up for the past 11 years to the point that I have a few squirrels, one or two raccoons, a few chipmunks ( that when I see the first one in the Spring I set the live traps), some skunks (that I trap or shoot if they become a problem) and some possum. I have a couple of fox and several coyotes that I have never seen that I don't trap or shoot. An Eagle that shows up once in a while and some hawks that keep the bird population down. I have very few issues that I know of or detected since I started trapping.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    I live trap all my nuisance critters. The first year I lived on my property I trapped 70 live critters and transported them. I have kept this up for the past 11 years to the point that I have a few squirrels, one or two raccoons, a few chipmunks ( that when I see the first one in the Spring I set the live traps), some skunks (that I trap or shoot if they become a problem) and some possum. I have a couple of fox and several coyotes that I have never seen that I don't trap or shoot. An Eagle that shows up once in a while and some hawks that keep the bird population down. I have very few issues that I know of or detected since I started trapping.
    Good advice - live trap! If you can screen off their entry that is all well and good, and that should be part of the long term plan, but in the short of it - you need to get them out. Live trapping should be done deliberately - in other words pay attention. Put some time aside each day or on some schedule that works for you trap and take them elsewhere as soon as possible. I say this because if you just leave food out you are likely to attract other creatures too which defeats your purpose. Also there is no sense in live trapping if you leave a critter caged up overnight or for long hours. You may as well just shoot them. You might need to wash out the trap between uses as the remaining squirrels will become wary of a soiled cage. Provide some sunflower seeds and/or peanuts but do this inside your building - again if you leave food out you will likely attract other creatures.

I think a shop cat or dog would be a great option too.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cowan View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that squirrels are nothing more than rats that play around in the trees. I have finally convinced my wife that this is the case, and purchased a pellet gun.
    That's not fair to rats.

Squirrels can decimate my gardening efforts. They eat my tender lettuce and other veggies 1/2" after they sprout. No eye for the future. Or somehow know which tomato I'm picking tomorrow, so they gnaw a big bite out of it today. Or the same thing with an apple, peach or cherry.

I dispatch them with a varmint pellet, then offer them to the foxes. They're always gone by the next morning. Usually much sooner. Frontier Justice.

squirrels and rats are members of the rodent family, squirrel got a good taste after they are cook

Taste like chicken.

RP

Maine coon cat.

Joe A,
    When I shoot the smaller critters and if they don't stink I put the bodies on the bank and they are always gone by the next morning. Not sure of the animal that takes them but it is either a fox or coyote. I use black sunflower seeds and this works for all critters raccoons included. If I go after raccoons I use dry cat food, it works well but I do catch a cat once in a while. The live traps do get dirty but I clean them with a garden hose and high pressure water, it doesn't discourage other critters from entering the trap. I have 4 traps all are different sizes made for the different size critters. I do catch a bird once in a while. I am retired so I can watch the traps to see if I catch anything. I have had to transport a raccoon in the middle of the night because it was a very pregnant sow and I didn't want to raise a family of them. If I catch a sick critter I fill a garbage can with water and drown it then bury it. If I shoot a skunk I use a post hole digger and dig a hole about 3 feet deep add the body and refill the hole. I can smell the skunk odor for more than a month after burying it. Squirrels are very easy to trap as are chipmunks. I have caught over 5 in one day. It gets expensive when the gas prices are as high as they are. I don't trap in the cold months. In some areas it is illegal to transport most critters. It is not illegal in my area according to my Sheriff's department but it is illegal according to our Department of Natural Resources.
    Last edited by David G Baker; 03-24-2013 at 5:34 PM.
    David B