Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The official "ask Aaron from Baileigh" thread

1. The official "ask Aaron from Baileigh" thread

Hey gang, Shane here

As many of you know, Baileigh Industrial is now a paid sponsor here on the Creek. We will be having all kinds of fun with givaways, contests, woodworker of the week, customer spotlights and all sorts of fun stuff. Since introducing ourselves here on the Creek we have been bombarded with requests for information, woodworking questions, machinery questions, specs, quotes and catalog requests.

Aaron Cerkas is my buddy that will be helping us out on the forum. He has an extensive background in high end woodworking. He will chime in here with an introduction of his own.

If you have any question on working with rare wood, how a certain machine works, how does this machine compare to another or just woodworking tips and tricks, just respond to this thread or shoot him a PM.

Lets all give Aaron a warm welcome to the Creek!

Thanks guys!
    Shane Henderson
    Baileigh Industrial Woodworking
    920-482-3220
    shenderson@baileighindustrial.com

Visit our sponsored forum here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdis...2-Baileigh-Inc

Thanks Shane!
    Just a little about myself: I have been in the woodworking field my entire career; spanning over 20 years. I recently worked for a well known yacht builder, Burger Boat, eventually becomming the asst. millwork manager. Previous to that I did custom cabinetry in the residential and commercial field for over a decade. I have dealt with some of the rarest woods on the planet and have been recognized as a true artisan by many in this industry. I welcome any questions and/or tips and tricks as learning in the woodworking industry is never-ending!! I look forward to communicating and learning with you all and will help with anything as needed.
    Thank You!
    Aaron Cerkas
    Baileigh Industrial

Welcome, Aaron. I know there are three things we really like here:
    1) Friendly Woodworkers
    2) Great Customer Service
    3) Pictures

And did I mention pictures?
    Machines, wood, stuff made from wood on machines.
    And pictures.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

4. We have many pics of Aarons work. We will be posting them here, hang tight.
    Shane Henderson
    920-482-3220

Blog Entries
    Hi Shane, Food for thought. I breezed right by your edge sanders in your catalog (great hat BTW, thanks) because they didn't oscillate. Nothing in the name or in the specs about oscillation. It wasn't until I read the small print that it was casually mentioned that they also oscillate. You almost missed my interest and probably have already missed many other folks who aren't as diligent (or maybe bored ) as I am. Shoot some feedback to your catalog folks. Someone looking for an oscillating edge sander will blow right by your stuff if it isn't obvious.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

6. Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Hi Shane, Food for thought. I breezed right by your edge sanders in your catalog (great hat BTW, thanks) because they didn't oscillate. Nothing in the name or in the specs about oscillation. It wasn't until I read the small print that it was casually mentioned that they also oscillate. You almost missed my interest and probably have already missed many other folks who aren't as diligent (or maybe bored ) as I am. Shoot some feedback to your catalog folks. Someone looking for an oscillating edge sander will blow right by your stuff if it isn't obvious.
    Thanks Glenn, we will put in a change
    Shane Henderson
    920-482-3220

Hi Guys,
    This is one of the yachts I coordinated and worked on at Burger Boat. It is called Sycara and was a replicated late 1800’s vessel. The main level’s wall panels consisted of no less than -7- different wood species along with most of the furniture. Madrone burl, paduk, ebony, anigre, along with some mahogany was used extensively throughout the yacht. We fabricated everything in our millwork facility including all the radius pieces and panels (vacuum bagging) along with all the inlays; either by hand or CNC.

This is the VIP stateroom which ended up being one of the nicest room in the yacht. All the furniture we made was done without any mechanical fasteners (nails, screws, etc.). All our glueing techniques had to be tested as glueing the different species together became quite the challenge. If you would like to know some of the techniques used to accomplish these challenges, please reply to this thread. I'm here to share and help!!

Last edited by Aaron Cerkas; 03-28-2013 at 1:57 PM.
    Aaron Cerkas
    Baileigh Industrial

This happens to be the Main Salon (living room for us folk) of the same boat as before. Many more different species again; Honduras mahogany, sycamore, and some pearwood to name a few. There is a ‘clamshell’ header feature in the near upper left of the pic that was done on a -5- axis CNC router. Teak floors with “Lalique” glass panels (hand made; very expensive) and book matched madrone burl panels and doors throughout the room sets this room apart from the average.

Aaron Cerkas
    Baileigh Industrial

Aaron,

It is unbelievable how wealthy someone must be to own such a boat. The craftsmanship is just incredible and the lumber must have cost a fortune. Thanks for sharing the pics of such a beautiful vessel.

Amazing!! Just glue and dowels??....and how does the piggy back boat get deployed. Does it need shore side help from a crane or is there some magic on board system? Thanks for posting this incredible work. Would love to see more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Amazing!! Just glue and dowels??....and how does the piggy back boat get deployed. Does it need shore side help from a crane or is there some magic on board system? Thanks for posting this incredible work. Would love to see more.
    If you look really close, there is a crane folded down right behind the boat in question. It folds out to "pick" the boat to load it into the water. Good question!
    Lots or creative ingenuity into fabricating this furniture. Amazing talented guys who put their life into these boats!
    Aaron Cerkas
    Baileigh Industrial

12. Thanks Aaron.
    Shane Henderson
    920-482-3220

Ted,

The runabout is quite the project all by itself. I can also imagine how difficult it would be to deploy the runabout with the crane even in light seas. The boat looks to be a fair size in the picture but they are all postage size when you get them in an ocean. Obviously it is for extreme emergencies or to use to go ashore at a port of call in very calm water.

14. Let's get some more pics up Aaron
    Shane Henderson
    920-482-3220

Quote Originally Posted by Baileigh Inc View Post
    Let's get some more pics up Aaron
    I would like to see some more pics of some of the members here to talk about some quality and unique woodworking!
    Aaron Cerkas
    Baileigh Industrial