Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steff Feeder source- WMD

I don't know about their whole line of feeders, but the feeders used in the Martin sales videos are a step above any other feeders I've seen on the market. These are not your entry level feeders and probably not something your going to buy.....unless your also looking at dropping $60k+ on a new shaper

JeffD

FYI: I purchased a Steff feeder from Woodtech Int. about a year ago. Great service, and feeder throughout the transaction. I just received a collection notice stating that the freight was never paid by woodtech, and now I am liable. Apparently Woodtech is history.

Joe: Wow.....

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Except Univer which is no more. Comatic now makes feeders for Martin although Martin demands better machining and finishing than most. Comatic makes for almost every private label. Problem is identifying those that price point and neglect the machining so the pipes and fittings don't lock. Sort of like jointer tables where the label specifies the quality and tolerance of the grinding. Dave
    Would it really make sense for Comatic to make a bunch of parts that are not going to work properly, if you look at the GI, Grizzly, Powermatic and even the Hammer feeders they are all identical except for the paint job.

I own and use comatic in comatic white, grizzly green , and delta grey paint jobs. All work perfectly and lock perfectly are machined perfectly, finished perfectly and are at the bottom of the price points for 1hp feeders. Guessing the jacked up ones are probably abused by users not comatic.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by michael flay View Post
    Would it really make sense for Comatic to make a bunch of parts that are not going to work properly, if you look at the GI, Grizzly, Powermatic and even the Hammer feeders they are all identical except for the paint job.
    It's not a matter of making stuff that doesn't work but there will be differences. They may not matter to most of us but each vendor cuts his own deal and the manufacturer figures out how to make a profit. Given the volume Grizzly buys, I would guess they are a pretty safe bet for the price. I've owned several comatics, Steffs, a Univer, and a Euro I have no clue about. The Comatics were bought new. One was fine, the other would not lock down. I would rate my Steffs higher than the comatics, and the Univer higher than the Steff. I bought them used and still prefer them to the comatics. The exception is the Comatic with the horizontal motor. They are sweet. I saw several in Atlanta and yes, the fit and finish and machining of the one at the Martin booth was best, followed by the ones on display at the comatic booth, followed by every else's rebadged ones. Again, there may be no difference in performance but there is a difference. Some definitely have some additional steps taken. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    It's not a matter of making stuff that doesn't work but there will be differences. They may not matter to most of us but each vendor cuts his own deal and the manufacturer figures out how to make a profit. Given the volume Grizzly buys, I would guess they are a pretty safe bet for the price. I've owned several comatics, Steffs, a Univer, and a Euro I have no clue about. The Comatics were bought new. One was fine, the other would not lock down. I would rate my Steffs higher than the comatics, and the Univer higher than the Steff. I bought them used and still prefer them to the comatics. The exception is the Comatic with the horizontal motor. They are sweet. I saw several in Atlanta and yes, the fit and finish and machining of the one at the Martin booth was best, followed by the ones on display at the comatic booth, followed by every else's rebadged ones. Again, there may be no difference in performance but there is a difference. Some definitely have some additional steps taken. Dave
    I have a 1hp King made by Comatic and it is the same as the others, paid $599 and it works great. But the Steffs do look very nice, just couldn't bare to spend $200 more.

The maggi site lists two US resellers, including J & G Engineering in NC. Has anyone dealt with J and G? Their website looks like a real company.

http://www.maggi-engineering.com/doc...ivenditori.pdf

http://www.jgmachinery.com/woodworking-brands/STEFF

Charles G.G. Schmidt in NJ carries Steff feeders

Jim

Have to agree with David, it's been common knowledge for some time that some of the less expensive feeders don't lock down as well as the better one's do. I don't know what part of the manufacturing process causes it....but it does exist

JeffD