Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lost in the shavings

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Koepke View Post
    I turned an ice cream scoop last night for the first time, dropped the bushing and took 40 minutes to find it. One positive, at least half of my turning area is now clean!
    I jsut turned an Ice Cream scoop for the first time, I just posted it under the tittle "fourth project". I'd like to see yours, you can post it on my topic if you like.

Harbor freight sells a magnet on an adjustable handle that I put two 1" rare earth magnets onto the magnet that came with it. I can find anything in the shavings with it. I just swish it around in the shavings and see what I find. You never know!!!!!
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

The magnet trick often works. PSI has the 2 prong drive center for under $25 and it works well to give some flexibility in aligning the work piece. The 5/8" and 1" PSI Super Drive Centers (step center look alike) also work well for spindles, but for me don't have the drive for a larger bowl section. I have used the 1" super drive to remove bark and round up about 8"D x 14"L sections to make for easier storage on my move. I give recommendations for all 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    I have a cow magnet on a 24" flex rod just for digging into these situations! I store my "always used" stuff, centers, drill chucks, tail stocks, pencils and so on in the cage included on most bigger lathes. Fold it back and the slots are great for keeping stuff in.
    I know I might regret asking this question, but what the heck is a "cow magnet?"

Jamie, ranchers often make calves swallow them and they remain in I think the first stomach for life to prevent hardware disease which is when cows swallow odd bits of wire or nails. If metal passes on to the other parts of the digestion system males don't put on weight, and milk cows don't produce as much milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Donaldson View Post
    I know I might regret asking this question, but what the heck is a "cow magnet?"
    They are really hard to find anymore. They are just over 2" long, about 1/2" in diameter and crazy strong!! Since not all bailing wire gets cut off the bale of hay, cows do ingest wire parts causing internal damage. These magnets are "fed" to the cows to attract the wire and pass through the moo moo. Snap-on made one years...really...years ago with a handle and so on that works great!! Still have my Cow Mag on the wood cabinet though!!
    Last edited by Jim Burr; 03-27-2013 at 9:20 AM.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Roger that. HF has several that will pick up my lathe for 4-5 bucks. I still think wrenches and screwdrivers are good for the garden soil. The chuck drives do work well and are fairly cheap.
    Last edited by robert baccus; 03-26-2013 at 9:35 PM.

Yeah, a good strong magnet is your best friend for that job. I dropped a center in the shavings -- saw right where it dropped -- and it still took me 45 minutes of digging to find it.

If you don't already have a two-spur center, I would consider that an absolute necessity. (Pick a version that goes in your chuck if you prefer.) For spindle work, I prefer a Stebcenter type center. The four-spur isn't really good for much of anything, and I almost never use it. Any cheap center, WoodRiver, PSI, etc., will do just fine.