Thread: McEvoy video

McEvoy video

Hello I recently bought the video that Brian McEvoy made about burning and carving turnings. It was very good, a little long winded at times but a lot of information. I would recommend it to anyone that wanted to add the feather embellishments. I plan on doing that. Now, has anyone viewed his video about 2 piece hollow forms? Is it worth the money and does it really explain how he makes them. I would buy it but want to make sure it is worthwhile before I part with my money. Thanks Jared

I haven't seen the video but have seen him do it live at a demo and it was very interesting. He did a very good job describing and showing his process. If the video is as good as he is live then it is probably worth it. It's not overly complicated really. Make 2 shallow, thin bowls that each have true, flat rims and glue them together. I don't remember if he did tongue/grove or mortise/tenon for registration. I'd have to go back to my notes where ever they might be.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

I have it and and yes he goes into ever detail of his process. I for one would recommend it.
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

I have it and while he does go over every detail it is a very simple concept. The biggest item is to get a blank big enough to re-saw into two blanks and turn the two bowls such that the rims are the freshly sawn edge. Now the grain should match, bring them together at a fairly sharp angle and the joint will be nearly invisible. He turns the top piece thinner than the bottom so that piercing is easier.

His burning DVD is on my to-buy list.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I have his Secrets DVD and his 2 Piece DVD. He does explain in great detail. I had some 8/4 and 10/4 scrap lumber that I use to make these also. I have made and sold several of these two piece vases. If you get the seam perfectly flat and it will take a try or two you can't even see in some cases. I would recommend it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I have made a couple of small two piece HF`s from his instructions. I have purchased a burning unit to embellish the area where the seem comes together, as soon as i learn how to use it i will try it. I really like making them.I think there is a lot of design possibilities using the two piece method. The mounting on your chuck is the key to being successful. Carl

I have both videos and they are very good. I would recommend both. Same goes for the hollow turning video. I agree with Thom that the process is not that difficult once you see it. It's a handy way to make a form, compared to hollowing it all out of one piece -- especially when you want to do piercing on the top.