Thread: translucent pine bowl

translucent pine bowl

well since i have the shipment of 1000 pounds of norfolk pine coming in next week, i thought of practicing on regular pine from last weeks wood run. this pine even had some nice spalting.

the piece is turned from a whole log, so the center of the bowl is the pith. to prevent it from cracking and checking, i rough turned it yesterday and soaked it overnight in a 32g trashcan with 11 gallons of water and 11 gallons of kirkland(costco) dishwashing liquid. this is what ron kent does with his bowls, so i tried it for the first time. after i pulled it out this morning, i rechucked it and finish turned it right away. it smelled so good since it had an orange/pine scent. the sirup like solution also acted as a lubricant, so turning was smooth. here the bowl without and with light.
    so far i only emersed it in my watco bucket(4 gallons of watco in a 5 gallon bucket) for 6 hours. pulled it out and wet sanded it with 600 grit. now let dry for 12 hours, then same again. my goal is to do this for at least 15 times, so the oil will not be on the wood, but rather part of the wood. then i'l buff it.

sascha
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very pretty stuff Sasha. You say it's transluscent? Does that mean you'll make it into a lamp shade? I like it a lot.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Sasha,

That is a great looking peice! and out of pine! I have some spalted pine (Now don't laugh!) that I may just have to try out now.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

now lampshade, a bowl, check here

www.ronkent.com

sascha

That is really cool, Sascha! So is the website! Have you tried the alcohol method of drying your green turned ware? I am relatively new to green wood turning but so far I have been very successful with Dave Smith's method. It works like a charm for me.

Very pretty piece, please post a picture when you buff it out!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

I like that website. I especially like the fact that he doesn't play by the rules. (it's the rebel in me) Very nice work.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

ron kent is a nice guy, he actually is friends with david marks and a guy who owns a gallerie in the same strip mall where my salon is. i wrote him an e-mail and he replied. he says even his bowls crack at times, happens, don't sweat it.

i love making that fancy stuff, i can't wait to see what it's gonna look like when it's done

and i have tried the alcoho method, works well, but so far i like the soap drying. it's not somuc drying the wood faster i guess, but preventing any checking and warping. i did have a few pieces that were useless after alcohol drying, so i'll give this a shot, even though i haven't tried it on all woods yet

sascha
    Last edited by sascha gast; 05-11-2005 at 3:21 AM.

That's a beautiful bowl Sascha, and thanks for the info on your process. I'll be looking up a costco. There must be one in the Houston area.

Ernie