Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Needing some advice on tear out

My apologies on the chipbreaker advice. I thought you may have meant a secondary bevel. Once you have the plane appropriately sharp, you'll be better off using the chipbreaker than applying a back bevel.

No problem David. I have 2 identical planes and my intent is to set one up each way to learn, for me what seems to work better. The ultra close chip breaker or the back bevel effectively changing the attack angle. I'm still learning. And like I just learned, my mirror finish isn't good enough, yet.
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

I think it's a great exercise in planing, but with some wood it's easer to just use sandpaper.

Well I went through my shop this morning looking for a bar of green rouge, found everything but.

Then I happened to remember that I had a little left over "moonshine polish" that I got from my brother. Its a home made liquid polish that has green zephyr as its base plus some other stuff. Its used for polishing aluminum on semi trucks. Its the fastest cutting aluminum polish you will ever use.

Anyway, I put a little on a piece of MDF and had instant results. Very noticeable difference in the cut and the tear out I was getting in the oak was reduced by close to 80-90%.

I have a long way to go but at least I'm on the right track now. Thanks guys!
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

Sharp really can help solve 90% of problems.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice