Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rikon Sale

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    I just checked...there's no Excessive Weight charge if purchased at a store. Price for the 18" would be 1,049.99 + tax. Seems like a great deal....particularly if you have a pickup to haul it home in.
    For $75, I wonder if it'd pay rent a truck with a lift gate and not have to worry about shipping damage & being home to accept the shipment. Of course there's also mileage ......

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aeschliman View Post
    That's an insane sale... Now you have me thinking....
    not as insane as december, 2012 when the 10-345 was $999.

Rub it in why don't you! ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    Oh really.... April 1st? Is someone joshing us?
    No Joshing! unless your name happens to be Josh....

I picked up the 14" (10-325) today from Woodcraft (for $799), and I can't wait to get it set up. I really debated getting the 18" (for $1099) but for what I do, the 14" will suit me just fine and I'll be able to use the extra $$ for some blades and other accessories. I almost got the Kreg fence, but I first want to see how the stock fence works out.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT Fitzgerald View Post

I picked up the 14" (10-325) today from Woodcraft (for $799), and I can't wait to get it set up. I really debated getting the 18" (for $1099) but for what I do, the 14" will suit me just fine and I'll be able to use the extra $$ for some blades and other accessories. I almost got the Kreg fence, but I first want to see how the stock fence works out.
    Congrats!

I read a review in one of the recent woodworking magazines (Fine Woodworking?) on aftermarket bandsaw fences. They recommended the Grizzly fence, which give you a tall resaw fence as well as a few other configurations (low fence options). They liked it more than the Kreg... something to look into if that time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT Fitzgerald View Post

If you're in the "gotta adjust the fence for drift" camp, you probably won't like the fence that comes with the saw. I'm more in the "run the blade in the middle of both wheels and use a good quality blade. It won't drift." camp. I bought a second bar so can use the fence across the entire table. I also changed out the bolts and knobs on the fence. My bolts are T bolts and my knobs are common jig knobs that I find much easier to grasp.

BS_2_1.jpgBS_1_1.jpgfence3.JPG

Curt - good idea on getting the second bar for the fence. I'm already not impressed with the fence, but neither am I upset by it. it is what it is. I still have to complete the setup and tuning, so I'll cross the 'drift' part when I come to it.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Gilbert View Post
    What about keeping my vintage ('50's) 14" Powermatic when the new saw arrives? How many of you have two saws?
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ladendorf View Post
    This is what I would do as well. I have a 1971 PM 141 that I would love to dedicate to curved cuts and resaw with a larger one like the Rikon. That's a great deal IMHO.
    Listen to Doug, Paul. +1 on keeping it.

A couple years ago I picked up a 17" (used). At the time I was advised to also keep my old 14" bandsaw. I have a fairly compact (11x22) basement shop, so I was loathe to squeeze both in there. But I figured I would give it a try. I'm glad I did. I managed to find the space. I keep a small blade on the 14" and use that mostly for curves and small cuts. I keep a big blade on the 17" and it is primarily for resawing or straight cuts. I find it very convenient.
    Then I also considered the the fact that my 14" was an off-brand (now-defunct) plain old taiwanese/chinese import, so I would not get that much upon resale. As such the decision to keep it was pretty easy.

Paul, Just try it out for a couple months with two saws. You can always sell the other one in September, if you decide you don't want two.
    "It's Not About You."