Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rikon Sale

Rikon Sale

I have been looking for a larger band saw for awhile. I finally settled on a Rikon 18" (10-345). When I went to my local Woodcraft I was told to wait a week, and they would be on sale. They sell the 10-345 for $1499 now and the sale price will be $1049 starting next Sat. Does anyone know if this is just a Woodcraft sale, or is it a National Rikon sale?

What about keeping my vintage ('50's) 14" Powermatic when the new saw arrives? How many of you have two saws? I can sell my old saw for the price of a OneWay Strong Hold chuck for my wood lathe. I only have one chuck and would like to have another so that I am not frequently changing jaws. I guess it is a choice of blade changes or jaw changes.

That's one helluva sale, if true.....

I, for one, would love to have two bandsaws in my shop. Not having the room, I settle for one. If you've got the room, I'd say get the second larger one. You've already got, just about, the best 14"er. Add the Rikon and there'll be a lot more green (with envy) around the Creek.
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Keep your old saw. I have a 14" and when I bought my bigger saw I dedicated a resaw blade on it and keep the smaller saw for curve cuts. It is very convenient/fast not to swap blades (uncoil/coil, adjust tension, drift, etc etc).

Joe - I'ts for real. I saw the mail out that you will soon receive if you are on their mailing list.

How long will it be on sale? A month?

That's an insane sale... Now you have me thinking....

The sale starts April 1; shipping is "free" except there is a $125 adder for "excessive weight". Total delivered excluding state sales tax will be $1,174.99.

The Rikon 14" 10-325 will be on sale for $874.99 delivered including a $75 excessive weight charge.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

But if you have a somewhat local store you could buy it there and not have to pay shipping, just tax. Right?

I just checked...there's no Excessive Weight charge if purchased at a store. Price for the 18" would be 1,049.99 + tax. Seems like a great deal....particularly if you have a pickup to haul it home in.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    Keep your old saw. I have a 14" and when I bought my bigger saw I dedicated a resaw blade on it and keep the smaller saw for curve cuts. It is very convenient/fast not to swap blades (uncoil/coil, adjust tension, drift, etc etc).
    This is what I would do as well. I have a 1971 PM 141 that I would love to dedicate to curved cuts and resaw with a larger one like the Rikon. That's a great deal IMHO.

Paul

I have a 14" Jet, and an 18" Rikon 10-340, the predecessor to the 10-345 your looking at. The sale is legit, and I don't regret buying my Rikon, nor keeping my Jet one bit.
    My Rikon is set up for resaw only, and the Jet for the other stuff. I have put some of the hardest woods available through my Rikon. Jatoba, cocobolo, ebony, padauk, bocote, wenge, bubinga, and it's never hiccuped. It is also dead on, very minimal deviation. I tend to do more long resaws, than short. Longest being a 22' 12/4 piece of Sitka Spruce. So it is a saw that can take it.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    The sale starts April 1; shipping is "free" except there is a $125 adder for "excessive weight". Total delivered excluding state sales tax will be $1,174.99.

The Rikon 14" 10-325 will be on sale for $874.99 delivered including a $75 excessive weight charge.
    Not nearly as good as 2 months ago when I bought my 10-345. But I guess you gotta take what's available when you need the tool.

I've got the 10-345, and it's great. But I would have kept my old smaller saw if I had the space for both (I barely have the space for the 18" alone). It is nice to be able to keep the smaller saw set up with a smaller blade for curves instead of swapping blades on the big saw. Of course, you'll have to decide whether the Stronghold would be more useful for you.

Woodcraft runs that Rikon deal twice every year. Pick it up in the store if you can to save some money -- but make sure you have a way to move that saw around. It's not light, and a bit tall and tippy. Assuming you don't have some sort of forked lift, an engine crane works a treat for getting it out of your pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    The sale starts April 1....
    Oh really.... April 1st? Is someone joshing us?