Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: computer losing network connectivity

computer losing network connectivity

My computer will lose network connectivity frequently. The icon at the lower right will get an exclamation mark meaning the connectivity is lost. If I do nothing it will restore all by itself after a few minutes. But it is an annoying problem. A search on the internet shows many with this problem yet with no definite resolution offered. I am using windows 7, connection to a router and then the modem.

I was having this problem on and off about 4 weeks ago. Seems that Verizon was having problems and the router would lose signal. I would check with your service provider.

You might have to provide some more details for any meaningful help--I think the reason that there area lot of problems w/o diagnoses on the internet is that the problem you have described seems vague. The first step in troubleshooting is to narrow the problem down. Are you using WiFi? If so, try plugging into the hardwired connection and see if the problems persist--if they don't, it might be a Wi-Fi issue. If you are plugged into a router, try plugging into the modem directly and see if the problem persists. If so, it might be a router problem. Do you have access to another computer? You might see if plugging a known good computer into your network the same way leads to similar results--it might be an issue with the network interface in your computer. Finally, and perhaps most likely, is what Warren suggested--it may be a network problem external to your house. You might put in a call to get a tech support appointment (although I'm guessing they will ask you to do all the things I enumerated above before they make a trip).

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    You might have to provide some more details for any meaningful help--I think the reason that there area lot of problems w/o diagnoses on the internet is that the problem you have described seems vague. The first step in troubleshooting is to narrow the problem down. Are you using WiFi? If so, try plugging into the hardwired connection and see if the problems persist--if they don't, it might be a Wi-Fi issue. If you are plugged into a router, try plugging into the modem directly and see if the problem persists. If so, it might be a router problem. Do you have access to another computer? You might see if plugging a known good computer into your network the same way leads to similar results--it might be an issue with the network interface in your computer. Finally, and perhaps most likely, is what Warren suggested--it may be a network problem external to your house. You might put in a call to get a tech support appointment (although I'm guessing they will ask you to do all the things I enumerated above before they make a trip).
    my setup is a lan cable to the router and then a cable to the modem. it could be a problem with the signal going on and off from the isp. I have looked high and low for a definitive answer and no one really knows how to fix the problem.

Which OS are you running? I have the same problem with windows 7 losing its connection all the time. I believe it is a driver issue that screws up the network stack.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    Which OS are you running? I have the same problem with windows 7 losing its connection all the time. I believe it is a driver issue that screws up the network stack.
    i am using windows 7 pro with avast pro antivirus. I uninstalled avast and it made no difference...i was still losing connectivity. I don't think the router is the issue as I have run many speed tests and the results are good. It is likely a driver issue but which one?

Have you called your provider to see if they can check your connection from their end?

I would still try plugging it directly into the modem. I would also try a friend's laptop to see if the same issues arise. Only by controlled swapping out of equipment are you going to get to an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Clement View Post
    Have you called your provider to see if they can check your connection from their end?
    no i did not call them yet..

The first thing to determine is where the disconnect is. When cpnnection is lost check the modem lights and see if they are the same as when you have a working connection.

If the modem lights are correct then check the router lights.

If you can't see where the problem is then contact your ISP and see if they can monitor your connection for problems.

Questions that need to be answered:
    Do you have more than 1 computer connected? If so do all computers lose connecion at the same time?
    If they do then it is either the router or moden dropping connection.

If you have manahement interfaces to the router and modem, open each and navigate to the connection status screen in each. When the connection drops check ech of the status screens (refresh them to make sure the information is current).

If the modem stays connected but the router doesnot, contact the router manufacturer customer service.
    If the computer cannot talk to the router then that is the most likely suspect.

It could be an ethernet cable problem or even the ethernet interface in the computer.
    If the modem loses connection contact the ISP customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    I would still try plugging it directly into the modem. I would also try a friend's laptop to see if the same issues arise. Only by controlled swapping out of equipment are you going to get to an answer.
    that a good idea to go directly into the modem..i will try that.

Blog Entries
    Do you have more than one computer connected to your network? if you do, does the other computer have the same problem?
    BTW: I too have Windows 7 and Avast. The only time I have trouble with loosing connectivity is when there is a problem with Cox.
    I would start with making sure it is not your internet provider, then I would check the router, then your network card.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

What happens if you run the network troubleshooter? If it restores your connection, there is your problem. If it is a layer 1 problem ie. network infrastructure, the troubleshooter will not make a difference. What does the network icon show? A disconnect?
    BTW have you tried foul language? It often helps.
    Paul

When I have the same type of issue I call my ISP and have them refresh the line. (whatever that is) Things get better after that.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

If this started just today or late yesterday I would give it a few hours or another day or two. There is a little cyber-war going on out there as I write this.
    You can read more here.
    To understand recursion, one must first understand recursion