Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Baileigh Industrial "build us a box" Woodworking Contest, Win $1,600 !!!!!!

Hi Keith, actually a jigsaw blade. I ground the end on a bit of a radius and hold it in some small vise grips. The vise grips rest on the tool rest and the blade is brought against the wood at a slightly downward angle. With the wood spinning at 800 to 1000 rpm, the blade will screetch and chatter causing a pattern.

Blog Entries
    IMHO you've done an excellent job, glad to see a turning in the mix. I had considered doing a turning but I couldn't think of a way to incorporate the logo. Well done.
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 04-28-2013 at 12:27 PM.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

3. Good to see a few more entries popping up. Hayes, that logo is better than I could have done freehand on a curved surface, no forgiveness needed there

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes Rutherford View Post
    Hi Keith, actually a jigsaw blade. I ground the end on a bit of a radius and hold it in some small vise grips. The vise grips rest on the tool rest and the blade is brought against the wood at a slightly downward angle. With the wood spinning at 800 to 1000 rpm, the blade will screetch and chatter causing a pattern.
    Hayes,

Sorry about the slip up, I knew you said jig saw blade but my fingers disconnected from my brain when I responded.
    Did you hold the vise grip in your hands or clamp it to the tool rest?
    The pattern looks perfect all the way around.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 04-29-2013 at 3:57 PM.

That's a nice looking box. Also curious exactly how the jigsaw blade works - that's a great technique.

The vise grips need to rest on the tool rest just like any tool. The rest needs to be high enough so the blade is angling downward. There are commercial chatter tools available that are more convenient but not having one shouldn't keep anyone from trying it.

I will post a photo tonight .

7. Had hoped to be able to photograph/film mine today, but the finish wasn't *quite* to the point I want it, so put one last coat on. Wheres the fun if you aren't running things down to the last minute anyway?

Ok Here we go outside the box a little bit but nonetheless it was fun to build and hope you all get a kick out of it. I tried to upload 2 animated gifs showing the progress but I guess I can only upload JPEGS. If anyone wants to see them I guess Pm me and I will send them or better would be tell me what I am doing wrong on trying to post them. I guess it needed a name I guess Tommy Gun
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Craig Matheny; 04-29-2013 at 6:10 PM.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

Crimony... a thompson submachine gun.

I predict that hand craftsmanship and time spent will be a factor.

Wyko's humidor will be a contender, and I wouldn't be suprised if a CNC/laser box doesn't get runner up. I didn't compete because i knew I didn't have the time to compete with the big guns. The thought of competing against CNC technology with a scroll saw and a dovetail jig is a bit intimidating.

Hey I said it was outside the box
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe

Very cool! Neat how the parts fit together. It looks like the barrel was made with a large number of discs stacked up - is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Bipes View Post
    Very cool! Neat how the parts fit together. It looks like the barrel was made with a large number of discs stacked up - is that right?
    The parts are all glued together there is over 230 pieces in the Tommy Gun and yes the barrel is a ton of small pieces.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe

Craig, that is a serious piece of work. Very impressive and unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Hayes,

Sorry about the slip up, I knew you said jig saw blade but my fingers disconnected from my brain when I responded.
    Did you hold the vise grip in your hands or clamp it to the tool rest?
    The pattern looks perfect all the way around.
    Keith, here is how I hold the blade for a chatter pattern. There are really no rules so anything goes. It really only works on end grain. Different amounts of overhang, RPM, the grind on the blade, how you go about moving it to cover an area all affect the outcome
    ctool.jpg
    At about 800 RPM in about 3 seconds the pattern looked like this:
    clid.jpg