Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Baileigh Industrial "build us a box" Woodworking Contest, Win $1,600 !!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Rick but I know I have my work cut out for me. Kathy's in the game so I'm going to have to really hustle. I'm making some dinner & heading out to the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Markham View Post
    I'd fully expect since Bill is in that the moderators won't be doing any yachting anytime soon!!!

Go Bill!!! Bring your A game fellas... you're going to need it!
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    Thanks Rick but I know I have my work cut out for me. Kathy's in the game so I'm going to have to really hustle. I'm making some dinner & heading out to the shop.
    There are way too many excellent woodworkers on SMC so I know exactly about how good my chances are, but Keith threatened to revoke my SMC Yacht priviledges so I decided I better enter something , besides, nothing like a little challenge to get me to push my boundaries.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Blog Entries
    You all have lost me on this Yacht thing, is it an inside joke?

Blog Entries
    Ok, we need some pictures. While many of you will be using lasers my friend Paul has a Chevalet. This tool was created in the late 1700's for production marquetry. It has a foot activated clamp to hold your stack of veneers and a "D" shaped saw that is held perpendicular to your cut but will move front to back and in a side to side motion. You release the the foot lever that holds the veneer & you can turn and move your stack. It cuts through all your veneers at once so the pieces can be reassembled in the order you prefer. Anyway, enjoy the pics & good luck to everyone.

Then there's figuring out the veneers. Here are some I'm considering.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 04-03-2013 at 4:03 PM.

5. Good luck to all!
    Shane Henderson
    Baileigh Industrial Woodworking
    920-482-3220
    shenderson@baileighindustrial.com

Visit our sponsored forum here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdis...2-Baileigh-Inc

Bill,

The Chevalet is an interesting tool. Can't say that I understand its function very well but I get that it cuts multiple pieces of veneer. So if you are building a box and want to use veneer how does the Chevalet help other than cutting identical pieces?

It's an inside joke, since our Moderators are all volunteer they are given access to our fictitious SawMill Creek yacht, our cabin in the mountains or the jet plane

Blog Entries
    LMAO sounds good to me. The way it works is, you see the knob on the upper left, it has a jewelers blade going from the knob to the other side and through that little V groove in the light colored piece of wood. The light pieces are the clamp that you put your stack of veneers between. There's a foot lever that activates the piece of wood with the V in it that allows you to clamp and release your stack of veneers so you can turn the stack & follow your drawing. the whole armature that the knob is attached to moves back and forth to make the cut. This devise is what the logo will be cut out with.There will be more pics soon.

Blog Entries
    baileigh1.jpg
    Probably giving away some of the idea here but we need pics and post, come on everyone, lets see some teaser shots. This is the beginning of the marquetry from the Chevy posted above. One cut at a time.
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 04-05-2013 at 5:58 PM.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    baileigh1.jpg
    Probably giving away some of the idea here but we need pics and post, come on everyone, lets see some teaser shots. This is the beginning of the marquetry from the Chevy posted above. One cut at a time.
    Could you find a smaller picture? Ha Ha !
    Shane Henderson
    Baileigh Industrial Woodworking
    920-482-3220
    shenderson@baileighindustrial.com

Visit our sponsored forum here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdis...2-Baileigh-Inc

Blog Entries
    Can't let you all see the tiny details. There's a hidden secret that will add a lil extra to it.

Blog Entries
    OK here is the Chevalet in action. My friend Paul built it and is quite the pro on it, I'll be building one after my work bench project is done. He's teaching me this wonderful skill as we go.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/paulm54...33929715601218

Blog Entries
    I'd love to give this a go... I've got a pretty good idea... Just not enough time to get it done. A longer window period would have been nice. Some of us still can't get into the shop do to the weather. Good luck to all those who are giving it a shot!
    Have a Nice Day!

Keith mentioned up there that if one of the mods doesn't win, there will be no borrowing of the SMC Yacht I'm just cheering you on Bill! There will no doubt be an incredible showing of talent in this, I look forward to seeing what everyone makes!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    You may remember the big curved humidor I was building, I've been in need of an edge sander for over a year to finish that project. I really have to pull all the stops here. Can't show too many more pics, don't want to tip my hand too much.

15. Excellent and thank you-- I'm in (I think)

Lawrence