Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Design Software Recommendations?

Question Design Software Recommendations?

Hi all,

Does anyone have any recommendations for some design software for coming up with peppermill patterns? Here are the criteria that I'm looking for:
    1) Mac Compatible: I use a Mac
    2) Low learning curve: I'm an English major, not a computer scientist
    3) Capable of printing full sized designs: obviously most of my peppermills will have to be shorter than 11"

Thanks!

Noah

I don't have any recommendations for software that will help you with design rules and guidance. However, SketchUp is a software program that can be really powerful to help you visualize what you could make. SketchUp is a 3D graphics package that enables you to draw almost anything in three dimensions. It is powerful but has a significant learning curve. You don't need a computer engineering degree to use it but it will take a while before you master it. It was a Google company that was spun off. The software that you download is free and there are versions for Mac's and PC's. There is a professional version for several hundred dollars that you don't need.

The main problem that I have with SketchUp is that I can design a bowl with it but then when I turn it the bowl comes out looking different. Sometimes it even has a hole in the bottom that wasn't in the original design.

Good luck,
    David

Thanks David--I've had a few design "opportunities" myself--custom, handmade wooden funnels!

I checked out Sketchup and indeed, it seems like a powerful program. What I'm basically looking for is an electronic graph paper sketching program that I can then use to print templates for pepper mills. Some people might be wondering, why not grab some graph paper and a pencil? Unfortunately my drawing skills are abysmal. Additionally I'd like the ability to scale the drawing depending on if I'm building an 8" 10" or 12" mill.

Any guidance for this computer dummy?

Noah

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Barfield View Post
    Thanks David--I've had a few design "opportunities" myself--custom, handmade wooden funnels!

I checked out Sketchup and indeed, it seems like a powerful program. What I'm basically looking for is an electronic graph paper sketching program that I can then use to print templates for pepper mills. Some people might be wondering, why not grab some graph paper and a pencil? Unfortunately my drawing skills are abysmal. Additionally I'd like the ability to scale the drawing depending on if I'm building an 8" 10" or 12" mill.

Any guidance for this computer dummy?

Noah
    Noah,

I use Sketchlist 3D Pro on a PC. Short learning curve and pretty powerful. They have a Mac version as well. sketchlist.com

Jack

I would also recommend Sketchup. I use it all the time and not just for pepper mills.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

Hey Noah;
    Good to see your interest in peppermills, they make great gifts and fun to make too. For what it's worth forget about scaling your design up or down. Example, 2-1/2 in. is about right for the major diameter to hold in your hand, if you scaled up 50% from 6 in. hi you would create about 3-3/4 dia. to hold, way too big. So essentially , you simply adjust the height to fit your mechanism, 6-8-10 in. etc. A computer generated pattern and 3-D view would be great for this.

With your permission I will offer a couple of suggestions. First consider smooth flowing curves and not a lot of beads, coves,etc. as they catch all the grease and grime generated at the dinner table, spills, KFC residue etc. Second, check out the bookstore , there are several very helpful books on design, mechanisims, finishes and turning procedures. I make several mills and shaker sets a year and thoroughly enjoy the giving to friends and relatives as they appreciate the effort needed to produce them.

Good luck and good eats , Clint Merrill

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Barfield View Post
    Hi all,

Does anyone have any recommendations for some design software for coming up with peppermill patterns?

Noah
    I like a piece of paper and a pencil.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

I use MacDraft on my Mac. 2D only
    Proof that an idiot can learn it.

If you just want to generate profiles of smooth connected curves for pepper mills try Powerpoint.

1. Start with a clean slide
    2. On the View tab, turn on Rules and Gridlines
    3. On View/Show pick desired Grid spacing, select Display grid on screen
    4. On the Home/Shapes/Lines tab, select Curve
    5. Draw a curve with 6-10 segments
    6. Select the curve - On Drawing Tools/Format select edit points (on a PC you can also do this by right click on the curve, don't know what the convention is for Mac.)
    7. At this point, you can adjust the curve by manipulating the individual points, adding or deleting points.

You can google: powerpoint smooth curves to get additional information on this.

Inkscape will do all you need, though the learning curve may seem steep.
    To understand recursion, one must first understand recursion

Quote Originally Posted by John Beaver View Post
    I like a piece of paper and a pencil.
    Ditto. In my opinion, using computer software for peppermill design is total overkill. Likely will take you longer to learn the software and design the mill than it will to sketch a design and turn the mill. Peppermills are a lot of fun to make. Don't complicate the process with computer software. - John

Noah, beyond the software you might want to look at Richard Raffan's "Turned-Bowl Design". It is a really good read on design criteria. I don't recall if the club has a copy or not, but I know I have a copy.

I've also been talking to Dan Ackerman about doing a session at an up-coming meeting, we discussed Design and threaded-boxes. Maybe I should ask him about design...
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Rhino for OSX has been in development for several years and I hear the functionality and stability is getting close to the windows version.

Since it's still in beta development the OSX version is free. Rhino is a very powerful NURBS 3d modeling package that is widely used in marine, auto, architecture, product design, etc. While it's extraordinarily powerful, designing something like a peppermill (or candlestick, vase, bowl, platter, top, whatever) is as simple as using the curve tool in the front viewport to make and manipulate the shape of the object, once you get a shape you like, you can print it or, revolve around the axis (like on a lathe) to create the 3d surface or solid).

Tons of tutorials online and the price is right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjrSQSaGx38
    Kevin Groenke
    @personmakeobject on instagram
    Fabrication Director,UMN College of Design (retired!)

I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who replied and to apologize for not responding sooner. I've been laid up with a bad chest cold for two weeks and am just now getting back on my feet. I appreciate all of the recommendations and look forward to trying out some new software!

BTW, I recently watched Tod Sokolowski's DVD on pepper mill design--It makes me envy that fancy drafting table / tool he has.

Noah

It does seem like you could probably sketch out the shape quickly with paper and pencil but if you want to use SketchUp, you should know that it isn't difficult to use and you can print out full size patterns if you want them from your drawing. You can do it directly in SketchUp but there's an easier way using a free plugin.

I banged this out in about 5 minutes just making up the shape as I went along.

Here's another quick one based on a design by Danish designer Jens Harald Quistgaard.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 04-04-2013 at 10:57 AM.