Thread: Do you use you TS blade on your miter saw?

Do you use you TS blade on your miter saw?

As a hobby woodworker I have to wonder if I'm doing the right thing by using my table saw blade with 15 degree hook angle on my sliding miter saw,I have two Freud 50 tooth general purpose blades , an Infinity blade,and couple of other no name brands but all are for table saw use .
    I know a miter saw blade should have a negative hook angle (and the reasoning behind it)but don't know if is common for you all to have a a couple of 10" blades with negative hook for your SCMS and another set of two or three 10" blades for you table saw,it doesn't sound too practical.

One reason I bought a 10" SCMS was so I could stick with one size blade for both tools.
    So should I invest on a couple of miter saw blades ?

It really depends on the blade. For a sliding compound miter saw (SCMS) or a RAS, you really should have a blade with a low positive or negative hook (upwards of about 5° to 7° is ok, but I wouldn't recommend going any higher). The hook is less critical on a CMS, but I still wouldn't put a blade with a really steep positive hook angle on it.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 03-28-2013 at 9:09 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by ken masoumi View Post
    So should I invest on a couple of miter saw blades ?
    Yes. Yes you should. Safer and they cut better IME. And in my case I use thin kerf on the SCMS and mostly full kerf on the TS, so swapping is more difficult.

Very different purposes so you're really accepting some compromises to share one blade. A 40T 15-20° is right at home on a TS but a 80T 0-5° is great on a SCMS.

I believe blade choice should be dictated more by the material being cut and what orientation it's being cut in. I often use the same blades between diffetent tyoes of saws.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I believe blade choice should be dictated more by the material being cut and what orientation it's being cut in.
    +1
    my mitre blade has been on the tablesaw
    so now my "tablesaw blade" is on mitre saw...
    Carpe Lignum

I use an 80t Diablo on the MS (non-slider) with no probs.
    I also have one for the TS, so I guess that you can. Having said that, If I were in a production shop with a slider or RAS, I'd opt for a negative rake for a "no climb" risk.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I've done the opposite: used my 12" CMS blade on my 10" table saw because I need the extra reach. I had to yank some stuff out of the throat area of the saw to fit it, however, but it worked like a charm.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

A friend used my slider last week and although the blade on it was a proper SCMS blade(infinity 010-060), he force cut a piece of hard maple and destroyed it and managed to bent the fence as well.
    So this morning I bought two extra blades, one with hook angle of 7 deg.(Diablo D1060S) and one for table saw( D1080X)
    After what happened and reading some of the posts here I didn't want to take a Chance and get the wrong blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I've done the opposite: used my 12" CMS blade on my 10" table saw because I need the extra reach....
    No arbor issues, Chris?

No I don't share blades

- the bore is different

- all my tablesaw blades have positive tooth angles

Regards, Rod

When I buy a blade for my miter saw, I read the packaging and it tells you what they are recommended for. Years ago I put just a carbide tipped saw blade on my miter saw, it threw a piece of wood several feet and broke a window. That blade was NOT recommended for a miter saw. I have to learn things the hard way.