Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw arrived today

Bandsaw arrived today

My brand spanking new G0555LX arrived today after a very fast ship. FedEx arrived with a lift gate truck and a pallet jack. The driver unloaded the saw and base and deposited it in my garage. Not a mark on the two boxes. I was so excited as I opened the box and saw my new bandsaw. It was packed very well. Here I am a few hours later after building the base unit, grabbing a couple of friends and mounting the saw to the base and now just standing there admiring my new saw.

This whole thing was a great experience with only one minor exception, there were no bolts to mount the saw to the base unit. Fortunately I had some on hand that worked fine. Thank you Grizzly and SMC for making my day.

Some of you asked to see a picture when I got it set up but it will be a few days yet as I have an extension kit to install and then the standard set up to insure that all is running properly. I also have another fence on order that will allow me to resaw larger pieces but it is on back order. How fun!
    Last edited by Gordon Eyre; 02-22-2013 at 9:24 PM.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Did you win the saw on the drawing?Last month

Congrats Gordon! I'm thinking that maybe you should be handing out cigars, with your new "addition" and all.

Congratulations! Enjoy it.

Congrats Gordon. You will be one happy guy with that saw. Now go back and continue to do the happy dance while you finish the assembly !
    Dick Mahany.

Yeah He did,
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...aw-Gordon-Eyre

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post

Gordon, congrats. I'd say I'm jealous but not really. I bought a G0555LX about 5 months ago and have been very pleased with it. I'm not using a riser, don't need it for what I'm doing presently.

I had what I felt was too much vibration in the upper wheel housing and a little too noticeable on the table. I tried small wheel weights, didn't help. Ultimately I flipped the upper wheel and it's much better now, go figure.

I guess either I got lucky or tuned it well; I have zero drift when resawing. That was a nice surprise. I have it hooked up to a dedicated wall mount Grizzly dust collector which does quite well, far better than when I had my Fein Turbo II connected to it.

Enjoy the saw. It's very good quality at such a great price point, for you $0 but even at the $545 normally. I was lucky, got it last year when they ran the intro price at $445 which made it a no brainer between an LX and just about anything I could find on Craigslist.

Congrats Gordon. It is probably just as much fun setting it up as it will be using it the first time. Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Yes I did Andrew and it was something I had wanted for several years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    Congrats Gordon! I'm thinking that maybe you should be handing out cigars, with your new "addition" and all.
    Thanks Harold and it is certainly a nice addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hodgin View Post
    Congratulations! Enjoy it.
    Thanks a bunch Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    Congrats Gordon. You will be one happy guy with that saw. Now go back and continue to do the happy dance while you finish the assembly !
    Definitely doing the happy dance!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Diodati View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Schweikert View Post
    Gordon, congrats. I'd say I'm jealous but not really. I bought a G0555LX about 5 months ago and have been very pleased with it. I'm not using a riser, don't need it for what I'm doing presently.

I had what I felt was too much vibration in the upper wheel housing and a little too noticeable on the table. I tried small wheel weights, didn't help. Ultimately I flipped the upper wheel and it's much better now, go figure.

I guess either I got lucky or tuned it well; I have zero drift when resawing. That was a nice surprise. I have it hooked up to a dedicated wall mount Grizzly dust collector which does quite well, far better than when I had my Fein Turbo II connected to it.

Enjoy the saw. It's very good quality at such a great price point, for you $0 but even at the $545 normally. I was lucky, got it last year when they ran the intro price at $445 which made it a no brainer between an LX and just about anything I could find on Craigslist.
    I am hoping for the best but will not be able to use it for a few days because it was missing a part (quick release tension handle). customer service was great and the part will be shipped on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    Congrats Gordon. It is probably just as much fun setting it up as it will be using it the first time. Enjoy
    Thanks, i am enjoying it all. I have watched a You Tube video on setting up a band saw five times now so I am ready for this.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Wow! Congratulations on your new band saw. I'm curios, what's the resaw capacity? It's a cool looking saw. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus Dundon View Post
    Wow! Congratulations on your new band saw. I'm curios, what's the resaw capacity? It's a cool looking saw. Enjoy.
    As it comes standard The resaw cap. is 6" but I bought an extender kit for it which increases it to 12"
    Best Regards,

Gordon

What do you mostly resaw on it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus Dundon View Post
    What do you mostly resaw on it ?
    I have never owned a bandsaw so the answer would be "nothing" but I did not want to be limited to 6".
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Congratulations Gordon, I am happy for you.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Eyre View Post
    I have never owned a bandsaw so the answer would be "nothing" but I did not want to be limited to 6".
    I had not resawed anything before I got my riser block either. I opened up a whole new opportunity for me. When making jewelry boxes or Doug Stowe style boxes, I was able to resaw 4/4 rough stock and yield 2 boards that finished at 3/8" thick, essentially doubling my yield! Sure beats planing down thick stock for thin material. Of course, one can also do this without the riser block for narrower stock, but I hadn't tried it. You'll enjoy that capability. Also great for slicing thin veneer layers from large burl caps for bookmatching.
    Dick Mahany.