Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Craftsman 2.5 HP Router.....anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    There has to be something besides amps in that determines power out.
    Horsepower out = Amps In times Volts in divided by 746 multiplied by efficiency. The efficiency of motors that size is typically 60% and the input voltage 120V. Thus HP out = Amps x 0.0965. For the 14A Sears that's 1.35HP and the 15A PC is 1.45HP. The "Peak Horsepower" or "Developed Horsepower" is marketing puffery supported only by trick measurements and misleading definitions. Look at the current draw and ignore the HP numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    Look at the current draw and ignore the HP numbers.
    Perhaps the PC is more efficient?

Just take a look at this pic of a PC next to a Bosch 12-amp router:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=238896&d=1344727889

I believe, BTW, that the 14-amp Craftsman unit in question would be physically the same size as the Bosch.
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 03-31-2013 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Aronson View Post
    What is the motor diameter on it?
    Check out Phil's photo on pg.1. The Bosch and C'Man motor are almost identical. Then look at the PC, you will see why the PC is a better motor for this kind of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Jump View Post
    <snip>
    Longer story shorter, I picked up the router Friday, and though the wife wasnt extremely happy, I ran out to Harbor Freight this morning before the family got here to get thier 1/2" raised panel bit to practice with, using thier 25% coupon, that of course, was only good for Easter Sunday.

I will let you all know how it goes. I got some walnut and ash for free that I will build a couple practice doors with.
    Don't get discouraged if the cut quality of your practice raised panels is less than what you'd like. Harbor Freight bits and cutters tend to not have enviable reputations. It seems like Sears/Craftsman is making an effort to rehabilitate the brand. The 'zipcode' table saws and the steel frame bandsaws were reputed to be very good values as are the current router line. They have a long row to hoe though, I think.

The diameter is 3.5"
    To understand recursion, one must first understand recursion

I agree with the Harbor Freight quality - I just didnt want to drop the $$$$ for a Freud set yet until I get some practice run time in, figured the $45 for the set to practice was worth not trashing a good set, just in case the Craftsman doesnt have the umph.....

If you convert 3.25 horsepower to watts, the PC would pull 20.2 amps at 120 volts (It is rated at 15 amps). The Craftsman would draw 15.3 amps (closer to the truth). I would need to dismount my PC to look into it, but I think it has more air space for better cooling, hence the larger size.

John

Oh, I don't blame you Justin, laying out that kind of cash for the big PC router and a good bit will be costly. Believe me I cried when I done it, hopefully it will outlast me. Like I said I like the Craftsman router too, thats why I own 3 of them.........LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Jump View Post
    I agree with the Harbor Freight quality - I just didnt want to drop the $$$$ for a Freud set yet until I get some practice run time in, figured the $45 for the set to practice was worth not trashing a good set, just in case the Craftsman doesnt have the umph.....
    I'm not sure how using a lower quality bit will help you decide whether this router is powerful enough. If anything, a Freud bit will give it more "umph" than the HF one.
    To understand recursion, one must first understand recursion

Quote Originally Posted by Darius Ferlas View Post
    I'm not sure how using a lower quality bit will help you decide whether this router is powerful enough. If anything, a Freud bit will give it more "umph" than the HF one.
    No question about that. A sharp well designed 'anything' will cut easier than a dull 'anything'. Assuming Justin isn't in a production mode, that router should work fine for raising panels. Just don't do it all in one pass. Being variable speed is likely more important than 14 amp vs. 15 amp. Speaking of variable speed, it'll be interesting to see how reliable that is. I know variable speed on Porter-Cable and DeWalt routers is a weak point and the weak points are different on the different brands.

Does anyone who has this router know the motor diameter? My router table lift is sized to fit the porter cable 690/890 router not the 7518 router motor size. It is a Jessem but I didn't realize there was a size difference way back when I bought it. I currently have a 690 in it and I know that is not the best choice, this craftsman router looks similarly powered to the 890.

The Dewalt 618's also share the same motor size, but those are just as underpowered as the 690.

I'm @ work right now, when I go home I will measure the router for you and post it here. Which JessEm lift do you own?

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Rice View Post
    I'm @ work right now, when I go home I will measure the router for you and post it here. Which JessEm lift do you own?
    It is the Mast-R-Lift but the version I have isn't sized the the 7518 routers. I bought it before I knew the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Aronson View Post
    Does anyone who has this router know the motor diameter? My router table lift is sized to fit the porter cable 690/890 router not the 7518 router motor size. It is a Jessem but I didn't realize there was a size difference way back when I bought it. I currently have a 690 in it and I know that is not the best choice, this craftsman router looks similarly powered to the 890.

The Dewalt 618's also share the same motor size, but those are just as underpowered as the 690.
    Dave,
    Hey I'm sorry I didn't get back with you till today. The Craftsman Professional router motor diameter is 3.5". Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Denny Rice; 05-11-2013 at 2:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Rice View Post
    Dave,
    Hey I'm sorry I didn't get back with you till today. The Craftsman Professional router motor diameter is 3.5". Hope this helps.

Thanks, that is the same diameter as the 690/890, I'm going to give it a shot. I can always return it if doesn't fit. I hope my wife doesn't notice another router in the garage.