Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veritas twin screw, Bench front QR Vise & Tail QR vise review. (pics)

Blog Entries

Veritas twin screw, Bench front QR Vise & Tail QR vise review. (pics)

Some of you may know I'm building a new multi generational bench. I say multi generational because it should last centuries longer than I will.
    When it came to vises I put a lot of thought into what I needed, what the cost would be VS the return I would get on my investment. I'm guessing I'll use this bench for the rest of my life so that made me realize I should really invest in top quality vises that won't bind or stick and cause me frustration for ever. We've all seen the twin screw from Veritas, its basically become the standard when it comes to twin screw vises. It's the vise that made me think of them first. After contacting Lee Valley and Veritas, I came away with a lot of info and confident that they were the right choice. The people at both Veritas and Lee Valley were very knowledgeable, courteous and never pushy to get me off the phone or into some other thing I don't want. They helped me decide which vises would suit my needs and how they would work with my bench design. I now have all 3 vises in my possession and can say, pics don't do them justice. In the beginning I thought it was a lot to spend on vises but now that I have them in my hands, I can say they are worth every penny. The design, especially the quick release, and the extreme quality of construction overall really sets them apart from the crowd. I have a less expensive vise on my bench at home and it sticks and the QR is temperamental. With all the effort I'm putting into the build of this bench, I just can't have those problems. Anyway, this is all I can say about them so far. I'll be back with more on the installation and the function of them when I put them to the test. I just hope they perform as well as they look and feel sitting on my counter. (I'm pretty sure they will)

veritas.jpgVeritas 1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 03-28-2013 at 9:08 PM.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Blog Entries
    Anyone else have any experience with these vises? I'm so busy this week that all I get to do is look at them for now. Like putting a bone under glass for your dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    Anyone else have any experience with these vises? I'm so busy this week that all I get to do is look at them for now. Like putting a bone under glass for your dog.
    Bill,
    I have the twin screw vise and like it very much. One thing to note is that when extended, the screws tilt down due to the weight of the vice face and mechanism. To prevent that I installed a strip of HDPE between the underside of the bench top and the top of the screws and it works wonders. The other thing is that there is an extra small shear pin with the parts......don't loose it like I did.
    Dick Mahany.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Dick, can you post a pic of the HDPE? I'll be using the wide mount option due to my bench being about 32" across. I want to do this right the first time. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I have the twin screw. They are not kidding when they say to read ALL the instructions. I would even suggest you make a quick mock up in pine 2x4s before cutting into your nice bench. Get some UMHV plastic to place between the bench and screw (when the vise is fully closed) to prevent sagging. If you're going with an all-wood design then something cable of handling abrasion could be substituted (hickory, hard maple, lignum vitae, etc.).

Blog Entries
    I'm still having trouble understanding where it goes. Is it under the bench between the screw and bottom of the bench? I've been reading the instructions over & over. I definitely have to get it right the first time. Good idea to mock up a pine one first, I'll probably do that just to be safe.

I'm still having trouble understanding where it goes. Is it under the bench between the screw and bottom of the bench? I've been reading the instructions over & over. I definitely have to get it right the first time. Good idea to mock up a pine one first, I'll probably do that just to be safe.
    You got it. It's attached to the bottom of the bench top (at least on mine) above the screw. I used a piece of ash scrap for my blocks. I don't use that vice that much as it turns out. Too much work to run the vice in/out. I almost always use my quick-release in the tail position. I am really thinking about switching out the twin-screw for the same quick-release front vice you purchased.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

It goes between the screw and the underside of the top. Let's say you have a 1" space above the screw, then fill it with a solid material that just clears the top of the screw. I 'll take a pic of what I did later today, but will have to play around a bit with the camera to see how to photo it. I think I layered a 1/2" strip of black HDPE on a strip of maple that were the width and length of the screws. It just barely clears the screw tops when closed, and when opening, the HDPE provides a nice frictionless bearing surface and eliminates sag. My bench is 30" across and it works fine. Layout is important, but with your surgical precision work, should be a walk in the park.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 03-29-2013 at 12:52 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

Blog Entries
    I get it now, thanks guys. I have a cutting board made of Teflon or something like that, I'll use that between them.

photo of screw blocks

I happen to have a picture of one of those blocks in a photo I uploaded for a different thread. You can see the block right above the screw in the top right corner. the other block you see toward the end of the screw is supporting bins in the split top.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Blog Entries
    Thanks Jim for the help, can't wait to get this thing done. Won't have a chance to do anything til after easter, drives me nuts to just look at the parts built & the vises. So close & yet so far.

Blog Entries
    I went on their site & realized they offer a wide kit for the twin screw. I got that on the way due to my bench being 32 to 34 inches wide. (Haven't determined my tray width down the center of the bench yet.)

Blog Entries
    I was also wondering, I see some benches with very thick jaw faces. I want to do that but how thick is too thick? I have 2 pieces of 8/4 Bubinga I was going to double up, is that too much or should I take it down a bit?

Mine finished up just shy of 1-3/4" and have been rock solid for my needs. I could have gone thicker, but decided I would rather have the vise capacity than thicker jaws.
    Dick Mahany.

Blog Entries
    I thought about countersinking the threaded part under the bench to recover some of the capacity. The end of my bench is 12/4.