Thread: 1-3/8" vs 2" 23 gauge pin nailer

1-3/8" vs 2" 23 gauge pin nailer

I am debating between the Cadex 1-3/8" for $199 or the Fasco 2" for 199.Both have excellant user ratings(5 star) and both can use the slightly headed pins. In what instances would the 2" be of benefit to me and would the higher profile of the Fasco affect how I use it.
    Thanks Barry

In what instances would the 2" be of benefit to me
    Thats difficult to impossible to say since just about everyone has different ideas about where, when and how nailers should be used.
    Personally, I seldom use a 23 ga pin longer than 3/4".
    If I have something thicker than a 1" pin can hold, I'll find an alternative method or go with an 18 ga.
    That's just me though.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Do you think you'll ever need to tack a 1.5" piece of trim in place before clamping? Laminate three pieces of 3/4"? I pretty regularly use 2" pins. That being said, I also have a 1" pinner for tighter spaces, which does come up from time to time.

I bought a 2" Grex because I didn't want to run into a situation where I needed 2" and couldn't do it. But I've never needed a 2" pin. About the longest I ever use is 1 3/8".

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have a Cadex that shoots 1/2"-1 3/8", never wished for anything more.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Atkins View Post
    I have a Cadex that shoots 1/2"-1 3/8", never wished for anything more.
    ___Ditto___

I shot many 1.75" 23 gauge pins the other day when aligning molding/trim. Mine is the Grex P650 model. They longer pins proved useful at times, but that's my opinion. One reviewer on Amazon claims the Fasco are produced in the same factory as the Grex models and simply rebadged.

http://www.amazon.com/Fasco-F23C-A64...owViewpoints=1

If that's the case, you would have one heck of a tool. Do what you want, but the Fasco F23C A64-50PB that shoots 2" pins costs the same as the one that shoots smaller pins, $200. Any way you go, you'll get a good pinner.

$20 Menards 1 3/8". Done. Works perfect. Buy it and try it out. When you need longer then drop $200+.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I went with a 2" gun for the "just in case", but I find that 2" at 23 gage is kind of a stretch, most of the time I go to the 18 gage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I bought a 2" Grex because I didn't want to run into a situation where I needed 2" and couldn't do it. But I've never needed a 2" pin. About the longest I ever use is 1 3/8".

Mike
    #1 and for the same reasons as Mike.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post

Mike
    I bought the Grex 1-3/8". Since I can't shoot more, I don't miss the added capacity.

Rarely use greater than 1" anyway.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I have a Porter Cable 23 gauge I have had for a few years and it is a 1 3/8". I am not sure what you would need 2" for but I think you would be disappointed unless it's pretty soft wood. Mine has plenty of power but the 23 gauge pin can easily be deflected off straight in hard woods. At least in some seasoned oak that was my experience. More then once I have had it exit on the side of a piece I was edge nailing into. That is a tiny pin and can be deflected by the grain easily. I have to believe 2" length pins could be much more prone to this. Just my experience.

I have an 18 gauge brad nailer, use it for short brads, and a 16 gauge nailer for heavier jobs, up to 2 1/2". It takes a heavier nail to hold in construction type applications. Also have a 15 gauge nailer, it goes up to 2", but leaves a nasty indent. The 15 gauge is still smaller diameter than the finish nails that were used before air nailers were commonly used. Smaller diameter would be great for tacking small trim especially in woods that crack easily like oak. I find that holding the gun at a 90 degree angle to the grain keeps your wood from splitting, because of the angle on the edge of the nail, use the square part of the nail going across grain, angles across the grain cause cracks.