Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodpecker router lift problems

Blog Entries

Woodpecker router lift problems

I have a Wood Pecker router lift from about 10 or 15 years ago, they don't make it anymore. It was untouched until about 3 months ago. Now the brass bushings on the 2 main guide shafts come out of the router body clamp. This means the lift has nothing stopping the router from moving side to side. I found this out the hard way and destroyed a piece of 12/4 hard maple for my work bench. I try to put them back in and as soon as I move the router up or down, they come right back out. Anyone else experience this?
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I have a new style one, so I'm know help there. But, their customer service is top notch. Give them a call. I bet they can help you out.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Bill,

Contact Woodpeckers about this problem. Even though the lift has been discontinued, they may still have parts for it. When they did a final run a couple of years ago, they stated that some parts would still be available. The lift comes with a lifetime warranty, so even if the bushings are no longer in stock, they may be able to do something for you.

Let us know how it turns out.

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys, I wouldn't mind paying the difference for the new model. I have the Incra QR version on another table and love it. I didn't know it had a lifetime warranty, that's good news.

I've got the SW420, which is their bulletproof V2 lift with the Sidewinder adjuster, and I absolutely love it.
    I bought it through Incra because that way it comes with the Incra plate. Since I have an Incra table, their plate works best. Plus, I really like the Incra MagnaLock rings.

ForumRunner_20130330_181302.jpg

Stew Hagerty

If I understand the problem I would suggest getting some Loctite for bushings and using that to stop them moving.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Blog Entries
    Problem is, when I drive them back in to where the were, it becomes very stiff to raise & lower. I won't be back at the shop til Tuesday so I'll contact them then.

Bill,

Bushings that old could very well have a wear pattern to them and thus unless one gets them installed rotated to the correct angle, they would be stiff.

I think calling Woodpecker will be the right thing to do.

Interestingly enough...I am routing a table top for installation of a Woodpercker PRL-V2 in about 2 minutes. I discovered my new PRL-V2 doesn't have the set screws for leveling it. I just removed it from the box. So I emailed Woodpecker asking for the size and length so I can purchase some locally.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 03-31-2013 at 3:54 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Bill,

Bushings that old could very well have a wear pattern to them and thus unless it get them installed while rotated to the correct angle, they would be stiff.

Interestingly enough...I routing a table top for installation of a Woodpercker PRL-V2 in about 2 minutes. I discovered my new PRL-V2 doesn't have the set screws for leveling it. I just removed it from the box. So I emailed Woodpecker asking for the size and length so I can purchase some locally.
    Ken,

I just measured one of mine from the PRV2. it's 1/4-28 x 3/8 L.
    Dick Mahany.

Thanks Dick!
    Ken

Blog Entries
    Hey Ken, good to see you. I did notice that the bushing has an irregular lip where it flaired out when pressed in. What you say makes sense, no way of knowing where it was originally unfortunately. Now I wait til Tuesday. :-(

I had an old Woodpeck lift that had a problem, called them up, sent it back and they fixed it.
    Jay St. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Bill,

Bushings that old could very well have a wear pattern to them and thus unless one gets them installed rotated to the correct angle, they would be stiff.

Interestingly enough...I am routing a table top for installation of a Woodpercker PRL-V2 in about 2 minutes. I discovered my new PRL-V2 doesn't have the set screws for leveling it. I just removed it from the box. So I emailed Woodpecker asking for the size and length so I can purchase some locally.
    It is designed to be used in a Woodpeckers table.

From the Woodpeckers website:

Woodpeckers Router Table.jpg
    "Eight leveling screws, CNC machined opening"

For the Incra version, Woodpeckers naturally designed the plate to work with the Incra's tables, and so they have adjusting screws. They also have a special eccentric screw in one corner that keeps the lift from popping out of the opening when using the "spring assist" lifting tool.

Stew Hagerty

Blog Entries
    Yep, you were right. Life time warranty. I'll get it boxed up and on its way this week. Thanks.

Woodpecker replied to my email and asked for my shipping address so they could send me the set screws....at no charge of course! Good service from a good company. What I would expect for a premium price.
    Ken