Thread: Simple task, difficult? - Long Cylinders

Simple task, difficult? - Long Cylinders

I am looking at making a cylinder for a pedestal table that needs to be 6" x 24". While turning a small, short cylinder is easy, on such a larger, longer cylinder, I think maintaining a good cylindricity and consistant radius will be a challenge. Even a small variance on such a large piece would be noticable when you feel the piece. Are there any good tricks or methods for making a smooth, even cut over such a long surface?

Thanks in advance.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Alex, The method I use is to take a caliper and a parting tool and cut a series of groves to the desired diameter. Then take down the cylinder to the depth of those groves. I don't turn a lot of cylinders, so there may be a better way to do it, but this method works.
    Tom

I used to work for an especially good turner who used to occasionally get orders for some type of machine rollers. He used to sometimes use a block plane with the lathe on. Most furniture turnings benefit from either entasis,or a straight taper.

When I got my first lathe in '83, I had to make a table base for a customer. I didn't like the idea of only having a 12" tool rest, so went to a welding shop and had one made that was just a little longer that between spur and live center when extended to max distance. The long tool rest was nothing more that a 2 x 2 with 1/4" walls, and 2 legs that were 2" shorter than my swing. I then got a piece of 1/8" x 2" angle iron, and bolted it to the square tubed tool rest. To get equal distance from center to the tool rest, I measured from the spur and live center point, and clamped the tool rest to the lathe base. I then used a small C clamp on my gouge to only allow so much inward travel. That's the way I made "perfect" rods, cylinders or barrels. It's a simple set up, but a duplicator is probably less hassel.......Jerry (in Tucson)

I use Tom's method. At the start of sanding, I make up a 11" long block sander with 100 or 120 grit glued to a wood block. It will either take out the high points, or tell you where to turn more. When doing long tapers like walking canes, I use the mini Porter-Cable belt sander held at a 45 degree angle to the work. Lathe is on really slow speeds of course.

I use the procedure that Tom Martin describes but after I turn off the waste between the parting tool cuts I take a straight edge and place it against the cylinder and mark any high spots with a pencil. It will take several tries to get it to a perfect cylinder. Jerry Marcantel's method will also work but I like to make one final pass with a large skew to eliminate as much sanding as possible.

You can also make a temporary long tool rest using some black iron pipe and a "Tee" fitting if you can find pipe that will fit in your tool slide. It will work in a pinch. Not recommended for heavy work but will work for clean up cuts on a cylinder.

pic118993.jpgpic118994.jpg
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Getting it to rough dimension is relatively straight forward with a good tool rest and calipers.

To get it perfect (in the absence of perfect tool control) I like to use a flat nosed scraper and 80 grit sandpaper. Sanding roughs the surface, such that a scraper (or even a skew) will burnish and highlight the high/low spots.

In the end, the sandpaper will make it 'perfect enough'.

Don't worry, it's actually easier and more forgiving than it seems.

Please don't take this the wrong way but if this is going to be a pedestal under a table, how many people are going to feel it to check for perfectness? Is this a case of close enough is good enough? And as Mel said, consider a taper or entasis which can make things look more pleasing to the eye. They have been used for millenia for a reason. Don't forget to show us pictures of your finished product.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Don, I won't take that the wrong way, but 99% of the people on the creek, like me, are probably their own biggest critics. I doubt anyone else would ever notice, but I would, hah.

I don't think a taper would work, as I am going to mount legs on the column, akin to this table:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"