Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9/16 Allen Key/Hex Head

9/16 Allen Key/Hex Head

I have a press that we use a 9/16" allen key to tighten/loosen. I would like to get a bit for a drill to save on some wear and tear and speed up the process. To be honest everything I put in google doesn't come up with that I'm looking for. Is there such a thing or do I just need to buy a piece of hex bar and cut it down to length?

Thanks in advance!
    Centauro T5 Hydraulic Copy Lathe
    Epilog Mini 24 - 35 Watt
    Corel X4

I think you will have a difficult time get a 9/16" hex bar to fit in a 1/2" three jaw chuck unless you can turn it down round in a lathe.
    Richard

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/buy...cket-sets.html

There are tons if you search 9/16" hex socket.. or better yet flag down your local snap on man. Itll be pricey but youll never buy another. Ill bet craftsman shows one.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf View Post
    I think you will have a difficult time get a 9/16" hex bar to fit in a 1/2" three jaw chuck unless you can turn it down round in a lathe.
    I read it as a "press" not necessarily a drill press... Thought he was just looking for a 9/16" hex key in a socket version... put an adapter in the drill to get to 1/2" drive and spin it in and out quick. I do this all the time in the shop with impacts. I virtually never reach for a ratchet unless I need to really torque something down. I can spin the bolts out on my feeder in 15 seconds, move it to another tool, 15 more and Im back in business.

press.jpg
    Should have explained better. You can see the tool I am using on the press to tighten/loosen (happens to be welded to a drill press). Looking for a bit to go into a drill and use that rather than doing it by hand.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 35 Watt
    Corel X4

Jared - why won't a socket adapter & socket allen work?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Christensen View Post
    Jared - why won't a socket adapter & socket allen work?
    I don't need a socket, I need the allen to actually go into the hex hole to be able to tighten the press or loosen it.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 35 Watt
    Corel X4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf View Post
    Awful big chuck for sure. 5/8" maybe.
    Just stick the hex stock in a 9/16", 3/8" drive socket. Or, get a 9/16" x 1/4" hex drive socket.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 04-01-2013 at 4:57 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

What you are looking for is a 9/16 Hex Bit socket. It's a section of allen key in a standard socket drive. Sears have 'em for ~$13. Maybe your local NAPA or auto parts place would have one.
    Dick Mahany.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Greenberg View Post
    I don't need a socket, I need the allen to actually go into the hex hole to be able to tighten the press or loosen it.
    Thats exactly what he, and I gave you? You are looking for a way to not have to manually crank the T handle to tighten the vise? You want to do this with a drill. A drill with a 9/16" hex in the chuck? Forward pull trigger to tighten, reverse pull trigger to loosen? What am I missing? You buy the adapter to put in the drill, the socket to put on the adapter, insert the 9/16" hex key socket into hole, pull trigger?

?hex.jpg
    Wasn't trying to discount what you said, just wasn't making sense visually. So 3 pieces in total is that I need and one of these will get the job done?
    Epilog Mini 24 - 35 Watt
    Corel X4

well actually no - you only need 2 pieces - it's just the link I found for sears had both 1/2" & 3/8" adapters when you only need the 1/2" - the socket adapter goes into the hex drive of your drill - the allen socket snaps on the adapter and you are good to use your drill to drive allens, torx or whatever sockets you have. I have an impact driver and with that setup I can torque the snot out of fittings

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Greenberg View Post
    ?\
    Wasn't trying to discount what you said, just wasn't making sense visually. So 3 pieces in total is that I need and one of these will get the job done?
    Like Erik said, no, you need one adapter to fit whatever size socket you happen to stumble across. If your going to source this locally I would call NAPA, Advance, Autozone, Sears, and so on until you find a 9/16" hex socket. It will likely be 1/2" drive because the 9/16" is pretty good size for a hex key. Once you find the hex socket, go to the home center and buy the 1/4 socket adapter for your drill to fit the socket. Done. 15-20 bucks for the socket and 5 or so for the adapter for the drill.

It'd be tough sourcing a piece of hex stock (which will most likely be soft as butter if you need to turn a 1/2" shank on it) with shipping and machining for 25 bucks or less.

The only thing I would say is if your using an impact to tighten and loosen this thing dozens of times a day the adapter probably wont last. Better pick up an extra drive adapter as well. You will likely snap the adapter before you have problems with the socket.
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 04-01-2013 at 6:41 PM.

Maybe this? I know this is the general idea. just add the www.

cornwelltools.com/webcat/products.php?product=CBS9163-%252d-1{47}2%E2%80%9D-X-9{47}16%E2%80%9D-Hex-Bit-Socket