Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My newest project, 80% completed

You really can't compare what was done in ancient Egypt with 18th. C. practice.

Edit: After re reading the other post,I don't think he was saying that,though.
    Last edited by george wilson; 04-03-2013 at 7:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Yeah, two things required for max productivity:
    1) understanding spouse / no spouse
    2) no kids
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    I'm productive just because I don't know what else to do with myself. I only watch a few tv shows, have no kids, and only have one or two other hobbies.
    Hmm, I meet these criteria and still don't get much done. Of course, in the past year, I've looked for and started a new job, moved across the country, planned a wedding and gotten married.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    It's easy to get stuff done when you don't have much else to do!
    I guess you could say I've had a lot to do....

That and my wife works A LOT more than I do so I end up most of the stuff daily stuff around the house. Maybe I can train my cats to help with the chores.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    Maybe I can train my cats to help with the chores.

Trust me, it's not worth it! The best we ever got was my father teaching one to jump through hoops and roll over. You could have all the work done by the time you get them trained to pay attention . . .
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    Trust me, it's not worth it! The best we ever got was my father teaching one to jump through hoops and roll over. You could have all the work done by the time you get them trained to pay attention . . .
    Maybe I could at least get them to use one of these

That would save me one not so enjoyable chore and my shop would smell a lot better.

BTW, your father's cat training skills sound pretty impressive.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 04-02-2013 at 7:12 PM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Looks good .... Keep us posted!

Another vote turn a set of feet that look like those in the original. To me, those feet are a big part of the success of the form.

Looking awesome man!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    Another vote turn a set of feet that look like those in the original. To me, those feet are a big part of the success of the form.
    I probably will turn new ones and shoot for a closer match to the original. The reason I did what I did is twofold. One, I'm not a great turner Two, you see a lot of worn in William and Mary pieces with oddly shaped ball feet. Not true spheres, but more elongated. Apple shaped not orange shaped. So I was ok with the shape I was able to turn out. After it gets back from Cincy, I will most likely turn another set.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Myers View Post
    Looks good .... Keep us posted!
    Quote Originally Posted by bob blakeborough View Post
    Looking awesome man!!!
    Thanks gents! Its been fun.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

I like the original feet, too, I wasn't going to say anything because I know they'll be a trick to turn and it's not like I make anything even as nice, anyway. Some of the minor details in things don't get enough credit for being as difficult as they are - like turning those short squat feet without catching a skew or having to sand you way to a good finish (which you know the original turner didn't have to do), and things like little graceful cabinet knobs that can be a bear to turn quickly without specialized tools.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 04-03-2013 at 9:22 AM.

bird detail.jpgbottom detail.jpgfront oblique.jpgzd ad detail.jpg

Here is what I accomplished last night. This is as far as I will go before taking it down the LN show this weekend. I laid out the striping, berries and bird freehand with a soft pencil, working from the picture of the original. I threw in a couple of personalized areas so it's not exact, but it is very darn close and to the casual eye it is dead on. There are a couple of lines I'm not 100% happy with yet, so I will redo those before painting.

The striping will be done in white, leaves in green. The bird is blue, gold and red. Some of the berries will be red, others will be blue. The little dots around the escutcheons will be gold, as will the diamonds on the bottom drawer. Over all the striping and milk paint will be a dark shellac finish. This will take the brightness of the fresh striping down as well as make the box appear browner / aged but with the nice red undertone. Should be a stunner when completed!

I love these little chests!!

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I love these little chests!!
    So do I George! They are just a really cool form. Can be useful for small collections, daily junk, etc. They capture the beauty of the bigger pieces but will fit in just about any home.