Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My newest project, 80% completed

My newest project, 80% completed

Gents,

I've been busy with a reproduction of a 1727 chest by Robert Crossman. I haven't finished the finish (hah!) yet, but snapped a couple of quick pics last night after some milk paint and some scratching. It's about 22 inches square, 5 drawers, very nice little piece.

fig1.jpg small front.jpg small foot.jpgsmall right.jpgsmall overall.jpg

http://eatoncountywoodworker.blogspo...ton-chest.html

I really like the looks of the vine painting, but I must say it is intimidating! I shall press on, however, after the LN show this weekend. And the MWTCA meet in Chesaning the following weekend! Gah, too much to do!

Zach
    Last edited by Zach Dillinger; 04-02-2013 at 10:04 AM.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

I said it before, but I'll say it again. I love the projects you choose Zach. You pull them off beautifully too.

I'm glad you posted this here, and even though I periodically peruse your blog I hope you continue to post your work on SMC.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Yeah, I'm not usually one to brag on my own work on the forums, but I do love this little thing.

I'm glad you like it! This one was really, really quick. I bought the pine on March 16th and took those photos last night, with plenty of other work on other stuff in between. I figure I've got about 25 hours into it so far. Probably at least that many hours left in the painting, maybe more.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Zach,they seem to have only used oil based paints in the 18th.C.. Milk paints are 19th. C.. So says Mack Headley,Master cabinet maker in the Anthony Hay cabinet shop in Wmsbg.

As the Master Musical Instrument Maker,I was never concerned with paints. Very concerned about varnishes,though. Later,as toolmaker,I had to make and paint some wig boxes,and asked Mack about appropriate paint for them.

I thought it might be useful to know this. The chest,as usual,is very very nice work. I'd make the feet shorter and fatter,though.
    Last edited by george wilson; 04-02-2013 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Zach,they seem to have only used oil based paints in the 18th.C.. Milk paints are 19th. C.. So says Mack Headley,Master cabinet maker in the Anthony Hay cabinet shop in Wmsbg.

As the Master Musical Instrument Maker,I was never concerned with paints. Very concerned about varnishes,though. Later,as toolmaker,I had to make and paint some wig boxes,and asked Mack about appropriate paint for them.

I thought it might be useful to know this. The chest,as usual,is very very nice work.
    George, I really struggle with using milk paint on my period work. As you say, the original chest was done with a protein-based binder, either egg or oil (according to chemical analysis), but certainly not milk paint. But I have trouble getting my oil based paints to dry since I don't use lead and I'm adverse to chemical driers. I'm hoping that, by the time the dark shellac goes over the paint, the obvious "milk paintedness" of the piece goes away.

Thanks for the advice (especially on the foot turnings), and for the compliment! Means a lot! The feet aren't glued in yet, so I may turn them again.
    Last edited by Zach Dillinger; 04-02-2013 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    Yeah, I'm not usually one to brag on my own work on the forums, but I do love this little thing.

I'm glad you like it! This one was really, really quick. I bought the pine on March 16th and took those photos last night, with plenty of other work on other stuff in between. I figure I've got about 25 hours into it so far. Probably at least that many hours left in the painting, maybe more.
    I wish I was 1/4 as productive as you. I just haven't seen enough shop time lately to make much progress on my current project.

Anyway, I know you don't like to show off but please do keep posting your work. Seeing other people work, especially good work, teaches me (and hopefully all of us) a lot, and gives me lots of ideas for future projects.

If that's not enough, to get you to keep posting your work than just keep in mind that for every project thread you start, you bump a sharpening thread farther down the list :-)
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    I wish I was 1/4 as productive as you.
    You and me, too.

Looks nice, Zach. The lack of endgrain pleases the eye.

Another fine work. I'm interested in the milk paint thing ,too. Some sources say it was used on some items found in ancient Egyption tombs. Since it is a make it yourself thing it would be difficult to say exactly where and how often it was used. There could be enough information on Williamsburg to date it's use there.

Thanks gents. I'm productive just because I don't know what else to do with myself. I only watch a few tv shows, have no kids, and only have one or two other hobbies. It's easy to get stuff done when you don't have much else to do!

Yeah, two things required for max productivity:
    1) understanding spouse / no spouse
    2) no kids

Once there are kids, you're supposed to be with the kids after work, and then when they go to sleep, hopefully your shop isn't under their bedrooms. Mine is under my daughter's bedroom, and she could sleep through 10,000 shotguns going off outside her door, but unfortunately a deficiency of 1) above prohibits proving that very often.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful work, as always. I really admire the craftsmanship you display in all your projects. They give me something to aspire to.
    - Mike

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Yeah, two things required for max productivity:
    1) understanding spouse / no spouse
    2) no kids
    No kids, and my wife is super understanding of my "hobby" (read: weird fascination/obsession), a couple of times even surprising me with tools from the flea market (not a bad calls either, apparently she pays attention to my ramblings about rust) or a purchase from Lee Valley of some thing I mentioned wishing I could justify buying. Of course, the fact that I make her things from time to time doesn't hurt. . .

So I'm good there. For me the solution was really this:

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    . . . I only watch a few tv shows . . .
    That's a big part of what is key for *me* - I'm not trying to be one of those holier than thou, "I don't watch TV" types. I lived for the longest time without a TV, mostly just because I didn't have one and was too cheap to pay for cable or to buy one, so I feel like I've almost lost my immunity to it - having had one for the past few years, I find I readily get sucked in without meaning to, simply because it fascinates me. My wife can leave it on just to have some background noise - I can't do that. The last week, I've tried to be more deliberate about my "screen time" consumption. Trying to turn on the TV only to watch a specific show, and not getting sucked into whatever else is on next and turn it off when I'm done. Just turning it on because I'm bored is the kiss of death for getting anything done that day. Same thing with browsing the net - I tell myself I'll read SMC and maybe a couple of other blogs/news sources I read regularly, but I have to try and make a point of not following link after link. On my days off, trying to do my crossword and coffee and then getting started works really well. After a week or two the system seems natural and I do it - but it's easy to "fall off the wagon" and lose a day . . .

The other thing that really helps me is my work schedule - I only work half the week, (12 hour days) so I have more full days to jump onto something.

That said, even being busy lately, I'm not still not getting any wood-working done. . .
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Are you going to paint these vine ranks too, Zach? In that case I suppose you just got started on this project! Looks pretty difficult to me.

Yup, the vines will be painted, but not until after I get back from the LN show this weekend. I'm bringing this one as well as my spice chest, so I wanted it to look somewhat presentable, with the understanding that it is not finished.

I didn't mention it before, but I really like this, Zach, and am looking forward to the painting.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice