Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: US Postal Service

If you were in a hurry, 1/2 way at Fort Wayne is what, 90 minutes and a cuppa coffee away?

I find it odd that the cheapest way to ship, which is still the most convenient
    can't get any slack from us, the users. The Postal service is a bargain.

I've been seeing more deliveries lately by these hybrid UPS/USPS or Fedex/USPS services. The latter is really great for me as Fedex delivers the stuff to my post office early enough in the morning that it gets delivered the same day instead of 1 additional day wait. We ordered a case for my daughter's iPod on Saturday afternoon and it was in the mailbox Monday. An air filter I ordered for my wood chipper Sunday morning was here Tuesday.

I'm expecting a package from LV today that was sent regular UPS ground. I'm also expecting something else sent SmartPost which should have been delivered to the post office today and then me tomorrow. UPS recognized that they are already stopping here anyway and the tracking info says they will deliver the SmartPost package directly to me instead. I wonder if USPS still gets revenue from that?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Brian .....that is the point. There is no truck going directly from Tucson to Phoenix for that particular delivery service whether it is USPS, UPS or FedEx. They do have trucks doing scheduled runs overnight from (in your case) Tucson to LA and then from LA to Phoenix. It's cheaper to ship it on a scheduled truck to LA and then on a scheduled truck to Phoenix than to make a special unscheduled delivery or stop in Phoenix.
    I'm aware of there not being a specific truck...

I just figured that any truck from Tucson to LA is going through Phoenix. They probably stop to pick up packages and it would make sense to drop some off that came from other eastern locations but came down the I-10 headed to phoenix. Seems that they could've offloaded at that time instead of having it go on to LA.

That being said, that kind of routing is definitely an NP-hard type issue that is probably next to impossible to optimize...

I think people comment about perceived inefficiencies at the Post Office because we see articles every other week about how the Post Office is losing so much money.

I don't quite understand how the Post Office thinks they can save hundreds of millions or a billion a year by cutting the number of distribution centers and trucking mail longer distances. The cost of fuel is only going to go up unless someone invents some inexpensive new fuel for vehicles. Once these changes are made no first class mail will be delivered overnight even if sent to the next zip code over. I think this will reduce use of the Post Office even more when mail is never overnight anymore.

I think a lot of the expense, like was said earlier in this thread, is in handling the packages. I'd imagine they have a pretty good idea on what will save them money given their size (and ability to hire competent technical help). What they might be guessing at is the mail use for overnight, but what else would you use? UPS will confiscate your wallet if you use anything other than ground. Fed ex isn't cheap, either.

I'd imagine the USPS knows that their money isn't going to be made on letter mail and correspondence in the future, and they probably understand that if they lose a little bit of that in the short term, it won't have much effect in the long term. Packages and bulk mail are going to be what they have to make ends meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I think people comment about perceived inefficiencies at the Post Office because we see articles every other week about how the Post Office is losing so much money.

I don't quite understand how the Post Office thinks they can save hundreds of millions or a billion a year by cutting the number of distribution centers and trucking mail longer distances. The cost of fuel is only going to go up unless someone invents some inexpensive new fuel for vehicles. Once these changes are made no first class mail will be delivered overnight even if sent to the next zip code over. I think this will reduce use of the Post Office even more when mail is never overnight anymore.
    The fuel cost issue & the huge effect burning all of that extra fuel has on climate change was part of my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    If you were in a hurry, 1/2 way at Fort Wayne is what, 90 minutes and a cuppa coffee away?

I find it odd that the cheapest way to ship, which is still the most convenient
    can't get any slack from us, the users. The Postal service is a bargain.
    I guess it depends on how you define cheapest. I do not consider something that has hidden costs higher than the the price payed to be a bargain.

Let's say a private company charges $25 per month to pickup my neighbors trash. He lives outside of town. I live in town & the town charges me $7.50 per month.
    On the surface it looks like I am getting a great deal. What is not seen is that $23 per month of what I pay in property taxes also goes to paying for trash pickup.
    Not such a great deal after all.

I just got some items from eBay that were shipped from Racine, WI. I live in Fort Wayne, IN. That is 238 miles and about a 5 hour drive, even including going through Chicago.

Well these items instead went from Racine, WI to Warrendale, PA - a distance of 519 Miles.

Then they went from Warrendale to Allen Park, MI - a distance of 259 Miles

And then finally they went frm Allen Park to Fort Wayne - a distance of 154 Miles

For a grand total of 931 Miles and 5 days in transit.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

I am a new member(First post) and have been reading everything I can for the past few months. When I came across this thread and I just had to post my tracking info from Feb. I don't think you'll be able to explain away the route it traveled. But your welcome to try. When I saw it in Honolulu I thought they where going around the world just for fun.

Delivered February 28, 2013, 9:31 am
    RHINELANDER, WI 54501
    Out for Delivery
    February 28, 2013, 7:16 am
    RHINELANDER, WI 54501
    Sorting Complete
    February 28, 2013, 7:06 am
    RHINELANDER, WI 54501
    Arrival at Post Office
    February 28, 2013, 1:36 am
    RHINELANDER, WI 54501
    Processed through USPS Sort Facility