Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats a good aftermarket BS fence and rail system?

Whats a good aftermarket BS fence and rail system?

I have a 14" Cal-Hawk. I've just ordered some new blades for. I've never had a great cut from this saw. However, I'm pretty certain now it may have been crappy blades. If I can get this saw cutting straight and clean I'll buy a fence. I actually couldn't resist buying the 6" riser block for it. I should have it by weeks end. I ordered a 1/2" 3 TPI and 3/4" 3 TPI both thin kerf.

A fence is pretty much a must on a BS. I've barely used this saw since it hasn't been up to snuff. I'd like to make use of it.

Any thoughts on fences? Preferably in the $100-150 range.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

I have the Kreg bandsaw fence it cost me $110 approx. and I have liked it very much does everything I need it to do and it locks down pretty solid. Was pretty easy to setup/install on my very old Grizzly 18" saw. Now all I need are some blade guides that don't make me want to blow my brains out.........

I agree with the Kreg as a basic fence. Mine replaced a clamped board, and is used regularly. No quick and easy adjustment for drift. Has a high and low position. Don't think you will do much better in your mentioned price range.

One of the woodworking magazines recently did a review of aftermarket bandsaw fences. The grizzly fence came out on top. It's a little more than the Kreg fence, but it does seem a whole lot more versatile.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Resa...Bandsaws/H7587

I think there might be other sizes available, so take measurements of your table from front to back and call Grizzly.

I may be odd/weird but for resawing, I prefer the bandsaw fence to the right of the blade like a table saw fence. I wonder if the Grizzly fence would permit that?

I had a terrible time with the Kreg as many others report as well. A couple years ago I posted about it here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...rmatic-141-143

One bandsaw guru, Van, recommended the EZ square fence from Peach Tree. It can be found here:

http://www.amazon.com/SQUARE-BANDSAW.../dp/B000MDEHSG

This one on my Powermatic works great. It's incredibly stable and has rails on both ends. Wouldn't even consider recommending a Kreg because of the instability of it.

DSCN0530.jpg

I have the Kreg and am very happy with it, I like the way it lifts right off and I do not have to slide it to the end to get it off. I also got the micro adjuster which is really nice to get the fence right on the dimension I want.

It fit right on my Jet 14" with no problems in about 20 min.

It could be be a little taller when doing resawing but it still works for most everything I do.

I use band saw fence for book matching and it helps me a lot. You may want to make a home made fence.

I notice you've had trouble ever since buying this saw back in Feb. 2010.
    Maybe the saw isn't any good in the first place. Is it worth throwing more money at?
    A lot of people buy an expensive fence for re-sawing, but I've never had a problem using the stock fence on either Delta saws I've had.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 04-03-2013 at 4:16 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I have the Kreg fence too on a Delta 14". I like it for the reasons that the others have mentioned. I do have to check it a couple of times for the correct position as it moves a little when you lock it down. For resawing, I don't do it that often, but it would be nice to add a taller face to it and something on the outside of the board to hold it against the fence.

I thought about adding a riser block to my BS, but I hear the motor whining when resawing 6" wide poplar. I don't think a riser block would help me without a larger motor. As Myk said above, if you have had problems with this saw, you may want to cut your losses and look for something else instead of adding something to it.

Mike

I agree guys... I consider this riser block, and new blades a 'last hurrah' of sorts. I was going to just buy some new blades, but thought of the riser block and how it would be cool to give it a shot. Most guys here seem to think I have some bad blades. I measured my wheel runout and its about .005". That's not too bad, right?

I guess I could just sell all these upgrades here separately to make some cash back if I decide to upgrade. Or perhaps the upgrades will make it sell quicker and maybe at a higher price on CL.

Too bad I can't swing the Rikon on sale now. That'd be a nice addition to my shop. Oh well, I better start making some money. I'm still getting my shop together after a long hiatus. I have LOTS of little things to straighten out and a few big things like DC. Fun stuff!!!
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

I should also note that at the moment I have no fence or rail system at all. I've only done some light, infrequent, rough, scroll work since purchasing his BS.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

Maybe not the most common route but I made a vsctools fence for my grizzly band saw. The alum. Extrusions allow for a varied height and the adjustments for drift angle are very easy and very accurate. Price wise it was also impossible to beat.

steve

I just got a Kreg for my 14" Delta...nice fence...Fine Woodworking did a review of BS fences last year and rated the Grizzly and Kreg top of the heap...

Jim
    "Your beliefs don't make you a better person...your behavior does."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fred klotz View Post
    No quick and easy adjustment for drift.
    On my Kreg style fence (Fast Track model) there are brass washers on the screws that attach the fence to the slide bracket that you can place on either side of the U shaped holers to adjust for drift. However, if you adjust your saw according to Alex Snodgrass's method you will have very little if any drift with a sharp blade.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute