Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assessor came today.

Assessor came today.

I built a 30x40 pole barn last year and the tax assessor came by today to check it out. We live in a small town so the assessor drives up from the capitol. I told him it was a pole barn with a dirt floor. After letting him in to examine, he informed me that "It's not a pole barn. A pole barn is up off the ground on poles." City folk ...

Assessor: "an expert who calculates the value of property."

So, is he going to determine the value of the structure based on that?

It is amazing he even knows what a barn is!!! You should have suggested that he google pole barn, so he could be better informed!
    "So much wood - So little time ! "
    Past President Western Mountain Woodturners
    Past President Maine Woodturners

I researched how the tax assessor determined the property taxes in my area before I built my house. I wanted to build a dream home and still keep my taxes low. There are creative ways to design and build that help. After I built, I found this book at the library.
    http://www.amazon.com/Your-Low-Tax-D...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

I lucked out. I did most of the tricks in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    So, is he going to determine the value of the structure based on that?
    LOL... I don't know. I tried to explain to him what a pole barn was but he didn't believe me. Said he would make a note that it had a dirt floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Arney View Post
    I built a 30x40 pole barn last year and the tax assessor came by today to check it out. We live in a small town so the assessor drives up from the capitol. I told him it was a pole barn with a dirt floor. After letting him in to examine, he informed me that "It's not a pole barn. A pole barn is up off the ground on poles." City folk ...

Assessor: "an expert who calculates the value of property."
    tell me how a pole barn will stand IF THE POLES is up off of the ground ?
    if the barn or house are built in a floor plain [think annual ] then it will be build up on poles high above the water

Assessments locally are based on the estimated market value of the structure and land. You don't have people building houses or outbuildings with special designs just to reduce property tax bills. I know some states or counties.towns have some strange rules on how a house is counted for tax purposes.

Tell the guy that google is his friend.

Ray, I think the answer to your question is BALLOON FRAMING.

He works for the government. If he was actually competent, he would not have qualified for the job and they would have found a person with greater defects for the job.

That's pretty darn funny.

Can you imagine a stilted pole barn with a dirt floor? That would be pretty darn worthless.

Send him a link to this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stilt_house

How did he know that you built a barn?

In my county, a copy of the permit is shared with the assessor's office. If there are drawings, an extra copy must be provided for the assessor's office. I suspect it is that this is fairly common throughout California, but can only speak for my county.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Whitlow View Post
    In my county, a copy of the permit is shared with the assessor's office. If there are drawings, an extra copy must be provided for the assessor's office. I suspect it is that this is fairly common throughout California, but can only speak for my county.
    Many states, including PA, now require building permits to erect any permanent structure and it is quite normal for a copy of the permit to be shared with the local tax office. The tax office ids charged with keeping the property values up to date so that the tax burden is shared appropriately. After all, property taxes are how the government finances all the things they do for us like roads, police, fire protection etc.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

It's a wonder he didn't think a Pole barn had to be built in Poland.
    Dave

Nothing is idiot-proof for a sufficiently ingenious idiot!