Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E.C. Atkins fans?

E.C. Atkins fans?

I've developed an affinity for Atkins saws -- not only for their merits but also for the local history (I live in Indianapolis). Is anyone else who is particularly interested in Atkins and would like to share information?
    Michael Ray Smith

By the way, I have a copy of a speech given by H.C. Atkins, then president of E.C. Atkins, to a local Rotary club in 1939 that I got from the Indiana State Library. It's not hugely illuminating, but he discussed a bit of the company's history and some of the manufacturing technology. The PDF is too large to attach. If anyone wants a copy, send me a private message and I'll email it to you.
    Michael Ray Smith

I like the atkins saws, but I'm not so much of an intentional fan as much as I am a bottom feeder who will pick up first and second line saws when they're cheap.

I don't know anything about the company, but I have an Atkins panel saw that I love. They made nice stuff.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

I am absolutely in love with the Atkins saws. I think they're excellent saws, good looking and filed the correct way, they perform better than most saws. And I always have had a great affection for the underdogs. Only problem is that I am by no means very knowledgeable about the history or production.

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground
    Michael,

I have a dozen Atkins saws, mostly full sized saws (2x400, 2x401, 2x64, 2x53, 2x51, 1x67 and a No 1 Mitre Saw) and they all are excellent performers. The Atkins Silver Steel saws had almost a mirror shine if one can fine a mint example.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Canada's Atlantic Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Blog Entries
    I have 3 Atkins hand/panel saws and I am very fond of them. I am still looking for a couple more. I was searching for them just the other night. Not exactly sure why but the old Atkins saws seem to perform better for me than most of the others. I have one with a bend in it that I am thinking about having a professional work on. I am afraid of just making it worse. Even with the bend it cuts better than most of my other saws.

You have a good portion of the top two tiers! I had one 400 but sold it. Wish I hadn't.
    Michael Ray Smith

Being in Indianapolis, I'm also a local fan of Atkins saws.

Yeah, I know, Mark!
    Michael Ray Smith

Blog Entries
    Michael Ray,

I am a huge fan of Atkins saws! IMHO the "Silver steel" and "Damasked finish" they use make their saw plates some of the best ever made.

I especially like the # 53 and 65 with their "Perfection" style handles that place the users hand closer to the tooth line which I think gives excellent power and control.

Here are some pictures of my favorites: three 400 series and a big #53, 7 PPI crosscut saw (second from the top):
    DSC_0020.jpgDSC_0021.jpgDSC_0022.jpgDSC_0023.jpg

Here are a couple more that I'm currently in the process of restoring/sharpening -- a 8 PPI, #53 and 10 PPI 54 (yes, I know I have a big saw "problem"!).

DSC_0024.jpg

These last two will probably end up on the mega-auction site or the SWC classifieds. Feel free to shoot me a PM if anyone's interested - I'm always happy for my saws to go to a fellow Neander who will appreciate using them.

All the best, Mike

Mike,

Those are a bunch of nice saws you have there. The 400 series were the best that Atkins produced and the tension and taper in mine are excellent. I agree with you on the Perfection handles, particularly the wheat carved versions prior to 1910. I also really like the Atkins 64 and have two big 28" rippers where the extra weight in the big blades makes quite a difference in use. I am keeping my eye open for a crosscut version but the only one I have seen in the last few years was one the Michael Azmica, the saw guru, had for sale on his site a couple of months ago and it went for a princely sum well beyond my budget.

I am in the process of moving this summer and must pack up the shop for a 1000 mile road trip after which I will have more time to spend in the shop.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Here is one of my favorites. #53 22" 12 PPI cross-cut panel saw.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wyatt View Post
    Here is one of my favorites. #53 22" 12 PPI cross-cut panel saw.

Killer saw!

+1 That saw is a beauty.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik