Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General rules for workbench dimensions?

General rules for workbench dimensions?

The situation:
    - I want to build a workbench in my basement for hand tool work, all my machines will be out in the garage. (make dust in the garage, make chips in the basement)
    - I intend to install a leg vise and and chain vise.
    - The open floor space for the bench is 12'x12' after the floor and wall cabinets are in place.
    - I have a 120"x30"x2.25" maple butcherblock top for this project.

I know I need to cut it down to a more manageable length but having a hard time determining what that length should be. Are there any rules of thumb for clearance on all sides of a bench? My biggest fear is making it to big which is closely followed by making it to small.

I will be using the bench for jointing, planing, flattening, dovetailing, chisel work, carving, etc.

I know there are many many bench threads, sorry to trow another one on the pile.

What about sawing, are you going to put things in the front vise sawing? If you don't, you won't likely need more than a couple feet past the front of the bench. You'll want three or four behind to look at winding sticks.

If you're not going to do mouldings, I'd make a bench 6x2. If you are going to do mouldings, I guess I'd make it 8 but that's getting really tight on space in front of or behind the bench. YOu might just have an extra rigid sticking board instead and stick with six feet. My bench is 6 feet long. Mouldings are the only time I wish it was longer, and even at that you have to have a fairly big workpiece to want to do 8 feet of mouldings at once.

If you learn to use a double iron plane, you can have the bench against the wall and still do all of your flattening working in both directions. My bench is against a wall, I don't have a power jointer that I could use, but I do like to be able to work a plane in an X on any board that's reasonably wide or on panels, and planing with something that doesn't cause tearout even in a heavy cut is a big benefit.

Blog Entries
    The only general rule I am familiar with is the height based on what you do and how you're built. Length, depth and thickness vary with purpose. If the double-screw vise will be at the end, you obviously need a generous amount of room to be able to work without banging into things. If you're a righty and the leg vise will be on the left, once again, think generously about elbow room and maneuvering room for getting things into and out of the vise. For height I cup my hand as if I am resting my knuckles on the surface. This is a bit high for hand work and a bit low for power work but a comfortable compromise for me. YMMV.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

See, this is why I posted this here, well reasoned responses! I doubt I will be making any moldings but that could change. If I went with 7' I could have 30" at each end or I could put the leg vise end another 10" closer to the wall and leave 40" at the twin screw end.

I am a bit over 6' tall and I plan to have the bench off the wall so I can work on both side of it so I doubt I will cut it down to 24", I would like to leave it at 30".

The top has been used as a temporary bench in the garage, I am bringing it in this weekend to make room for some machines I inherited. It will rest on saw horses for now but I do want to cut it down while I have a few extra hands around.

What to do with a 30"x35"x2.25" chunk of wood?
    Last edited by Dale Murray; 04-04-2013 at 4:36 PM.

I strongly recommend reading Chris Schwarz's second workbench book, The Workbench Design Book: The Art & Philosophy of Building Better Benches. He covers just about everything you'd want to know including the rationale behind these kinds of decisions.

His rules of thumb are roughly these:
    -a bench can never be too heavy (You don't want it to move when you're pounding away on a mortise or planing a board.)
    -or too long (You can always use more space to spread out parts or support to work on long pieces.)
    -but it can be too wide (Tools get lost toward the back of the bench if it is over about 24". He recommends around 22" if you do casework because you can slip the open end of a standard cabinet over the end to work on the sides. If you get narrower than 18" it can get a little tipsy though.)
    -or too tall. (This comes down to body mechanics. You want to be able to get your whole body involved when you're working, especially planing. If the bench is too tall you end up doing all the work with your arms and you tire out much faster.)

Reading through the book will help you understand better when you break the rules.

I hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Charles
    Last edited by Charles Wiggins; 04-04-2013 at 4:45 PM.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Put a bench grinder on one side of it (opposite wall from the bench and parallel to it so the frass goes parallel with the bench on the other side of the room, and not toward the bench) and sharpening stones on the other with a board in between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Murray View Post
    What to do with a 30"x35"x2.25" chunk of wood?
    Make a joinery bench!
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Generally for hand work you want it not deeper than 24" or so, and as long as possible. If using hand planes you need a few feet on either end so you don't bang into things when planing and so you can access the end of the bench. In your case I'd go with 24x84, and place it off-center on your wall so you've got more space by the end vice. This is the size of my bench, so I can testify that it works. I built something like the Holtzapffel bench from Chris Schwarz's book, but now that the Moxon vice is more common I'm not sure I'd do the twin-screw face vice were I to do it again.

Also, according to physics you will get the least sag overall if the top overhangs the legs by about a fifth of the total length on each end (making the distance between the legs 3/5 of the total top length). This overhang also gives space to mount end vices. Put the front edge of the top flush with the front face of the legs, and make the rear jaw of the front vice flush with that. This lets you clamp large objects against the front of the bench.
    Last edited by Chris Friesen; 04-04-2013 at 5:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Friesen View Post
    Also, according to physics you will get the least sag overall if the top overhangs the legs by about a fifth of the total length on each end (making the distance between the legs 3/5 of the total top length). This overhang also gives space to mount end vices. Put the front edge of the top flush with the front face of the legs, and make the rear jaw of the front vice flush with that. This lets you clamp large objects against the front of the bench.
    That's really helpful. I was reading the thread thinking about my next bench and always wondered what the maximum overhang was. I have been thinking of using the new-ish Lee Valley quick release tail vise on a bench without a skirt. I think that vise needs around 18" and wasn't sure how long the base needed to be to support that. I assume that means the bench should be around 7.5' long with 1.5' overhangs at each end. Do you know if there is a maximum length to prevent the overhang from sagging?

Steve

Somewhere I ran across a recommendation to have 4 ft. of space off the ends of a bench. Having had to squeeze my small bench (5 ft) into an 8 ft. space, I think the 4 ft. space on the ends is quite reasonable. You could squeeze on the non-end vice end, but not on the end vice end.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Friedman View Post
    That's really helpful. I was reading the thread thinking about my next bench and always wondered what the maximum overhang was. I have been thinking of using the new-ish Lee Valley quick release tail vise on a bench without a skirt. I think that vise needs around 18" and wasn't sure how long the base needed to be to support that. I assume that means the bench should be around 7.5' long with 1.5' overhangs at each end. Do you know if there is a maximum length to prevent the overhang from sagging?
    Steve
    There's no "maximum", it just means that the further out it sticks the more it will sag. The one-fifth overhang just equalizes the sag between the end of the bench and the middle of the bench (assuming weight spread equally across the length of the bench).

I have the 9" steel quick release vise from LV. Nominally it needs 18" of space for the guide rods, but that gets reduced by the thickness of the wooden jaw. My bench is 7' long with roughly 16" of overhang past the outer edge of the leg and a 3" thick wooden jaw on the vise.

The fancy Veritas quick release tail vise (which costs almost twice as much but lets you put dog holes closer to the edge of the bench) says it needs 17" of overhang, which I'm sure would be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Friedman View Post

Steve
    If you want to keep your bench shorter (not saying you should; but it happens - I needed to to fit the space) LV's length can be worked around. As with all things vise-y, it's probably best to get hardware in hand before building, but Brian at Galoototron made it work with a thicker top (I believe they spec for a thinner top with an apron) and shorter overhang than LV suggests.

http://www.galoototron.com/2012/07/1...-v2-tail-vise/

I've been debating saving the cash for one of those myself. There's still a few things (mostly non-woodworking, my bench gets used for a lot of stuff by both my wife and I) where my Jorgensen tail vise excels; if I replaced it, I'd want to find a place to stick it. Maybe just moving it to the other corner, but it'd be much less accessible there.
    Last edited by Jessica Pierce-LaRose; 04-04-2013 at 9:34 PM.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Friesen View Post
    There's no "maximum", it just means that the further out it sticks the more it will sag. The one-fifth overhang just equalizes the sag between the end of the bench and the middle of the bench (assuming weight spread equally across the length of the bench).

I have the 9" steel quick release vise from LV. Nominally it needs 18" of space for the guide rods, but that gets reduced by the thickness of the wooden jaw. My bench is 7' long with roughly 16" of overhang past the outer edge of the leg and a 3" thick wooden jaw on the vise.

The fancy Veritas quick release tail vise (which costs almost twice as much but lets you put dog holes closer to the edge of the bench) says it needs 17" of overhang, which I'm sure would be fine.
    Thanks Chris.

I have the Large 10-1/2" LV steel QR vise on the end of mine, which needs 20" (It used to be my front vise). I only had a couple of inches of overhang on that end and knew the bench had a limited life left, so I just used blocking and cut out a part of the stretcher to make it fit. Problem is the blocking puts the vise screw too far away from the top of the bench and needing to keep the mechanism behind the leg forces the bench holes too far away from the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    If you want to keep your bench shorter (not saying you should; but it happens - I needed to to fit the space) LV's length can be worked around. As with all things vise-y, it's probably best to get hardware in hand before building, but Brian at Galoototron made it work with a thicker top (I believe they spec for a thinner top with an apron) and shorter overhang than LV suggests.

http://www.galoototron.com/2012/07/1...-v2-tail-vise/

I've been debating saving the cash for one of those myself. There's still a few things (mostly non-woodworking, my bench gets used for a lot of stuff by both my wife and I) where my Jorgensen tail vise excels; if I replaced it, I'd want to find a place to stick it. Maybe just moving it to the other corner, but it'd be much less accessible there.
    Joshua,

Thanks for that link. I like having at least one QR steel vise on the bench because I use it for so many non-working things, but the LV end vise just seems to be the perfect end vise - if you have an apron, or enough overhang to fit it. The Galootron article is really helpful. I would love a 7 or 8 foot bench with 18" overhangs on each end, but that's really stretching the space. My current bench is only 5' long and I would be thrilled with even another foot of length. I never understood the importance of bench length until I tried to assemble a 4' table on a 5' long bench. Yes - lots of stuff ended getting pushed off onto the concrete floor.

Steve

If I understand it correctly, you will have a vise on only one end? If so, I would recommend using a portion of your off cut as a drop leafon the non vise end with heavy hinges, and a swinging gate leg to support it when you get in a situation where you could use the length. You may be able to position the bench so you don't have to move it to utilize the extra length. It will be plenty strong and sturdy for occasional work support and the like.