Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Porter Cable Router SMOKING !!

The geniuses thought they had better introduce another battery platform into the market, of which they already own 1 or 2.
    To do that, it made perfect sense to discontinue one of the top router lines, arguably the industry standard (at least at one time)

When mine go, I'll see who's making quality routers at the time, it won't be a S/B&D tool.

The thing is, Edward, the DeWalt routers are kinda really good. The DW618 is a workhorse for a 12 amp router system and the DW625 remains one of the best dedicated mid-power plunge routers on the market...originally an Elu machine and still around with tweaks over time. My DW618 is the only non-Festool router I own (other than the big, old PC7518 from the early 2000s in my router table) and I use it more than I expected I would. That said, there are similar options from other names like Makita, Bosch, Triton, etc. It's good to have choices.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Try to buy one.
    Post back with where it is available.
    They were cleared out over a year ago.
    Ron
    Hmmm, I wonder why the 690s are still listed if there's no intention of bringing them back?

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Hmmm, I wonder why the 690s are still listed if there's no intention of bringing them back?
    I'd guess it's a clerical error. SB&D said long ago that all that stuff was discontinued. They still have the PC name in the marketplace, but it's consumer-focused battery "kits" of tools. You can see some of that stuff at the True Value next to the new Giant in D'town.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'd guess it's a clerical error. SB&D said long ago that all that stuff was discontinued. They still have the PC name in the marketplace, but it's consumer-focused battery "kits" of tools. You can see some of that stuff at the True Value next to the new Giant in D'town.

For the record , PC still has a router for sale, though it's kinda anemic:

https://www.rockler.com/porter-cable...BoCHggQAvD_BwE

The thing is, Edward, the DeWalt routers are kinda really good. The DW618 is a workhorse for a 12 amp router system and the DW625 remains one of the best dedicated mid-power plunge routers on the market...originally an Elu machine and still around with tweaks over time. My DW618 is the only non-Festool router I own (other than the big, old PC7518 from the early 2000s in my router table) and I use it more than I expected I would. That said, there are similar options from other names like Makita, Bosch, Triton, etc. It's good to have choices.
    Good to have choices, yes.
    Eliminating one of the top router lines to launch another battery platform line is not wise IMO.
    Personally I'm sick and tired of having too many platforms, who needs another. It's not like the made the new PC batteries the same as Dewalt or B&D or Craftsman. They own them all.
    I really wish they would decide on an industry standard battery connection, them the various companies could devote more resources to the actual tool.
    At last count, I already have 6 different battery platforms, out of necessity. And now, no way to repair a broken PC router.
    Stanley/Black&Decker has lost my business. I do my best to NOT purchase anything from them if I can help it.

There actually is a "standard" battery platform out there that some less known brands use, AFAIK. I forget the name of it, of course. I don't think you'll see any of the major brands trending in that direction, however, as their battery prowess, "live or Memorex" is part of the marketing and they want you using just their tools as much as possible. Milwaukee has made an art of this and with such a wide breadth of tools in both 12v and 18v, they have garnered an impressive market share, especially in the commercial space. DeWalt is working hard in a similar way, but don't have as many "toys" as the red brand does.

That said, relative to routers, batteries are not really all that material to this thread and few of us use battery operated routers. Although I'd like to get a battery operated trim router for convenience at some point.
    --

While we're discussing porter cable and batteries........................anyone remember this gem:

first battery powered router ? ahead of its time ?

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2005...er-9290-review

That said, relative to routers, batteries are not really all that material to this thread and few of us use battery operated routers. Although I'd like to get a battery operated trim router for convenience at some point.
    I have to disagree a bit,
    S/B&D cut the router line of PC to launch a battery platform for PC.
    They already own three battery platforms, was there really a need for a fourth, especially at the expense of the routers?
    I'll also add that I think PC routers didn't have anything too impressive after the 890 line of tools. Their trim router was also pretty sad, maybe it was time. Maybe the designer moved on to another company.

I'll have to disagree back...SB&D deprecated the PC brand nearly totally in favor of DeWalt and Craftsman, but kept the brand alive for "something below Craftsman" as it was a recognizable brand. While batteries came into play for sure for product released-- because that's where the market has gone and that's what mass market customers expect--batteries were not the reason that the broad PC router range was discontinued. They made the active decision to not have two essentially closely competing brands in their portfolio, so it was either smack down PC or smack down DeWalt. Yellow got the nod to be the top of the line as a result. I do agree that things were already going "downhill" by the time the PC890 variant came into being, however.
    --

I remember when they first rebadge what was the firstorm line of B&D to Porter Cable and I heard somebody in Lowes say "I can't believe I bought a Porter Cable Drill for only 60 bucks". What a sham it was.

I'll have to disagree back...SB&D deprecated the PC brand nearly totally in favor of DeWalt and Craftsman, but kept the brand alive for "something below Craftsman" as it was a recognizable brand. While batteries came into play for sure for product released-- because that's where the market has gone and that's what mass market customers expect--batteries were not the reason that the broad PC router range was discontinued. They made the active decision to not have two essentially closely competing brands in their portfolio, so it was either smack down PC or smack down DeWalt. Yellow got the nod to be the top of the line as a result. I do agree that things were already going "downhill" by the time the PC890 variant came into being, however.
    I do agree, while I certainly don't know the internal decisions, I can say it didn't help the consumer at all IMO.
    I can remember when;
    B&D used to be a good tool brand, they neutered them years ago, now they make small appliances.
    Craftsman used to be a highly regarded brand, now it's all but a joke.
    PC used to have a nice line of power tools with their routers being an industry standard, the discontinued them.
    I guess it's all up the Dewalt now.
    How long before a hedge fund manager spins them off and dissolves the brand?

This is why I won't buy their products if I can help it. There is little guarantee (even less than most manufacturers) that they'll be around in a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I do agree, while I certainly don't know the internal decisions, I can say it didn't help the consumer at all IMO.
    I can remember when;
    B&D used to be a good tool brand, they neutered them years ago, now they make small appliances.
    Craftsman used to be a highly regarded brand, now it's all but a joke.
    PC used to have a nice line of power tools with their routers being an industry standard, the discontinued them.
    I guess it's all up the Dewalt now.
    How long before a hedge fund manager spins them off and dissolves the brand?

This is why I won't buy their products if I can help it. There is little guarantee (even less than most manufacturers) that they'll be around in a couple of years.

This is such a quaint trip down memory lane. I remember when a gallon of gas cost less than 70cents and a phone call was a dime at a public phone booth.

I also remember when PanAm was the global airline, Blockbuster ruled the home entertainment world, and there was a Fotomat on just about every corner around. Businesses aren't around to "help" the consumer. They exist to make a buck for their shareholders by providing a good or service. Consumers' needs, wants, means, and social agendas are always in flux. Which means companies and products are too - especially when they become "public" companies. When that happens, there are just too many interests vying to change the ship's speed and direction.

The constant is that everything is always in flux. Today's darlings will almost certainly be replaced in the future - just like Sears, GM, and Porter Cable. I have a lot of respect for the fellas over at B&D simply because they're still here and aren't on life support or the government doll. You and I might not agree on their strategy of flogging old dying horses , but they are still making a go of it unlike the turkeys they've gobbled up.

The other nice thing about it is that you/we have a lot more choices of what brand of tool to buy and where we can purchase them today they we did back in the golden era of the legacy brands you remember.
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 06-16-2023 at 9:31 AM.