Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw Gloat

Saw Gloat

I posted a while back trying to decide on a set of saws. I ended up going with blackburn saws, a small company in Pa. The saws are gorgeous as you can see, but they cut like a dream too. I can definitely recommend them to anyone. The dovetail is walnut burl, and the two 14in sash saws are crotch walnut.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice looking saws! Congrats!

Yes, Issac makes a very nice saw. Congrats.

Those look very nice! I'm glad I ordered from him a while back, knowing that they work as good as they look. I can't wait for mine!

Very nice looking saws! Just the right amount of a personal touch without going overboard. Classic!

Blog Entries
    Those look Gorgeous ! very tasteful.

Blog Entries
    Sweet set of saws.

Any tips on how to convince my wife I should buy some more saws?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Sweet set of saws.

Any tips on how to convince my wife I should buy some more saws?

jtk
    Do you have a birthday coming up? Anniversary? I guess Father's Day is on the horizon, if you have kids. Memorial Day isn't typically a gift-giving day, but you could give it a shot. You've missed Easter already. How about Arbor Day or Earth Day? Save up some cash and buy a saw with a money order to keep it under the radar?

Blog Entries
    Save up some cash and buy a saw with a money order to keep it under the radar?
    Hardly, my wife can take a deep sniff and tell whether it is Lincoln, Hamilton or Jackson hitching a ride in my wallet. Grant or Franklin and she waits until I am asleep.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Nice saw. Looks very well built. What's the little doo-dad on the front of the backbone do? Is it some type of sighting device?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Nice saw. Looks very well built. What's the little doo-dad on the front of the backbone do? Is it some type of sighting device?
    It's the equivalent of a nib on a handsaw. You could use it for sighting, or for holding on a blade guard, or any of a dozen other things.

In truth, it is a purely decorative touch that arose from a fortunate mistake. When you mistakenly begin to cut the spine 1/4" too short, and are loathe to waste the time and money that went into the spine and saw, you need to find a creative way to salvage it. And when people like that detail, well, you just roll with it.

Thanks again, Aaron. Glad you are enjoying them.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Smith View Post
    It's the equivalent of a nib on a handsaw. You could use it for sighting, or for holding on a blade guard, or any of a dozen other things.

In truth, it is a purely decorative touch that arose from a fortunate mistake. When you mistakenly begin to cut the spine 1/4" too short, and are loathe to waste the time and money that went into the spine and saw, you need to find a creative way to salvage it. And when people like that detail, well, you just roll with it.

Thanks again, Aaron. Glad you are enjoying them.
    And all this time I thought it was a cigarette holder... saw... puff... saw.... puff. Just make sure all your finishes and shavings are put away!

Seriously though, lovely lovely saws. Congrats! Isaac clearly does very very nice work. Great wood selection on the handles!
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Smith View Post

Lemonade from lemon--gotta love it!

Extremely accurate sculpting!!! The nib on a saw was for tying a slotted stick over the teeth of a saw. The string went behind the nib in front,and through the handle opening at the back.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Extremely accurate sculpting!!! The nib on a saw was for tying a slotted stick over the teeth of a saw. The string went behind the nib in front,and through the handle opening at the back.
    Hmm. I am going to have to try that.