Thread: Sources /Choices for Lacquer / Conversion Varnish

Sources /Choices for Lacquer / Conversion Varnish

I'm over fighting to get water-borne finishes to finish correctly. Last year I built an explosion proof spray booth. So I have the ability to spray lacquer or conversion varnish, or most things.

What would be a good choice of finish to use on furniture? I've heard good things about ML Campbell and Gemini products. Not sure if I can find a dealer in the Tampa area.

Is pre-cat lacquer easier to apply than post-cat? Is conversion varnish a better choice as it's more durable? is there another better option?

I need to pick the collective wisdom of the smarter minds here.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I'm no expert but went through your same quandry several years ago. I wanted something available locally and easy to apply.

I have only use the pre-cat lacquer (Sherwin Williams) and really like the finish.

I've been *told* that lacquer gives a more natural look; I know it looks better than poly but I cannot speak to others.

As for pre- vs. post-, the pre- keeps ypu from having to deal with the acid that is used for the catalyst, dealing with precision measurement and dealing with the thorough mixing required of the cat into the mix.

It may have been partly the sell but it sure goes on easy and looks good!! :-)
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

I was able to find Chemcraft Lacquers, locally. The SW commercial store is about 25 miles away. Doable, but inconvenient. Pity, because there are many SW stores around here, but they don't carry wood finishes.

The Chemcraft Varicure looks fantastic sprayed, and they were very helpful and a local business, so I think I'll likely stick to that.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I was able to find Chemcraft Lacquers, locally. The SW commercial store is about 25 miles away. Doable, but inconvenient. Pity, because there are many SW stores around here, but they don't carry wood finishes.

The Chemcraft Varicure looks fantastic sprayed, and they were very helpful and a local business, so I think I'll likely stick to that.
    In North Carolina our local SW stores are willing to bring into my closest store any SW products I need. Couldn't hurt to ask the local store manager. I use the Sher-wood precat lacquer and mix myself, because I can better control my shelf life. The SW store usually premixes the precat in house when you pickup, unless you request otherwise.

BTW, ML Campbell is now owned by Sherwin Williams.

Tony
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Joyce View Post
    In North Carolina our local SW stores are willing to bring into my closest store any SW products I need. Couldn't hurt to ask the local store manager. I use the Sher-wood precat lacquer and mix myself, because I can better control my shelf life. The SW store usually premixes the precat in house when you pickup, unless you request otherwise.

BTW, ML Campbell is now owned by Sherwin Williams.

Tony
    Hmm, worth a try to get them to send it over. The local guy didn't volunteer that when I walked in the store looking for it.

I asked if they have ML Campbell. I got a blank stare, though that also was just the local store.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Hmm, worth a try to get them to send it over. The local guy didn't volunteer that when I walked in the store looking for it.

I asked if they have ML Campbell. I got a blank stare, though that also was just the local store.
    The ML Campbell products are not distributed through the SW stores, different network of dealers.

The local SW store did not stock the wood finishing line, but offered to stock the items I used when they found out I ran a cabinet shop. Main problem with that is they will have no knowledge of the products, so don't expect much support from them. You should be able to get your questions answered by calling one of the wood finishing branches.

Tony

PS: My store usually has a week turnaround time on getting product. SW trucks run the store routes weekly.
    Last edited by Tony Joyce; 05-27-2013 at 6:03 PM.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford