Thread: Injury causes rapid ring removal ..

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Injury causes rapid ring removal ..

I have a small SCM Wide belt sander. It didn't come with electric table movement, largely because its a machine popular in cabinet door shops where the thickness of work rarely changes much .. Each turn on the handle is 1/4 of a mm .. so you can imagine how long it takes to move an inch.. ( 25.4 mm )

So I adapted a corded drill and nut setter to act as a fast table movement tool, its worked fine for a few years.

As luck would have it, I was in a hurry .. and bam, the handle spinning due to the drill whacked my ring finger..

Hours later, the finger is black and blue, starting to swell..

The picture doesn't really show the color.. but believe me, it became really apparent that I needed to get this ring off and fast..

So I tried snips.. no go .. could not find the hack saw.. So I adapted a dremel grinding tool to a cordless drill .. !

Then I thought .. I should take pictures of this..

I had to find something that I could use to push the finger away from the ring.. otherwise I would grind through skin.. Getting that drill bit under the ring was really painful.. I mean eyes watering .. yikes..

Anyway.. If you ever had to do this.. I would suggest a bucket of water to cool the ring in .. 3 times it got really hot, I would go inside and run it under water.... My technique is weak..

I am pretty much sure the finger is broken above the middle knuckle. I cannot express how bad it felt to use pliers to bend the ring ..

Good example of how tight it became due to swelling ..

The picture shows that the middle finger is bruised too .. The ring finger took the brunt of the whack..
    Last edited by Rick Fisher; 04-06-2013 at 2:54 AM.