Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walnut Canister

Walnut Canister

Approx. 5 3/4"h x 4"w (including pull).

C & C always appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

Rich
    Attached Images Attached Images
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

2. Another quality piece, I do have a question- comment, Have you ever tried to turn the finial piece from the top? It looks like it was turned separate & glued to the lid. It may just but the way I am seeing it in the photo.

Bill
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Richard, that is a beautiful little box. I love the form and the bead which set off the join. Instead of concealing the join the beads celebrate it. Since you put a nice little knob on top is this a loose fit i.e. one handed operation box? Whenever I put a knob on the box I expect folks to try and open the box with it so I make sure they can.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Mike,

Yes, one-handed operation. Almost everything I make now is loose fit. The couple of suction fit boxes that I sold last year were brought back to be loosened.........

Bill,

Yes, finial turned separately.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

5. Have you ever tired to leave enough wood on the lid to turn the finial as part of the lid? Just curious as it seems like that would be more durable as a 1 piece deal.

Bill
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Very very nice Richard! Makes me want to take some of the walnut I don't know what to do with and make a couple!

Very tasteful and beautiful.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Very nice Richard!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Holland View Post
    Have you ever tired to leave enough wood on the lid to turn the finial as part of the lid? Just curious as it seems like that would be more durable as a 1 piece deal.

Bill
    Bill,

yes, I've done a few of those years ago, but like the opportunity to use a different wood for the knob. As far as strength goes, I guess you could snap the finial off, but you'd have to work at it, and I expect the lid would suffer as well.image.jpg This is a 2009 box, so be gentle.............

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

10. Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jones View Post
    Mike,

Yes, one-handed operation. Almost everything I make now is loose fit. The couple of suction fit boxes that I sold last year were brought back to be loosened.........

One thing that can make suction fit lids easier is to increase the length of the tenon on the body of the box if the design lends itself to a longer tenon. It is much easier to get a suction fit with a longer tenon which is 3/8" or more long. Raffan boxes have tenons up to 1/2" long or more in some of his designs and do not seem to have the problem of tightening up that you mention. I think that is because the longer tenon lends itself to making finer adjustments than a short tenon. I know I have fewer really tight fits since I learned this.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Mike,

Good tip for sure, thanks.

What I meant was, the owner didn't like the nice suction fit lid that I worked so hard on, wanted it loose, so back into the vac chuck it went........ They couldn't seem to grasp that it was designed to be that way.......

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Really a nice looking cannister. On cannisters I make for like flour, sugar, coffee, etc I use a loose fit lid. I have had a few of my lidded boxes come back to make the lid loose fitting because they had arthur in their hands and it made it difficult for them to get the lid off.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Extremely nice looking box/canister. The gentle curve of the sides is sweet!
    David DeCristoforo

Very pleasing shape and use of walnut grain. I like the finial.

Richard,

I suggest that you enter your box in the Baileigh Industrial Box Contest.
    The prize is $1,600.00 that you can spend on any machine on their web site.