Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Little More Wood

A Little More Wood

When I got back from Maine a couple days ago, my daughter mentioned a couple people had called about some wood I might want. I didn’t wait too long to return their calls.
    One was a tulip poplar my wifes nephew had taken down in front of his house. It may not be much for turning wood, but a bowl for one of my wifes family tends to pay dividends. It certainly makes those tool expenditures a whole lot more palatable.
    The next morning I cut the 13’ log into three sections. Each a little over 4 ‘ long and rolled them onto my trailer.
    1.jpg
    Two looked like it would be enough so made a second trip.
    2.jpg
    They came off a bit easier.
    3.jpg
    I just told my wife to put her weight behind them.
    In the afternoon, I picked up some oak and cherry burls that a tree trimmer had saved for me.
    4.jpg
    It wouldn’t roll. Just had to be dragged and pried.

The next morning it came off without a hitch,
    5.jpg
    though I did have a bit of hydraulic fluid oozing out of one of the cylinders when I set it down.
    6.jpg
    After getting the burls unloaded, I cut one of the poplar logs into more manageable pieces.
    7.jpg
    Since my power feeder/log roller was coming for dinner, I had him give me a hand.
    8.jpg
    Hope the pics were of interest!

Very nice wood. Looks like you know how to handle it too.

Pretty awesome stuff, Baxter! That should last you until the end of the week.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

love the burls, the popular is huge, how many sections did you get, about 4??????? ya never know what you are going to get down here with popular, Terry had some half white and half black, supposely lighting strike

big stuff, enjoy.......

Now that's a haul! That should keep you busy for awhile!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Ok my keyboard is getting wet looking at the equipment you have to load and haul wood. Well thought out! I believe Rude Osolnik made many of his famous candle holders out of tulip poplar. Judging from the work you've displayed here, you'll make good use of them.

Dave F.

Great pics. Look like you'll have plenty of nice pieces from it! Those huge log rounds on the trailer look scary to me. I live on a hill and if my neighbors down hill ever saw me drive into the driveway with a load like that they'd be very nervous. Have fun.
    Dick Mahany.

Now that is a haul Baxter. Should keep ya going for a day or two.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice haul! I have turned a little Tulip poplar and it turns rather nicely, as to be expected it is on the soft side.
    "So much wood - So little time ! "
    Past President Western Mountain Woodturners
    Past President Maine Woodturners

You can keep the poplar. But just drop off those two burls. I'll move my truck out of the driveway to make room...
    David DeCristoforo

Nice score on the wood. I love the "H" Farm-All; my granddad had one like it. We had a "M" that I spent many hours on.

Nice wood haul. Like the red tractor a lot, too.

You definitely loaded up your trailer with those bad boys!

I'm looking to make some modifications to my trailer and add a winch and noticed your setup. Do you "ROLL" all of the bigger logs that you load? What if they won't roll (crotches, burls, etc)? It looks like your cable wouldn't clear the back of your trailer if you were to drag the log rather than roll it. Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    love the burls, the popular is huge, how many sections did you get, about 4??????? ya never know what you are going to get down here with popular, Terry had some half white and half black, supposely lighting strike

big stuff, enjoy.......
    Charlie, I cut the poplar into three sections 50" long since that is all my bandsaw sled can handle. The other piece you may have seen in the pics is only 6-8" thick. I took it just to clean up the yard. The lower section I cut into 5/4 quarter sawn material. Its all clear. Just finished splitting the upper section. It has quite a few knots in it but I will still try and resaw it. The middle section should be mostly clear. I will try to turn a few bowls from it just to give to my wife's nephew.
    Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    You can keep the poplar. But just drop off those two burls. I'll move my truck out of the driveway to make room...
    You don't have to move it just yet David, its a bit of a drive to get there. If you want to stop by, you can have anything here you can pick up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Ford View Post
    Nice score on the wood. I love the "H" Farm-All; my granddad had one like it. We had a "M" that I spent many hours on.
    A small compact utility tractor would be a lot more practical, but it might not hold up long doing things like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gourieux View Post
    ......... Do you "ROLL" all of the bigger logs that you load? What if they won't roll (crotches, burls, etc)? It looks like your cable wouldn't clear the back of your trailer if you were to drag the log rather than roll it. Is that correct?
    Eric, I don't know if the line from the winch would clear the back of the bed or not. When I built the bracket for the winch, I wanted to keep it below the level of the pipe rail. I figured I didn't need to load an 8' log for turning. Rolling takes a lot less effort (its just an old boat trailer hand winch and an old guy doing the cranking). Keeps the wood a lot cleaner for cutting up later too. And since my chainsaw and bandsaw are doing the cutting..... Before I added the winch, I just cut things shorter and or split them on site and used a handtruck. Loaded some 300 pound pieces that way though getting them up the ramp wasn't always easy. I can crank it up now. I have the parts to build a bigger hand truck...someday. When I find the parts, I may try and build a logging arch with wheels that I can pull up for longer lengths.

btw, what are the specs on that bandsaw.......and the sled